Site Admin

Willenhall Town 1 v 2 Coleshill Town

Postby Alan Beckett » Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:48 am

Tuesday 16th August 2011
Midland Alliance
Willenhall Town 1 v 2 Coleshill Town
Scorers:
Willenhall: Craig Oldfield 6.
Coleshill: Danny Carter 37, Ben Porter 76.
Attendance: 58.

Team: Paul Hathaway, Barry Fitzharris, Steve Hakner, Jason Lanns, Loyiso Recci, Chris Lloyd, Remi Williams (Simon Volante), Ben Porter, Terry Carpenter (Jason Ramsey), Danny Carter, Oliver Spencer (Neil Kitching). Sub not used: Greg Dickie.

With Willenhall only gaining one point from their first three games and Coleshill on a high with two wins under their belt, you would be inclined to think an easy win was on the cards but although Coleshill deserved the three points, it was anything but easy. An end to end, entertaining game saw Town go behind to a young but very hard working Willenhall side and had to wait until 14 mins from time to finally get their noses in front. Danny Carter equalised on 37 minutes after the home side took a sixth minute lead when Oldfield scored with a powerfull header from a corner. Carter finished off one of the best moves of the match with a side foot curl round the keeper.
Chances continued to come for both teams in the second half but Coleshill, with two small forwards, were finding it difficult to get past a resolute home defence with their centre half dominant either in the air or on the deck. The introduction of Jason Ramsey started to put pressure on their back line and a sweeping move involving a Steve Hakner cross and a delightful Carter back flick, left Ben Porter with the easy task of side footing home the winner. Willenhall never gave up and had an effort cleared off the line in the dying minutes.

COLESHILL HERALD WROTE
Coleshill came from behind to secure victory and move to third in the Midland Alliance on Tuesday night. They fell behind to a sixth minute goal from Craig Oldfield. Danny Carter levelled the scoring on 37 minutes and Ben Porter secured the points with a goal on 76 minutes. Manager Carl Adams said "I thought we showed a lot of character. Willenhall had lost their opening two games of the season and people would have expected us to go there and roll them over. But they made it hard for us and the first half was very even. We did well to come back into the game before half time and, after the break, there only looked like being one winner, to be honest. We got the goal and that's three wins on the bounce and we have to be happy with that. There are lads in the side at the moment who have really surprised me. I have been honest with them and said that there are one or two who realistically weren't in my plans to start matches. But they have stepped up to the plate and have been doing really well so far."

Return to “First Team Match Reports 2011-2012”