Massey Ferguson 1 v 2 Coleshill Town

First Team Match Reports 2003-2004

Moderator: Alan Beckett

Alan Beckett
Site Admin
Posts: 2212
Joined: Sat Oct 12, 2002 11:25 am

Massey Ferguson 1 v 2 Coleshill Town

Postby Alan Beckett » Sun Dec 07, 2003 7:43 pm

Scorers: Kevin Wagstaff, Simon Wczasek.

It's a year since Coleshill enjoyed back to back wins in the Premier league but as with the 1-0 success over Continental Star last week Town had to work desperately hard to overcome a determined and aggressive Massey team. The last time a double was achieved was 14th December, 1-0 away to Handrahan Timbers and a 1-0 win at home to Nuneaton Griff on 21st December 2002. Those two wins kept Coleshill in the top ten but the latest six points will prove to be far more valuable as Town put daylight between themselves and the foot of the table.

Manager Mick Beadle would have liked to pick the same side that defeated Star but Frank Woodburn was unavailable, so Beadle opted for a 3-5-2 formation and brought in Mitchell Thompson to partner Pete Hall up front.

Games against Massey are always close, the Coventry side just managing to take the points at Pack Meadow with an injury time winner. This game was tight throughout with Coleshill enjoying the better of the first half but the home team pinned back Town for virtually the whole of the second half. Massey should have been in front before Coleshill settled into any rhythm as the defence opened up but somehow Wagstaff managed to get a block in with the goal gaping. Town started to play some neat and enterprising football. Wagstaff hit a shot straight at the keeper then Pete Hall looped the ball just past the post from a Gareth Langford flick on. A Wagstaff cross was dropped by the home keeper and he clearly pulled back Carl Smith in an effort to retrieve the situation. The Referee must have been the only person not to see the incident which was a stonewall penalty. Town maintained the attack and Wagstaff saw his shot blocked on the line. In the next attack a sweeping move involving Davies, Langford and Thompson set up Hall who blasted over. Hall slipped his marker and forced a corner. Simon Wczasek looked to be pushed as he attempted a header but justice was done when a second corner was swung in, the keeper made a mess and Wczasek headed into the net. Coleshill were good value for their lead at this point and should have put the game beyond Massey but they refused to lie down and aggressively battled for everything. Chris Davies was just denied at the last as he danced through the defence and was unlucky with a header from the resulting corner. A Mitchell Thompson run and cross found Wilkes via a Davies flick on but his shot went wide. A Wagstaff free kick found Davies unmarked but his header was well saved. Massey hit back just before the break with a shot from a free kick then they were denied a penalty when their leading scorer Harris tricked his way into the box but his fall looked more like a dive than a push.

The second half started even but Massey soon drove Coleshill back as they gave the ball away too easily. Jones had to be quick off his line to intercept a weak back pass and Massey maintained the pressure on the Coleshill goal as another effort was cleared off the line. The Town defence was under siege but were coping when Steve Lees took a swing and miss to a harmless cross to let in Steve Frankish who rounded the keeper to level the scores. Coleshill tried to regain a foothold in the game and had the ball in the net from a Wczasek header but it was a clear push. Then with ten minutes remaining Town mounted an attack down the right, and when the ball was switched to the left Wagstaff had room to set himself up for a shot. As a defender lunged to block the ball spun up and over the stranded keeper into the net to restore Coleshill's lead. Massey through caution to the wind to mount attack after attack but Coleshill held firm with keeper Jones surprisingly having few saves to make.

Team;- Craig Jones, Chris Gee, Steve Lees, Simon Wczasek, Derek Wilkes, Carl Smith (Jamie Cartwright), Chris Davies, Gareth Langford, Mitchell Thompson (Gary Falconbridge), Pete Hall, Kevin Wagstaff. Sub not used Danny Nixon.

Return to “First Team Match Reports 2003-2004”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest