Long Eaton United 0 v 2 Coleshill Town. AET. FA Vase.

First Team Match Reports 2013-2014

Moderator: Alan Beckett

Alan Beckett
Site Admin
Posts: 2212
Joined: Sat Oct 12, 2002 11:25 am

Long Eaton United 0 v 2 Coleshill Town. AET. FA Vase.

Postby Alan Beckett » Sun Nov 17, 2013 2:36 pm

Saturday 16th November 2013
FA Vase Round 2.
Long Eaton United 0 v 2 Coleshill Town. After Extra Time.
Scorers: Chris Gumery, Matt Brown.
Attendance: 162.

Team: Paul Hathaway, Leon Weller, Ashley Bradshaw, Danny Douglas, Jack Hullin, Danny Tymon, Matt Brown, Barry Fitzharris, Chris Gumery (Jake Murrall), Dean Rathbone, Chris Lloyd. Subs not used Luke Edwards, Oliver Casey, Nick Ellis, Declan Kirby.

MFA side Coleshill Town booked their place in the next round with a 2-0 extra time win at Long Eaton United. There had been little to choose between the sides until Chris Gumery handed the visitors a 96th minute lead and Matt Brown wrapped up the win ten minutes later.

Match Report
Coleshill Town made it through to the third round for only the second time in their history, 2007 the only other time, but it took a monumental effort against a very determined Long Eaton United. A replay seemed the more likely outcome but two goals in extra time saw Town progress.

The home side put Coleshill under real pressure from the off but Town's back five, including the keeper, were magnificent all afternoon. United's two wide men were causing all kinds of problems and the centre back pairing of Danny Douglas and Jack Hullin will have sore heads this morning as they cleared danger time and time again. Leon Weller usually roams up and down the right wing but he was marking Long Eaton's best player which restricted his runs but he did get in a cross that Matt Brown headed over. Danny Tymon nicked the ball in midfield and fed Brown but his shot went straight at the keeper. The home sides wingers combined with No9 crossing for No7 who cut inside but shot over. Coleshill were starting to get the upper hand and should have took the lead when Gumery sent Chris Lloyd free and his chip was goalbound until the home keeper got the finest touch to tip over the bar. Brown was next to be denied by the United stopper, this time with his feet. Long Eaton hit back as half time approached when another dangerous cross by 9 was parried away by Paul Hathaway but there was no-one from the home side in a position to take advantage of a clear opportunity.

In a repeat of the first half it was the Coleshill goal that was under pressure in the opening minutes of the second half but again the defence stood firm and Town broke quickly, Lloyd crossing for Tymon who headed straight at the keeper. In a six yard scramble the ball finally fell to Hullin who hit his shot over the bar. Brown was through on goal but with two defenders hot on his heels he shot early and brought out a good save from the home keeper. Coleshill were seeing more of the ball but two lively substitutions by United lifted their spirits and back they came again. Hullin then Tymon had to be alert as they stubbed out danger then Hathaway punched clear then safely gathered several dangerous crosses. With ten minutes remaining Coleshill were pushing for the winner and from a Lloyd corner Danny Douglas had a header saved and cleared from on the goal line, Lloyd had a shot blocked on the 6 yard line and Douglas headed over from another corner. In the dying seconds Long Eaton could have snatched it as No8 ran past players into the box but Ashley Bradshaw made a great saving tackle, one of several during the afternoon and then with virtually the last kick Chris Lloyd hit the bar with a left foot shot from the edge of the area.

As the first period of extra time started United hit the side netting from a good position but on 96 minutes Coleshill finally took the lead when Lloyd crossed for Gumery, who had lost his marker for the first time, to plant a header past the keeper and into the net. Relief and just about deserved! Long Eaton were far from out of the game but it was Coleshill who now had the upper hand, Brown shot just wide then Lloyd hit the post.

Into the second half of extra time and the home side were throwing everything at Coleshill but Mister calm, Paul Hathaway came and gathered everything that came his way. On 112 minutes a clearance by the home keeper went to the left fullback but he was under pressure from Matt Brown and when he dallied Brown was away and calmly rolled the ball under the diving keeper and into the net. Game over! Long Eaton still kept coming but Coleshill played out the time to secure a place in the third round, the draw is on Monday and the competition now goes National so a longer bus trip could be on the cards! Well done Coleshill!!!!

Return to “First Team Match Reports 2013-2014”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest