Coleshill Town 1 v 5 AFC Wulfrunians

First Team Match Reports 2013-2014

Moderator: Alan Beckett

Alan Beckett
Site Admin
Posts: 2212
Joined: Sat Oct 12, 2002 11:25 am

Coleshill Town 1 v 5 AFC Wulfrunians

Postby Alan Beckett » Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:29 am

Saturday 19th April 2014
Midland Alliance
Coleshill Town 1 v 5 AFC Wulfrunians
Town: Connor Leek.
Wulfs: Sedgemore, Crainer, Robertson, Gregg 2.
Attendance: 72.

Colemen: Paul Hathaway, James Williams, Ashley Bradshaw (Chris Lloyd), Danny Douglas, Jack Hullin (Dean Rathbone), Ryan Nash, Barry Fitzharris, Danny Tymon, Matt Brown, Oliver Casey, Connor Leek (Leon Weller). Sub's not used Ellison Porter, Willis.

Wulfs: Tipton, Sedgemore, Perks, Palmer, Hurrel, Skedgel, Crainer, Rose-Laing, Gregg, Stevenson, Robertson. Sub's Davies, Bright, Lawley,
Attendance: 72

By Matty Adams
Coleshill Town were given an old school lesson in how to play football this past weekend as they were given a real hiding by mid-table side AFC Wulfrunians. Having suffered defeat in the week that saw Tividale win the Midland Football Alliance, Casey's men tasted their second loss within five days at a more devastating score line of 5-1. After going behind from an early penalty by skipper Sedgemore, The Colemen simply couldn't get back into the game and further goals from Crainey and Robinson ensured there was a difficult mountain for Coleshill to climb. The Colemen did pull one back through Leek but a brace from Gregg wrapped up the proceedings. This was Coleshill's first home defeat since September some 14 games ago.

Heading into this fixture, Coleshill had just come off of a 3-0 loss to now champions Tividale. Therefore, Casey decided to change up operations a touch and introduced a mixed line-up with various regulars either absent or on the bench. With notable absentees in the forms of Kirby, Worthington and Gumery, Casey decided to rotate the system.

Within the first ten minutes, the visitors were already piling the pressure on Coleshill who were particularly slow out of the starting blocks. Crainer saw a shot saved brilliantly by Hathaway and Stevenson shot from a far only to see the ball go into the side netting. Their continued perseverance paid dividends in the end though when they were awarded a penalty on 11 minutes. Their skipper Jake Sedgemore did the expected and calmly converted the ball into the net to open the scoring.

Just minutes later, Coleshill attempted to provide their home fans with an instant reply and something to celebrate about however following wonderful play down the right wing between Williams and Nash, a header from Danny Douglas went just centimetres wide of the post. This was the hosts first chance of the game. Ryan Nash then executed an excellent free kick on 19 minutes however he was denied by a spectacular save from Tipton.

Wulfrunians then doubled their advantage just after the half hour mark as Jacob Crainey ran from the half way line playing a splendid one-two receiving the ball and slotting home past Paul Hathaway making it 2-0.

Once again, Coleshill attempted a quick reply but to no success. On 34 minutes, Ryan Nash was given another view of goal and flashed a shot over the bar.

Wulfrunians then made it mission impossible for a Coleshill comeback as they added a third through Robinson on 43 minutes as he finished strongly as the ball fell to him from a cross from the right.

Coleshill replied straight away after the interval. The inspirational half time team talk from Paul Casey clearly paid off and following Matt Brown's missed opportunity after he was through one on one with Tipton, Connor Leek followed up with the rebound to pull a goal back making it 3-1.

Controversy then struck just over a quarter of an hour later as Wulfrunians were through on goal. However, Hathaway came out of his area at pace with a debatable lunge which led to penalty appeals from the visitors. Much to the relief of Paul Casey, these penalty appeals were waved away and no cards were given out.

Two minutes later, Coleshill were punished at the back for a lack of communication as Craig at egg ran beyond them and placed the ball home. The score increased to 4-1 and so did the cheers from the away end.

Coleshill then had rare efforts late on through substitute Rathbone and right back Williams however they hardly threatened the Wulfrunians goal. On 86 minutes, The Wulfs made it 5-1 as Gregg grabbed his second goal of the game.

The Wolverhampton based side could've extended their lead further however Bright's late effort cannoned off the Coleshill cross bar.

When the full time whistle blew, the points were Wulfrunians as Coleshill suffered their second defeat in a row. The Colemen do remain 4th on 72 points however but with 2 games left to play, the highest they can finish now is 3rd. This is still a possibility and would be an incredible achievement for Coleshill Town.

They next play on Bank Holiday Monday against Coventry Sphinx with a kick off time of 15:00PM. This game will be held at Sphinx Drive.

Match report courtesy of Sports Journalist Matty Adams. Follow Matty on Twitter at @mattyadams19. You can also check out his blog called The Adams Experience at where he covers all things related to football, motorsport and professional wrestling. Check out his absolute must see interviews and match highlights plus much more on his YouTube channel at

Return to “First Team Match Reports 2013-2014”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest