Dudley Sports 3 v 0 Coleshill Town

First Team Match Reports 2003-2004

Moderator: Alan Beckett

Alan Beckett
Site Admin
Posts: 2210
Joined: Sat Oct 12, 2002 11:25 am

Dudley Sports 3 v 0 Coleshill Town

Postby Alan Beckett » Mon Jan 05, 2004 11:23 pm


Steve Lees and Simon Wczasek were still suffering from flu but managed to take the field for the long trip through or around Birmingham to Dudley Sports, but the latter could only last 55 minutes before calling it a day. James McKenzie (formerly with Cambridge City) made his debut after a recent move into the area, and looked sharp if not match fit. Dudley have had a good season so far following their promotion from Division One, lying comfortably in the top ten. They are another big side but of their three goals only one came from the aerial route. They do however miss out the mid field, get the ball forward quickly, hitting the channels and turning defences.
Coleshill started brightly and had the ball in the net from a corner in less than two minutes but the effort was disallowed for pushing. On a heavy, sticky pitch, Town played some neat football in the opening 15 minutes but Sports directness started to give them the advantage. Forward Gavin Mole looked well offside as he broke free and it took a fingertip save from Craig Jones to deny the home team the lead. James McKenzie did well to twice work some space for shots at goal but neither effort tested the keeper. The game stagnated as half time approached with Coleshill enjoying possession, Sports hitting on the break but neither side carving out clear chances.
McKenzie fired at goal again early in the second half but his effort was blocked, then Dudley stepped up the pace to pin Coleshill back. Jones made two good saves in quick succession but was grateful for the upright as another effort shook the woodwork. Gareth Langford's run and shot was fumbled by the keeper, McKenzie nipped in to turn and shoot but his effort was cleared off the line. Then in Town's best move of the game Carl Smith and Chris Davies combined to release McKenzie who tried to pick his spot but the ball went agonisingly wide. Hall had a shot blocked and Chris Davies had a header saved as Coleshill matched the home side for chances. A Lees miss hit let in Moles who brought out a fine save from Jones but the Town keeper did even better as he arched his back to tip away another shot. In a sustained attack Dudley forced a serious of corners and from the last centre back Nathan Bennett rose unchallenged to send a looping header over Jones into the net for the lead. Coleshill hit back with efforts from Smith and McKenzie but both strikes went straight to the keeper then Bennett strode forward twenty yards into Town?s box before being upended by Davies. The referee waved play on but the assistant flagged for a penalty and Moles made no mistake from the spot kick to increase the lead. Davies and McKenzie went close with efforts from 25 yards out but this was not to be Coleshill?s day as Sports finished the scoring with a break away from Moles who slotted home under the body of the advancing Jones. There was still time for a Lees free kick to yet again go past the post then McKenzie saw his best effort brilliantly saved by the Sports keeper.

Team:- Craig Jones, Chris Gee, Steve Lees, Simon Wczasek (Lee Dempster), Derek Wilkes, Carl Smith, Chris Davies, Gareth Langford (Jamie Cartwright), James McKenzie, Pete Hall, Kevin Wagstaff. Sub not used Danny Nixon.

Return to “First Team Match Reports 2003-2004”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest