Coleshill Town 3 v 1 Causeway United

First Team Match Reports 2014-2015

Moderator: Alan Beckett

Alan Beckett
Site Admin
Posts: 2212
Joined: Sat Oct 12, 2002 11:25 am

Coleshill Town 3 v 1 Causeway United

Postby Alan Beckett » Sun Jan 25, 2015 6:18 pm

Saturday 24th January 2015
Midland Football League Premier
Coleshill Town 3 v 1 Causeway United
Town: Ricky Cutting, Luke Edwards, Shane Benjamin.
United: Joel Ayettey.

Opposition Player Of The Match: Tom Weale (Coleshill) Aaron Lloyd (Causeway)

Attendance: 73.


Coleshill: Chris Jay, Leon Weller, Will Worthington, Danny Douglas, Luke Edwards, Tom Weale, Mykel Beckley (Chris Lloyd), Craig Milligan, Shane Benjamin, Ricky Cutting (Simeon Cobourne), Dean Rathbone (Ryan Nash). Subs not used Oliver Casey, Anthony Bevas.

Causeway: Tom Turner, Todd Evans, Alex Cowley, Darren Whitley, Ben Davis, Sam Beasley, Richard Thomas Robinson, Jack Pearlman, Aaron Lloyd, Josh Thomas Marsh, Roman Gayle. Subs Ryan Wollacott, Jordan McGovern, Joel Ayettey, Steve Cadwallender, Karl Gardner.

Coleshill Town were 3-1 winners at home to Causeway United to keep them in the top five. Ricki Cutting hit the opener inside a minute but this was cancelled out by Causeway's Joel Ayettey on 63 minutes. The home side regained the lead through Luke Edwards with Shane Benjamin wrapping up the win 15 minutes from time.

Coleshill got back to playing after several postponements and looked ring rusty despite taking the lead with less than two minutes on the clock! The visitors dominated possession and played the better football for long periods without seriously testing Chris Jay in the Town goal and Coleshill could easily have scored double the three goals that finally secured the points!

Two new signings were on the team sheet with Mykel Beckley making his debut on the right wing and Anthony Bevas was an unused sub. Shane Benjamin took the captain's arm band due Danny Tymon's absence due to illness!

Coleshill took the lead with just over a minute gone when a Tom Weale through ball was latched on to by the lively Ricky Cutting who rounded the keeper and stroked the ball into an empty net. Minutes later and it should have been two as Cutting challenged the visitors keeper to another long punt. The ball broke to Dean Rathbone who set up Shane Benjamin but Town's leading scorer disappointingly sent a left foot effort well over the bar. Causeway looked shell shocked but they slowly worked their way back into the game as the half wore on. A turn and shot by Richard Thomas Richardson was parried out for a corner by home keeper Chris Jay, one of very few efforts where he was called into action. Cutting set up Mykel Beckley just before half time but the debutant struck the ball well over the bar from a great position.

The second half saw United take control of the midfield but it was again Coleshill who carved out the chances. Benjamin shot straight at the keeper twice and then a great run and cross by Cutting looked beyond Benjamin but he cleverly retrieved the situation and set up Rathbone in front of goal but again the effort was lifted over the bar from a great position. Beckley was next to be given a clear sight of goal but he delayed too long and Darren Whitley made a great clearing challenge. With all these chances going begging it was inevitable that Causeway would make Coleshill pay! On 63 minutes United's keeper sent a long clearance down the centre of the pitch, Luke Edwards let the ball bounce and Danny Douglas tried to guide the ball back to his keeper but Joel Ayettey nipped in between the two and fired into an empty net. Coleshill were back in front in less than a minute when a Will Worthington free kick from near the corner flag was scrambled over the line by Luke Edwards. Man of the Match Sam Beasley thought he had restored parity but Tom Weale through himself in front of the goal bound thunderbolt shot. On 74 minutes Weale jinked himself into the box and with his shot looking to be heading wide, Benjamin came in at the far post and lashed a left foot shot into the net. Aaron Lloyd set up Ben Davis inside Town's penalty area but Jay was quickly off his line and saved at his feet. Beasley then had a one on one with Jay but dragged his shot wide. Substitute Simeon Cobourne went down in the box which could well have been a penalty, then Ayettey hit the home bar with a over head kick.

Another welcome three points and a good run out before a massive three games coming up from next Saturday. Coleshill travel to Basford then Long Eaton with a little matter of a Birmingham Senior Cup Quarter Final against Rushall Olympic sandwiched between!

Manager Paul Casey said: "We created a lot of chances and could have hit seven or eight on the day.

"Fitness-wise we were very good and our shape was excellent as well.

"We restricted them to two chances in the game, it was a very comfortable win."

Return to “First Team Match Reports 2014-2015”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest