Coleshill Town 1 v 1 Coventry Sphinx

First Team Match Reports 2013-2014

Moderator: Alan Beckett

Alan Beckett
Site Admin
Posts: 2210
Joined: Sat Oct 12, 2002 11:25 am

Coleshill Town 1 v 1 Coventry Sphinx

Postby Alan Beckett » Fri Dec 27, 2013 12:14 pm

Thursday 26th December 2013
Midland Alliance
Coleshill Town 1 v 1 Coventry Sphinx
Town: Declan Kirby.
Sphinx: Rickie Cutting.
Attendance: 90.

Town: Paul Hathaway, Leon Weller, William Worthington, Luke Edwards, Jack Hullin, Declan Kirby (Danny Tymon), Ryan Nash, Barry Fitzharris, Dan Holgate (Dean Rathbone), Matt Brown, Jaz Luckie (Chris Gumery). Subs not used Oliver Casey, Nick Ellis.

Sphinx: James Ritson, Aden Moore, Ashley Jackson, Ricky Fletcher, Mathew Bannister, Luke Williams, Kyle Baxter, Ashley Wilkes, Rickie Cutting, Ashley Cain. Subs Thomas Dyke, Hayden Wright, Kiam Galdins, Jackson Downie.

The pitch was heavy but otherwise conditions were perfect for a game between two in form sides. For the first 20 minutes Coleshill were all over the visitors like a rash. A Ryan Nash cross found Dan Holgate and his goalbound shot was defected for a corner. Jack Hullin had two headers from William Worthington corners cleared off the line and Jaz Luckie had an effort blocked before Town deservedly took the lead on seven minutes. Worthington delivered a free kick into the box and when it was half cleared it fell nicely for Declan Kirby who hit an unstoppable left foot shot into the net. Coleshill continued to pile on the pressure. Brown and Nash came close but Holgate came the closest as his deflected shot only just went over the bar. Coleshill just couldn't get the second goal that their play deserved and so Sphinx slowly started to get a foothold in the game. Ashley Wilkes shot over and Hayden Moore shot wide. Paul Hathaway punched a corner away but it fell to Kyle Baxter who thundered a shot into the keepers midriff. Then on 32 minutes the visitors pulled level with a real soft goal. There looked to be no danger when a long ball came between Jack Hullin and Hathaway, hesitation and a bad bounce allowed Rickie Cutting to nip in between the two and head into an empty net. Holgate charged down a clearance by the Sphinx keeper James Ritson but then the big forward sent his effort wide of the post with the goal at his mercy, but it was a much more even game now.
Coleshill should have gone back in front early in the second half when Brown and Nash combined to leave Holgate free in front of goal but again he pulled his effort wide. Hathaway saved from Moore then Ashley Cain jinked in from the right wing to send a left foot shot over the bar. Jaz Luckie had the ball in the net after a pass by Barry Fitzharris but the effort was ruled off side then the same two combined but Luckie sent his effort well wide from a good position. Worthington took a corner and when the ball came back to him his shot was well saved by Ritson. Town were camped in the oppositions half but a quick break saw Leon Weller make a great saving tackle as Wilkes shot at goal. Coleshill also broke quickly from their own box, Ritson just beat Chris Gumery to the ball but his clearance fell to Brown who shot at the open goal but once again the effort went wide. Dean Rathbone combined with Brown in a sweeping move and Gumery's effort at the near post was only just cleared. Jackson Downie headed wide a free kick but Sphinx's attacks were getting less and less as they settled for a draw. Ritson was out quickly at the feet of Brown but Coleshill couldn't breach the very determined Sphinx back line.

Not one of Town's better performances! Three points looked a certainty in the first 20 minutes but Coleshill ran out of ideas as Sphinx defended well, sometimes very aggressively! But it is an indication of how far Coleshill have come that they will be disappointed with just a point against a top six side!

Taken From Coventry Sphinx Web Site
Ritto The Star.....
by Lynton Wilkinson

Sphinx will see this as a hard earned point rather than two points dropped.

Sphinx arrived at Pack Meadow with No 1 keeper Carl O'Neill still in Bournemouth so frantic pone calls were made and midfielder James Ritson who was not in the squad and actually doing some festive shopping took the keepers jersey worse was to follow when Hayden Wright pulled up in the warm up so centre forward Ash Wilkes went to centre half and Adam Sullivan to right back.
For the first 20 minutes this re shuffling took its toll on Sphinx and were lucky to only be one down after 20 minutes with Coleshill having two efforts headed off the line and also missing a open goal.
Sphinx settled into the game and on 35 minutes gained a well earned goal when Ricky Cutting chased a clearance down and headed in between the keeper and centre half.
Second half Sphinx defended well and used the counter attack well. Ritson pulled off a great save to keep the scores level though his next call to action he sliced his clearance to former Sphinx player Matt Brown who could only screw his effort wide with the goal gaping.
Kiam Galdins could of won it for Sphinx with a free header from a Ash Cain corner in the dying minutes.

Overall a great point for Sphinx considering the changes that had to be made 45 minutes before kick off.

Return to “First Team Match Reports 2013-2014”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest