Coleshill Town 0 v 2 Stourport Swifts

First Team Match Reports 2014-2015

Moderator: Alan Beckett

Alan Beckett
Site Admin
Posts: 2212
Joined: Sat Oct 12, 2002 11:25 am

Coleshill Town 0 v 2 Stourport Swifts

Postby Alan Beckett » Wed Nov 05, 2014 4:36 pm

Tuesday 4th November 2014
Midland Football League Premier
Coleshill Town 0 v 2 Stourport Swifts
Scorers: Jamie Willetts, Ashley Parsons Smith.
Attendance: 55.

Opposition Player of the Match: Matty Brown (Coleshill) Karl Fellows (Stourport)

Town: Chris Jay, Leon Weller, Craig Milligan, James Williams (Simeon Cobourne), Luke Edwards, Danny Tymon, Matt Brown, Tom Weale, Shane Benjamin, Jonathan Jones (Ryan Nash), Mitch Piggon (Dean Rathbone). Subs not used Oliver Casey, Daryl Jones.

Swifts: Brendon Bunn, Paul Hurrell, Jamie Hyde, Michael Briscoe, Jamie Willets, Karl Fellows, Calvin Dinsley, Ashley Parsons Smith, Lewis Poutney, John Griffin, James Lemon. Subs Luke Morris, Kevin Spencer.

Match Report
How many times have you heard the saying "Football's a funny Game"! Swifts had just come off the back of a thrashing, 5-0 to Basford, but they bounced back with a very impressive performance and deservedly took the points from Coleshill.

The first half was a great advert for the MFL Premier as both sides really went for it and played some very entertaining football. Swifts were the better team in possession but Coleshill carved out the first clear cut chance when Mitch Piggon and Shane Benjamin combined to send Matt Brown free but his shot was saved by visiting keeper Brendon Bunn's feet. Tom Weale sent a bending shot/cross only just over the angle of bar and post. In reply Karl Fellows had a free kick from 22 yards well saved by home keeper Chris Jay. Bunn saved from Piggon and Jonathan Jones before Brown shot just wide, then young James Williams almost put the ball in his own net with a header. But the half ended goalless!

Coleshill just couldn't find their rhythm in the second half and Swifts slowly started to take control. Piggon turned and shot into the side netting but minutes later, following a disputed corner, Stourport took the lead when a goal mouth scramble fell to centre half Jamie Willetts who smacked the ball into the roof of the net. Ashley Parsons Smith had caused problems all night and another of his crosses should have been buried but Lewis Poutney headed over the bar. Danny Tymon sent a left foot shot over the bar following good work from Dean Rathbone and Shane Benjamin, then Rathbone set up Ryan Nash but his effort went well wide. From a deep free kick Willetts nearly got his second of the night but his header skimmed the bar. On 76 minutes Bunn completely fluffed a goal kick but the ball amazingly skimmed past a crowded midfield and left Parsons Smith clear on goal and he confidently finished past Jay. Super sub Simeon Cobourne had a great run into the box but a fine tackle by Willetts stopped him in his tracks. A slip by Nash saw Parsons Smith away again but this time Jay made a great save and then the Coleshill stopper made an even better one from Swifts substitute Luke Morris.

Swifts have now done the double over Coleshill, with Town failing to score over the two games. Swifts are a very good side and would be one of my favourites to be up there contending for the title come the end of the season if not for their inconsistency. Basford must have found a weakness to hammer them 5-0 just three days before this game, it's just a pity that Coleshill are still looking for one!

A View From The Other Side
A Match Report from Stourport local paper The Shuttle ... Coleshill/
Swifts stun high flying Coleshill

Swifts bounced back from their five-goal thumping at high-flying Basford by beating another of the league’s front-runners – wrapping up an early season double in the process.

Defender Jamie Willets capped a Man of the Match display with the opener before the impressive Ashley Parsons-Smith secured the points 14 minutes from time.

The opening period was even with both sides having chances to break the deadlock.

Coleshill were first to threaten when Matty Brown let fly after just three minutes but visiting keeper Brendan Bunn denied him.

Opposite number Chris Jay was then forced into action to keep out a well-struck free-kick from Swifts midfielder Karl Fellows.

With ten minutes of the half remaining, there was a flurry of goalmouth action. Willets went close with a header for Stourport before Coleshill’s Matt Beard and Jon Jones went close at the other end.

The opening goal finally came nine minutes into the second half when the home defence failed to clear a corner and, following a scramble, Willets stabbed the ball over the line.

Swifts should have doubled their lead three minutes later when a delightful cross from Parsons-Smith picked out the unmarked Lewis Pountney but his header cleared the target.

Coleshill struggled to create anything of note after the break and they fell further behind on 76 minutes when Bunn’s long clearance found its way to Parsons-Smith who steered his shot beyond keeper Jay.

Substitute Luke Morris tried his luck with a curling effort late on which the Town keeper gathered but by then the points were in the bag.

Swifts: Bunn 7, Hurrell 7, Hyde 7, Briscoe 8, WILLETS 9, Fellows 7, Dinsley 8, Parsons-Smith 8, Pountney 7, Griffin 7, Lemon 7 (Morris 78). Sub (not used): Spencer

Return to “First Team Match Reports 2014-2015”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest