Stratford Town 3 v 1 Coleshill Town

First Team Match Reports 2011-2012

Moderator: Alan Beckett

Alan Beckett
Site Admin
Posts: 2205
Joined: Sat Oct 12, 2002 11:25 am

Stratford Town 3 v 1 Coleshill Town

Postby Alan Beckett » Thu Oct 13, 2011 12:59 pm

Saturday 8th October 2011
Midland Alliance
Stratford Town 3 v 1 Coleshill Town
Stratford: Mykel Beckley 6, Josh Blake 38, Joe Wright 90.
Coleshill: Jason Ramsey 72.
Attendance: 179.

Team: Paul Hathaway, Guy Clarke, Sam Wilson, Jason Lanns, Loyiso Recci, Ben Porter, Chris Lloyd (Tom Wilmore 54), Barry Fitzharris (Chris Laight 46), Jason Ramsey, Andy Milan (Remi Williams 46), Danny Carter. Unused Subs - Tez Carpenter & Alijah McBean.

Coleshill lose out but show promise.
This was, as the saying goes, "a game of two halves" but it was also a game that Coleshill could easily have lost by four or five goals. Stratford looked really good in the first half and took an early lead when slack marking and a possible offside was taken full advantage of by Mykel Beckley. Beckley got the ball on six minutes and cut inside Guy Clarke, and there was only going to be one outcome - his curling shot left Paul Hathaway helpless. Stratford were now flying and it looked as if Coleshill were in for a torrid time but to their credit they started to steady the ship and began to grow in confidence without playing that well. They continued to improve and were just beginning to look as though they might get something from the game when they lost the ball on the half way line and a slick move from Stratford saw a gilt-edged chance fall to Josh Blake on 39 minutes and he had no problem scoring. Coleshill made two changes at half time with Barry Fitzharris and Andy Milan being replaced by Remi Williams and new signing Chris Laight. Immediately there was a significent improvement and a new desire from Coleshill who pushed Stratford onto the back foot. Remi Williams headed over from close range while Guy Clarke, who was finding some new freedom down the right flank, had two good shots well saved. At this point it was all Coleshill, yet when their goal came it was a result of an excellent save from Hathaway, whose quick clearance eventually found it's way to Jason Ramsey, whose clinical finish left Morris in the Stratford goal with no chance. Coleshill continued to dominate and it looked as if anyone would score, it would be Coleshill. But in the dying seconds Wright broke clear to score Stratford's third. Still, the second half performance was the best from Coleshill of the season. They travel to take on Boldmere St Michaels this week end.

Joe Wright scored a debut goal for Stratford Town in their 3-1 defeat of Coleshill Town. Josh Blake and Mykel Beckley were also on target for the home side with Jason Ramsey hitting a consolation goal for the visirors.

Check this out, some great pictures on home page.
In what was a classic example of that well known footballing term "a game of two halves" Town clinched the points in this Baker Joiner MFA clash with a goal from substitute Joe Wright in the last minute of normal time after dominating the first half to go in at the break two goals up, but then being given an almighty scare after the break by a revitalised Coleshill Town who pulled one back and looked more than capable of securing at least a draw until Wright's late strike.

Wright was a prolific scorer for Town's Youth team back in 2004 and had made a handful of senior appearances under Lennie Derby before moving away, but he has now returned to the area and showed that he had lost none of his net finding ability by grabbing Town's vital third goal after only being on the pitch a matter of minutes.

After resting a number of players for the midweek Birmingham Senoir Cup tie against Redditch United Morton Titterton put out his strongest available side although there were two changes to the tline-up which started at Stafford last weekend. Joss Holford deputised for Danny Haynes who missed his first match of the season, while last Saturday's super sub Josh Blake was preferred to Nick Pollard up front.

The Coleshill team included Danny Carter who had a generally disappointing spell at Town after moving from Coleshill midway through last season. Now back with the Pack Meadow club he has been amongst the goals again but he seldom looked like adding to his tally here.

Town's recent Cup exploits have seen their Baker Joiner MFA programme take a back seat and this was only second League game since August Bank Holiday Monday. Seemingly determined to make up for lost time they made a lively start with a couple of promising runs from dangerman Ben Mackey only being halted by the offside flag, and Coleshill were already struggling to cope when Town went ahead after just six minutes.

Mark Faulds set up the opening g with a defence splitting pass from inside his own half into the path of Mykel Beckley who outpaced the Coleshill defenders and fired the ball past the advancing keeper Paul Hathaway.

Soon after Hathaway had to sprint out of his area to kick clear as Blake chased a through ball from Chris Murphy, and Town came close to doubling their lead either side of the quarter hour mark.

First Mackey controlled a looping centre from Faulds to expertly turn past his marker and fire in a crisp left footer which fizzed inches over, and then his persistence earned a corner which was only cleared as far as Murphy whose cross was headed against the bar by Stuart Herlihy with Hathaway well beaten.

And with Town bossing the possession it seemed to be only a matter of time before they built up a match winning lead.

But with Coleshill defending doggedly and Town often trying to be too elaborate with their final pass that didn't happen and the expectant crowd had to wait until the 38th minute when the ex-Leamington duo of Blake and Mackey combined to create the crucial second goal.

Blake began the move by robbing the dithering Jason Lanns and threading the ball through to Mackey before timing his run into the penalty area to perfection as he met Mackey's return pass with a clinical finish past the helpless Hathaway.

And in the closing minute of the half Town were almost gifted a third when Sam Wilson's wayward header looked to be going in until Hathaway somehow got across to make the save.

Half Time - Stratford Town 2 Coleshill Town 0

Realising that they were fortunate to be only two down Coleshill made a double substitution at the restart, and should have pulled a goal back almost immediately but Remi Williams put a free header wastefully over from six yards out.

But that nevertheless gave Coleshill the encouragement to press further forward, and in the 50th minute they put together a flowing move which ended with right back Guy Clarke hitting a rasping effort which was beaten away by Town keeper - and skipper for the day - Richard Morris in his first serious action of the afternoon.

Suddenly it was a different game with Town unable to recapture their first half buzz, and as Coleshill took over in midfield the Town defence came under some sustained pressure.

Fortunately the return of Andy Gregory has added some much needed calmness and assurance to the Town backline, and with both Adam Cooper and Holford giving solid support backed up by Morris's confident handling Coleshill couldn't make a breakthrough until the 72nd minute when ironically it stemmed from a rare Town attack.

Faulds and Murphy worked the ball through to Blake some ten yards out and he appeared certain to put Town three up but Hathaway made a brilliant save low to his right and Loyiso Recci completed the clearance by lashing the loose ball upfield.

And with Town for once caught napping the alert Jason Ramsey ran on to shoot past Morris and give Coleshill real hope of taking something from the game

Town didn't help themselves by conceding a number of free kicks and corners but the nearest Coleshill came to an equaliser was in the 85th minute when Clarke again got forward to test Morris with a fiercely struck shot which the Town keeper could only hold at the second attempt.

And in the 90th minute Town made the game safe when Pollard picked up a clearing header from Gregory and sent Wright clear down the inside left channel to coolly slot the ball past Hathaway as the keeper came out to challenge.

There was still time for Morris to make a smart save from Ramsey, but Town's first half performance had been enough to see them through to their third League win of the season.

Return to “First Team Match Reports 2011-2012”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest