Coleshill 3 v 1 Alvechurch - League Cup

First Team Match Reports 2014-2015

Moderator: Alan Beckett

Alan Beckett
Site Admin
Posts: 2210
Joined: Sat Oct 12, 2002 11:25 am

Coleshill 3 v 1 Alvechurch - League Cup

Postby Alan Beckett » Wed Jan 07, 2015 5:45 pm

Tuesday 6th January 2015
Midland Football league Premier - League Cup Round 2
Coleshill Town 3 v 1 Alvechurch
Town: Shane Benjamin pen, Craig Milligan, Conal Powell.
Church: Joe Adams pen.
Attendance: 86.

Opposition Player Of The Match: Shane Benjamin (Coleshill), Michael McGrath (Alvechurch).

Town: Chris Jay, Oliver Casey, Will Worthington, James Williams (Danny Douglas), Luke Edwards, Danny Tymon, Craig Milligan, Simeon Cobourne (Conal Powell), Shane Benjamin, Ryan Nash, Dean Rathbone (Leon Weller).
Subs not used: Matt R. Brown, Oliver Sheppard.

Church: Platt, Roberts, Davies, Morrison, Race, Cosgrove, McGrath, Williams, Evans, Adams, Edwards(Dale)
Subs: Dunkley, Mangolo, Edwards(Dave), Gibson, Nicol.

By Craig Hamilton

After beating Boldmere in their last game big things were expected in this League cup match.

It didn't take long for Coleshill to get into the game and after only 2 mins a great crossfield pass from Dean Rathbone found Ryan Nash on the right, Nash played the ball down the right wing for Simeon Cobourne to run onto but he was fouled and this set the tone for the rest of the game with Simeon fouled almost all the time he got the ball as Alvechurch couldn't cope with his pace.

Unfortunately the free kick came to nothing but Coleshill gained a corner that was quickly played back to Will Wothington but the header from his cross was easily saved.

Coleshill started to get on top and again Cobourne was causing all the problems as Alvechurch No 5 Race was booked for yet another foul on the little man but again the free kick was wasted.

Alvechurch started to get more into the game with some good passing and their first chance came on 18 mins when the right back was sent clear but he shot well over from 25 yards.

However on 28 mins Alvechurch had the ball in the net from a great right wing cross but the referee did well to spot the centre forward Evans had in fact punched the ball into the net and he was booked for handball.

Neither side could gain any advantage with both sides giving the ball away to easily but it was the two No 7s that were causing all the problems.

This showed in the next phase of play when a long ball was played up to Benjamin who held the ball up well and then played in Cobourne to run into the area on goal but yet again he was fouled and eventually after consulting his assistant the referee pointed to the spot.

Up stepped Benjamin to send the keeper the wrong way with a coolly taken penalty on 39 mins.

Within a couple of minutes Alvechurch had a chance to equalise when the tricky No 7 McGrath had a goal bound shot tipped over the bar by Jay in the Coleshill goal. From the resulting corner McGrath nearly scored when his hooked volley from the edge of the box went narrowly wide.

HT 1-0

It only took 8 mins of the 2nd half for Coleshill to create the next chance when Benjamin miss controlled the ball and it rolled free in the penalty area to Dean Rathbone but he blazed his shot well over the bar.

Alvechurch did have a chance to score after a late challenge had Tymon booked but Coleshill defended the free kick well and cleared the danger.

The breakthrough for Coleshill came after 59 mins when Craig Milligan blocked an attempted clearance and chased the loose ball into the area to slot past the oncoming keeper from 12 yards for 2-0.

A raft of substitutions disrupted the flow of play on 65 mins as Alvechurch replaced their best player McGrath with Gibson. Coleshill also replaced Rathbone with Leon Weller and moved Casey into midfield.

A few minutes later Coleshill sent on Conal Powel to replace the battered and bruised Cobourne and Alvechurch sent on Dunkley for Dale Edwards.

This soon paid dividends for Alvechurch as Dunkley went on a run past 2 defenders and was the bought down in the box for a penalty which was scored by Williams sending the keeper the wrong way. 2-1.

This gave Alvechurch a lift and they had good possession but couldn't take the chances.

On 78 mins Coleshill replaced James Williams with the more experienced Danny Douglas at centre half.

The next chance fell to Coleshill when a free kick was smashed into the Alvechurch wall from the edge of the box by Worthington. then Alvechurch wasted a chance when a shot was put wide from 20 yards.

The game was sealed for Coleshill in the 91st minute when Benjamin was sent clear and he unselfishly squared the ball across the 18 yard line for Conal Powel his first shot was well saved but he reacted quickly to pounce on the rebound and rifle a shot into an empty net. 3-1.

Coleshill now go into the quarter final with a great chance of going all the way to the final.

Taken from Alvechurch web site ... 0-2787983/
Coleshill Allow No Quarter and Dump Church Out of League Cup
by Alan Deakin

Two goals down, Church forced their way back into this tie before Coleshill secured a stoppage time third goal to kill the game.
Coleshill Allow No Quarter and Dump Church Out of League Cup

Alvechurch: Platt, Roberts, Xavier, Race, Morrison, Cosgrave, Williams (Nicol 65), Adams, Evans, McGrath, Edwards. Dale (Dunkley 68)
unused subs: Gibson, Mangolo, Edwards. David

Coleshill Town: Jay, Casey, Worthington, Williams, Edwards, Tymon, Cobourne, Milligan, Benjamin, Nash, Rathbone
subs: Brown, Douglas, Weller, Powell, Sheppard

Attendance: 86

Man of the Match Michael McGrath saw red in second half stoppage time to cap a frustrating and disappointing League Cup game that sees Church exit at the first competitive hurdle.

A couple of defensive lapses gave the home side a two-goal lead, albeit helped by a baffling refereeing decision that took ages to be made, after consultation with an assistant who had signalled for a corner.

Early pressure from the home side was manifest in the style of play that saw the highly flying Pack Meadow side moving the ball forward quickly, with Shane Benjamin holding play up to play in quick wide players that the Church defence did well to shackle throughout the first period. Simon Cobourne was proving to be a particular handful, and Race was an early caution in the referee’s book as a result.

Coleshill should have taken the lead on 24 when Cobourne beat his marker to gain a clear sight of goal, but he stabbed his shot wide from just inside the box.

Church responded, and a great flowing move from Roberts saw him put a cross into the heart of the Coleshill box, and Evans turned the ball into the net with the help of his hand – the “goal” was ruled out and the Church front man received the second yellow of the game.

And a golden chance for Church followed on 33 when a deflected shot from McGrath ballooned into the path of Williams at the far post, but the Church wideman made a poor connection that failed to divert the ball on target and trouble Jay in the Coleshill goal.

As the first half was winding down the home side profited from a baffling thirty seconds when referee Boyle seemed prepared to follow his assistant’s lead in awarding a corner, but then for some reason went across to said assistant to “discuss” the situation before pointing to the spot for a penalty for Coleshill. Benjamin converted comfortably to send Coleshill into a decisive lead.

There was still time for Church to fight back as a Williams shot from distance was palmed over by Jay.

Half Time : Coleshill Town 1 Alvechurch 0

Coleshill extended their lead on the hour mark, somewhat against the run of play, and as in the previous game against Coventry Sphinx, it was the Church defence once again being more charitable than they should. In this instance, Race’s failure to clear his lines on the edge of the area allowed Milligan to capitalise and latch onto the blocked clearance before making no mistake from 12 yards.

Andy Nicol’s introduction soon after gave Church a renewed vigour, and Dimitri Dunkley’s replacement of the lively Dale Edwards on 68 injected life again into a Church side still in the game. This was more evident on 71 when Dunkley drew a foul as he tracked into and across the box, and the referee blew for the second penalty of the game. Adams stepped up and confidently converted to bring the deficit back to one.

As Church pressed for an equaliser the game swing from end to end, but the impressive Benjamin topped his night’s performance by killing the tie in the second minute of stoppage time when he was able to play in Powell for a strike on goal, which Platt did well to beat away, but the Coleshill substitute was first to the loose ball to lash it into the unguarded net from 18 yards.

Worse was to follow when Michael McGrath over-stepped the bounds of reasonable argument in the fifth minute of added time, and his vehement disputing of a corner award was the camel back breaking straw for referee Boyle who responded to the tirade with the flash of his red card.

Return to “First Team Match Reports 2014-2015”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest