Coleshill Town 1 v 3 Nuneaton Griff

First Team Match Reports 2003-2004

Moderator: Alan Beckett

Alan Beckett
Site Admin
Posts: 2212
Joined: Sat Oct 12, 2002 11:25 am

Coleshill Town 1 v 3 Nuneaton Griff

Postby Alan Beckett » Mon Oct 06, 2003 9:51 pm

SATURDAY 4th October 2003
Scorer: Craig Davies.

More changes and new faces came in for the visit of Nuneaton Griff as once again Manager Tony Gormley's defensive options were devastated by injury. Allan Thomas, Craig Risdill, Adam Whyte and Lee Colvin were all unavailable. New signing Kevin Sievwright came straight into the team and hat-trick hero for the Youths in midweek Sean Hegarty took his place on the bench.
Coleshill opted for an attacking minded three up front to try and compensate for a make shift defence and the plan very nearly paid off. Town made a lively opening playing almost entirely in the visitors half and on five minutes Lee Dempster released Craig Davies but the Griff keeper saved the strikers shot at full length. Coleshill continued to pile forward but the game was turned on its head as Griff scored three times in fifteen minutes. Sweeper Lee McClean tried to prevent a corner but inadvertently presented the ball to Nuneaton who instantly crossed into the danger area. Coleshill desperately tried to clear the ball but as Frank Woodburn flung himself at an attempted shot the ball struck his raised hand for a penalty. Jason Brindley scored from the spot. Left wing back Jamie Williams was allowed far too much time and space resulting in an inch perfect cross to the far post were Halford scored with a diving header. And just two minutes later Williams was on the end of a sweeping move to sweetly shoot home from the edge of the box. Coleshill tried to get back into the game with Davies at the centre of every good move. First he took a free kick from 25 yards, which flew just over. Davies then shot wide before setting up Jackson who did the same, and on the stroke of half time Davies stroked the ball past the keeper only to see his effort rebound to safety off the post.
The air in the dressing room was blue at half time as everyone expressed their anger and it did result in a better second half but with a three-goal cushion, Griff always looked assured of the three points. Carl Smith had a shot well saved before Town finally got some reward. The best move of the game involving Mitchell Thompson and Dave Jackson presented Davies with a tap in for his eleventh of the season. Coleshill continued to slightly have the better of the play but it was Griff who came closest to adding to the score line when they hit the bar.
Apart from the 15-minute spell just before the half hour mark, the teams were evenly matched but losing is becoming a habit for Town and it is now affecting the previously excellent dressing room atmosphere. Assistant Manager Dave Morbey could take no more and resigned immediately after the game to leave Tony Gormley with even more problems.

Team:- Danny Moseley, Chris Gray, Frank Woodburn, Lee McClean, Carl Smith, Kevin Sievwright, Dave Jackson (Steve Fulford), Paul McColgan, Craig Davies, Mitchell Thompson, Lee Dempster (Sean Hegarty). Sub not used Tony Gormley.

Return to “First Team Match Reports 2003-2004”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest