Coleshill Town 1 v 0 Continental Star

First Team Match Reports 2003-2004

Moderator: Alan Beckett

Alan Beckett
Site Admin
Posts: 2212
Joined: Sat Oct 12, 2002 11:25 am

Coleshill Town 1 v 0 Continental Star

Postby Alan Beckett » Mon Dec 01, 2003 2:02 pm

Scorer: Kevin Wagstaff.

Coleshill started life without leading goalscorer Craig Davies after his transfer to league leaders Romulus. Name sake Chris Davies took over the No 9 shirt and Carl Smith (returning from a long term injury) took his place in midfield. Steve Lees still hadn't recovered from a knock in the previous game so Manager Mick Beadle had to reshuffle the defence. Frank Woodburn moved to centre back, Derek Wilkes to Left back and Kevin Wagstaff came in at left midfield for only his second start. Continental had already beaten Coleshill twice this season and were well on the way to a third victory when they were awarded a penalty midway through the first half. Craig Jones made one of many fine saves to deny Star and Coleshill battled all the way to just about deserve the three points. Continental's style of play never changes. The get the ball forward quickly and fill the side with quick, strong, willing workers who never allow you to settle on the ball. To get anything from a game against Star you have to work hard.

Coleshill started brightly with Chris Davies at the centre of the action. Town had an appeal for a penalty turned down when a Davies cross for Pete Hall bobbled up and hit a hand and then Davies had the ball in the net but was clearly off side. In an even contest Star were starting to find some rhythm and their No 9 went through three challengers before bringing out the first of many good saves from Coleshill stopper Craig Jones. The same player then returned to jostle with centre back Simon Wczasek. Both payers were guilty of using any means to gain an advantage but when the powerful forward broke clear his shirt was pulled in the action of shooting. The Referee awarded a penalty without much argument from the Town defence. Jones again came to the rescue to guess right and make a fine save. Coleshill hit back with one of the best moves of the game but as they worked the ball to the edge of the box Hall, Davies and Falconbridge all had chances to shoot but chose to pass instead and the chance went begging. The twenty minutes before half time saw Coleshill have their best spell as they pushed Star back into their own half.

Continental came out more determined in the second half and started to take the game to Coleshill. In a ten minute spell when Town gave the ball away too easily Star had a cross go clear across the goal mouth, a shot just wide of the post, a lob that hit the bar and bounced to safety and a shot from distance just clear the bar. Coleshill hit back when a sweeping move out of defence saw Kevin Wagstaff swing in a cross from the left which reached Pete Hall. As he attempted to go past his marker the ball bounced up and hit the hand of the Star player and Coleshill were awarded a free kick on the edge of the box. Wagstaff took the kick himself and found the top corner of the net with the keeper well and truly stranded. Star pilled forward with players coming from every direction, Coleshill needed to keep their shape and discipline. Town did hit Star on the break with Davies cleverly back heeling to Wagstaff who forced a good save from the visitors keeper. Star were now camped in Coleshill's half but the home team showed great strength and character to hold on and gain three very valuable points.

Team:- Craig Jones, Chris Gee, Simon Wczasek, Frank Woodburn, Derek Wilkes, Gary Falconbridge (Danny Nixon), Carl Smith, Gareth Langford, Chris Davies, Pete Hall, Kevin Wagstaff. Subs not used Tony Gormley, Jamie Cartwright.

Return to “First Team Match Reports 2003-2004”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest