Stratford Town 2 v 1 Coleshill Town

First Team Match Reports 2012-2013

Moderator: Alan Beckett

Alan Beckett
Site Admin
Posts: 2446
Joined: Sat Oct 12, 2002 11:25 am

Stratford Town 2 v 1 Coleshill Town

Postby Alan Beckett » Sun Aug 19, 2012 7:55 pm

Saturday 18th August 2012
Midland Alliance
Stratford Town 2 v 1 Coleshill Town
Stratford: Jamie Bailey Aaron Forde.
Colemen: Joe Lyng.
Attendance: 177.

Team: Sheridan Martinez, Chris Charles, Sam Wison, Barry Fitzharris, Liam Mansell, Joe Lyng, Martin Crawford, Cameron Lee (Luke Fuller), Jason Ramsey, Danny Carter (Tobias Salmon), Chris Lloyd (Phil Gale). Subs not used Craig Gaseiweski, Jack Moss.

Goals from Jamie Bailey and Aaron Forde were enough to give Stratford Town a 2-1 win over visitors Coleshill Town, who hit back through a Joe Lyng strike.

COLESHILL continued to be the cause of their own demise last weekend.

Taking on former boss Carl Adams and his new Stratford team the result would have been doubly disappointing for new manager Jason Lanns.

A loose pass, poor marking and a failure to react in the first minute put Coleshill one nil behind through Stratfords Jamie Bailey.

After that early goal the home side continued to dominate and did so throughout the opening half hour.

During that time they managed to extend their lead through Jason Forde on 24 minutes following a controversial corner.

It was only after this second goal went in that Coleshill started to work themselves back into the game.

They had a couple of half chances in the first half but only really looked like scoring after the interval.

First Cameron Lee hit a shot against the Stratford post before Joe Lyng managed to net in the 80th minute.

How Jason Lanns would have loved to put one over on his old boss Carl Adams but it wasn't to be. Coleshill were 2-0 down before they decided to play. A much improved second half saw them score through Joe Lyng and push for an equaliser but it just wouldn't come.
Coleshill gave a debut to giant on loan keeper, (Solihull Moors) Sheridan Martinez but he picked the ball out of the net before he had even had his first touch in Coleshill's colours. A long hopefull ball inside two minutes completely fooled the Town defence and Jamie Bailey just got to the ball before the outrushing debutant to poke into an empty net. I thought the referee made some poor decisions throughout and Stratford extended their lead with a howler. The ball ran out of play and a Stratford play picked the ball up and through it to the keeper for a goal kick but to everyone's amazement the referee awarded a corner. Coleshill half cleared the danger but the ball fell nicely to Aaron Forde who hit a sweet low effort through a sea of bodies and into the corner of the net. Coleshill were being outplayed at this point but slowly started to get into the game. Joe Lyng and Liam Mansell had good headers go wide and the Coalmen enjoyed some good possession.
The game was much more even in the second half with both sides hitting the post and both keepers having to make saves but on 79 minutes Coleshill reduced the arrears, Joe Lyng finishing well in off the post. It was all Coleshill now as Lyng pushed up into the centre forward spot and caused the home defence all sorts of problems. Town sub Tobias Salmon also had chances to level the match especially in the dying minutes as his looping shot had Chris Jay scrambling backwards but the effort landed on the roof of the net.
Coleshill are lacking in confidence without a win this season but they can take heart from their second half performance on saturday and if they can take that into the game on tuesday against Dunkirk the win that they desperately need may just come.

And Stratford's View Of The Game From Their Web Site

Stratford Town - 2 - Bailey 2 Forde 24

Coleshill Town - 1 - Lyng 80

Even though it was only the third Saturday of the season Town already had questions to answer after the previous weekend's debacle at Tividale, but with a much changed team on show they surged to a two goal lead over visiting Coleshill Town in the first 24 minutes before being forced to hang on nervously towards the end as the Pack Meadow side pulled a goal back and threatened to nick a share of the points.

Apart from the on-pitch action the afternoon also had plenty of intriguing sub plots with so much recent player movement between the two clubs. And not only players as Town's Joint Manager Carl Adams was the Coleshill boss last term until his summer switch to the DCS with physio Joe Perkins also making the same move.

Those supporters who had suffered at Tividale expected changes to the starting line-up, and there were five in all beginning in goal where Chris Jay replaced Tom Cross. Midfielder Ben Porter came in for right back Jon Powis as Town adopted a 3-4-3 formation, while new signings Aaron Forde, who was with Redditch United last season, and Jordan Fincher from Solihull Moors took over from the injured Liam Reynolds and Andy Gregory respectively.

But the change which most excited the home fans was the return of their talismanic former striker Tony Robinson who became very much a cult figure in the 2006/7 campaign when he averaged better than a goal a game under the inimitable managership of Denis Mulholland.

And in keeping with the Coleshill connection this man of many clubs had made his one and only appearance for them in their midweek F A Cup defeat at AFC Wulfrunians prior to his move back to the DCS.

A critical moment at Tividale had been Jamie Bailey's miss in the opening minute, but he put that right here as he fired Town into the lead after just 90 seconds. Dan Kerrigan set up the chance with a pinpoint crossfield pass from the right which picked out Bailey who jinked past Chris Charles and slid the ball under the advancing Coleshill keeper Sheridan Martinez.

That was just the start Town needed, and for a time Coleshill struggled to get over the halfway line. Joe Lyng was forced to head a Kerrigan free kick over his own bar and soon after the lively Bailey shot narrowly over after turning inside Sam Wilson on the right and exchanging passes with Robinson.

A Porter through ball then gave Bailey another one-on-one opportunity with Martinez but this time the keeper spread himself well and took the ball off the Town striker's toe.

New boy Forde - who was catching the eye with some intelligent distribution in the middle of the park - was next to test Martinez with a rasping effort which the keeper could only parry with Bailey putting the loose ball wide under pressure from a couple of covering defenders.

A second goal looked inevitable and it duly arrived in the 24th minute when Robinson's persistence won a corner on the right. It was only cleared as far as Bailey and he swept it across to Forde 25 yards out who drilled it low through the crowded penalty area and past the probably unsighted Martinez into the bottom corner of the net.

Town looked all set for a comfortable win but Coleshill had other ideas and gradually fought their way back into the game. The towering Lyng brought a fine save out of Jay with a firm header from Coleshill's first corner of the game on the half hour mark, and soon after saw another header flash wide from a Chris Lloyd free kick.

In between Robinson - who understandably was being particularly tightly marked by the Coleshill defence - fired over after Forde had threaded the ball through to him, but it was much more of an even game now, and shortly before the break Coleshill came close to reducing Town's lead when Lloyd had a goal bound effort blocked at point blank range by Harry Donaghy with Danny Carter blazing the rebound narrowly wide.

Half Time - Stratford Town 2 Coleshill Town 0

Town were quickly into their stride after the restart, and Bailey should have put the game beyond Coleshill's reach just three minutes in after Robinson had dispossessed Liam Mansell and sent him clear with only Martinez to beat. But the ex-Studley man could not repeat his first half accuracy and squirted his shot disappointingly wide.

Soon after the roles were reversed when Robinson latched onto a Bailey pass to twist and turn in the penalty area before sliding the ball inches past the post.

Kerrigan was also off target from a Ricky Baker centre, and Town's inability to kill the game off encouraged Coleshill to push forward. The introduction of substitutes Phil Gayle and Tobias Salmon seemed to give them added impetus and they were desperately unlucky in the 65th minute when Cameron Lee seized on a weak Town clearance and thumped the ball against the upright with Jay well beaten.

Town responded by sending on Mark Faulds for Porter and switching to 4-4-2, but with the towering Lyng now operating up front for Coleshill and inevitably being a danger at any set piece the last twenty minutes developed into an increasingly nailbiting time for the fidgety DCS crowd.

Baker almost calmed their nerves with a bullet header from a corner which cannoned against the inside of Martinez's left hand post with the relieved keeper able to grab the rebound, but most of the meaningful action was now at the other end.

Jay did well to get down and hold a close range effort from Gayle and Jason Ramsey planted a header onto the roof of the net from a corner before Town had a final opportunity to make the points safe.

Faulds' anticipation set up the chance as he intercepted a Coleshill pass on the halfway line and promptly released Robinson down the inside right channel but again Martinez stood his ground and was able to push the ball away as Robinson went for placement rather than power in his finish.

Barely a minute later the imposing Lyng took advantage of some defensive uncertainty to fire home via the inside of Jay's left hand post and it was now very much a case of Town hanging on.

Lyng was not far away with a header, Jay had to sprint off his line to kick clear as Salmon chased down a poor backpass from Powis and Ramsey's well struck try from distance didn't clear the bar by much as Jay anxiously backpedalled, but in the end Coleshill ran out of time and Town had survived to bag a valuable and ultimately hard earned points.

They now face three consecutive away games at Kirby Muxloe, Studley and Heather St Johns, and if they can emerge from those encounters with some positive results then their League prospects will undoubtedly be boosted and what happened at Tividale quickly forgotten.

TOWN : Jay, Porter (Faulds 62), Baker, Forde (Powis 79), Fincher, Edwards, Donaghy, Halsall, Robinson, Bailey, Kerrigan (Gumery 54). Unused Subs - Travis & Brown.

COLESHILL : Martinez, Charles, Wilson, Fitzharris, Mansell, Lyng, Crawford, Lee (Fuller 73), Ramsey, Carter (Salmon 62), Lloyd (Gayle 54). Unused Subs - Moss & Gasiewski

Attendance - 177

Marston's Town Man of the Match - Ricky Baker

The View From The Dug-Out - Morton Titterton reflects on a game of two halves

"I thought that we were excellent in the first half. We had four new players in the side but we were sharp, moved the ball about well and had enough chances to have put the game to bed by half time.

After the break we missed a couple of good chances and then lost our tempo. They really bombarded us with their height causing us problems, but we showed plenty of character and although it may have been a bit ugly at times we held on well for a vital win."

Match Stats by Rod Abrahams

Town - GA 14 OT 5 HW 1 CW 5 FC 13 OS 4 YC 4 RC 0

Coleshill - GA 19 OT 5 HW 1 CW 8 FC 13 OS 2 YC 3 RC 0

Town Yellow Cards - Halsall, Porter, Forde & Edwards

Coleshill Yellow Cards - Charles, Fitzharris & Mansell

Match Report by Bryan Hale

Return to “First Team Match Reports 2012-2013”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest