Coleshill Town 1 v 1 AFC Wulfrunians - FA Cup

First Team Match Reports 2012-2013

Moderator: Alan Beckett

Alan Beckett
Site Admin
Posts: 2446
Joined: Sat Oct 12, 2002 11:25 am

Coleshill Town 1 v 1 AFC Wulfrunians - FA Cup

Postby Alan Beckett » Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:45 am

Saturday 11th August 2012
FA Cup Extra Preliminary Round
Coleshill Town 1 v 1 AFC Wulfrunians
Town: Richard Gregory 30.
Wulfs: Tom Piggott 77.
Attendance: 53.

Team: Simon Hands, David Tonks, Barry Fitzharris, Liam Mansell, James Mutton, Cameron Lee, Phillip Gayle, Richard Gregory, Jason Ramsey, Craig Gasieski. Subs Steve Hakner, Danny Carter, Nathen McBean, Luke Fuller, Chris Charles.

A Replay on Tuesday 14th August at 19.45 will be needed to see who will recieve the £1000 prize money.

AFC Wulfrunians will be looking to upset the formbook on Tuesday after they held Alliance club Coleshill Town to a 1-1 draw at Crown Meadow. (Think the writer has got our ground mixed up with Bridgnorth)

COLESHILL had been forced to settle for a replay after a very even game on Saturday.

Coleshill dominated the first half but AFC Wulfs had the better of the second.

The home side took the lead midway through the first half when Richard Gregory's free kick gave the Wulfs keeper no chance.

Coleshill had chances to go 2-0 up early in the second half but were unable to convert their chances.

Wulfs grew more confident and stronger and, inevitably, equalised with a long range volley.

Report From AFC Wulfrunians ... runians-1/
A superb volley from Tom Piggott 12 minutes from time earned AFC Wulfrunians a replay in the Extra Preliminary Round of the FA Cup against Midland Alliance side Coleshill Town.

A tight opening to the game saw Wulfs midfielder Richard Palmer presented with the first real opportunity when he dispossessed defender James Mutton before driving to the edge of the area and firing a weak shot that keeper Simon Hands collected comfortably.
The home side then went close when Barry Fitzharris sent in a high, hanging cross that had keeper Danny Tipton scrambling backwards to scrape away from under his crossbar before Jordan Perks cleared.
A hard, uneven pitch was making free flowing football almost impossible and chances were very limited. Danny Crudgington’s curling shot that the keeper collected at the second attempt was about as good as it got for Wulfs.
The deadlock was broken in the 28th minute when Coleshill were awarded a free kick 25 yards out following a handball and Richard Gregory fired home a superb free kick.
James Skedgel headed a Jake Sedgemore free kick over the bar just before the interval but Wulfs came out much more determined in the second half with Rose-Laing testing the keeper with a curling shot.
Rose-Laing then went closer still with a dipping volley just over the bar after good work from Dave Howells.
Wulfs made three attacking substitutions with Tom Piggott, Mike Robertson and Jake Webb all coming on but it was the home side who went close to extending their lead when Jason Ramsey burst through a challenge on the keeper but shot wide after Skedgel made sure he couldn’t get a clear sight of goal.
Wulfs almost forced an equaliser when Piggott broke down the right and played a good ball across the face of goal but Robertson just failed to get a vital touch at the far post.
It didn’t matter as the equaliser did arrive in the 78th minute. Jake Webb attacked a ball in to the area and his header struck Rose-Laing and fell to Piggott 22 yards out and he sent a fierce first time volley into the bottom corner of the net.
Wulfs pushed for a winner but never looked like getting one although Webb did fire a shot straight at the keeper.
Coleshill went close in injury time when Luke Fuller fired wide but in the end a draw was probably the right result and the two teams will meet again in the replay at Castlecroft Stadium on Tuesday night, 7:45pm kick off.

Return to “First Team Match Reports 2012-2013”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest