Coleshill Town 1 v 3 Feckenham

First Team Match Reports 2003-2004

Moderator: Alan Beckett

Alan Beckett
Site Admin
Posts: 2206
Joined: Sat Oct 12, 2002 11:25 am

Coleshill Town 1 v 3 Feckenham

Postby Alan Beckett » Sun Dec 14, 2003 4:03 pm

Scorer: Chris Gee.

Manager Mick Beadle's defensive options were severely restricted with the unavailability of both Frank Woodburn and Simon Wczasek and so Coleshill fielded possibly the smallest back three in the league against the tallest team. As a consequence, the visitors dominated the aerial battle and deservedly won but Town had their bright spells with the ball at their feet and if they had not conceded sloppy goals at crucial times, may well of got something from the game.
Feckenham lie third in the league following a good run and the confidence showed as they opened the brighter of the two teams. Their early pressure nearly paid of in the first five minutes when a goal bound shot was deflected for a corner by Chris Gee. Coleshill hit back when Gareth Langford fed Pete Hall who shot straight at the keeper from 22 yards. Feckenham definitely had the upper hand at this stage but Coleshill battled for every ball on a heavy, sticky pitch. On 22 mins a deep cross seemed to be causing no danger but Gary Falconbridge took the safety first policy and headed out for a corner. The ball was slung in low at the near post and Brian Powell reacted first to deftly flick the ball home. Town were awarded a free kick on the edge of the box when Pete Hall was fouled and Steve Lees was only inches wide of the far post with the resulting kick. Powell nearly increased the visitors lead on the half hour but his rasping shot was superbly parried onto the post and away to safety by Craig Jones. Coleshill started to enjoy more possession and pin Feckenham back in their own half. Chris Davies made room for a shot which went just over the bar then a Wagstaff throw in was looped into the box by Pete Hall and Gary Falconbridge reacted the quickest to shoot just over. This was easily Coleshill best spell as they competed for every ball and closed down their opponents when not in possession but Feckenham increased their lead in a break away against the run of play. Derek Wilkes failed to connect with a low cross which fell invitingly for Steve Ferguson who took his time before picking his spot leaving Jones with no chance. Clever work by Mitchell Thompson on the bye line gained a corner. Wagstaff hung the kick high which created a goalmouth scramble and with three Town players desperately trying to get a touch Chris Gee forced the ball home. Coleshill finished the half strongly and started the second period the same way but within five minutes Powell put the game beyond the home team with his second, again, against the run of play. The striker cleverly made his own time and space and powerfully hit the roof of the net from only eight yards out. Ferguson should have scored his second of the afternoon as the ball looped over Jones to leave the forward with a clear shot at goal but Chris Gee managed to block the effort on the line, then a far post header from the No9 just skimmed the post. The remainder of the action was mainly centred in the midfield as Feckenham failed to kill off the home team but Town were unable to force their way back into the game. Danny Nixon hit a shot with the outside of his foot straight at the keeper and Powell was denied his hat trick with a Wilkes block, but generally the game fizzled out to a disappointing end for Coleshill.

Team:- Craig Jones, Chris Gee, Steve Lees, Derek Wilkes, Gary Falconbridge (Danny Nixon), Carl Smith, Chris Davies, Gareth Langford, Mitchell Thompson (Lee Dempster), Pete Hall, Kevin Wagstaff. Sub not used Jamie Cartwright.

Return to “First Team Match Reports 2003-2004”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest