Basford United 3 v 3 Coleshill Town

First Team Match Reports 2014-2015

Moderator: Alan Beckett

Alan Beckett
Site Admin
Posts: 2212
Joined: Sat Oct 12, 2002 11:25 am

Basford United 3 v 3 Coleshill Town

Postby Alan Beckett » Sun Feb 01, 2015 12:50 pm

Saturday 31st January 2015
Midland Football League Premier
Basford United 3 v 3 Coleshill Town
United: Lee Hendrie 2, Dion Meikle.
Town: Mykel Beckley, Tom Weale, Danny Douglas.

Attendance: 102.

Basford: Will Radford, Josh Thornton, Samual Craven, Robson Doolan, Dion Meikle, Aaron Webster, Courey Grantham, Lee Hendrie, Ruben Wiggins-Thomas, Ryan Whitehurst, Lavell White. Subs: Stuart Hendrie, Daniel Fletcher, Fabian Smith, Jahred Russell, Jake Wood.

Colemen: Chris Jay, Rob Evans (Leon Weller), Will Worthington, Danny Douglas, Luke Edwards, Danny Tymon (Simeon Cobourne), Tom Weale, Craig Milligan, Shane Benjamin, Mykel Beckley (Ryan Nash), Dean Rathbone. Subs not used Oliver Casey. Jacob Wright.

Opposition Player Of The Match: Lee Hendrie (Basford) Tom Weale (Coleshill).

Resilient Town So Close To Win In Six Goal Epic

Coleshill Town twice came from behind to earn a share of the spoils in a six-goal thriller at fellow high-fliers Basford United. But they almost snatched a last-gasp winner, Simeon Cobourne being denied deep in injury time by home keeper Will Radford. Former Villa favourite Lee Hendrie fired Basford into a sixth minute lead, pouncing on the loose ball after a mix-up in the Coleshill defence. But the Warwickshire side were back on level terms at the break, new signing Mykel Beckley heading in a Shane Benjamin cross. Another Hendrie strike early in the second half failed to knock the visitors off their stride and they hit back with a stunning 25 yard free kick from Tom Weale on 69 minutes before Danny Douglas handed Town the lead with seven minutes to go. But Coleshill had to settle for a solitary point as Hendrie turned provider on 86 minutes, crossing for Dion Meikle to turn home from close range. The point was enough for Basford to leap frog Lye Town into second place.

A 3-3 draw away from home to title favourites, a side with an ex-international in their ranks and the biggest budget in the league by a country mile, sounds like a thrilling game and a tremendous point for Coleshill, but the truth is this was a dour contest, Town didn't play that well, gave away two sloppy goals and still had a chance to win it at the death! If Basford are the bench mark, then the Colemen aren't too far away from genuine title contenders!

As in the game at Packmeadow back in November, Coleshill gifted Basford an early lead and again it was a Hendrie that took advantage. Stuart scored after just 4 minutes in the first contest and brother Lee took advantage of a mix-up between Danny Douglas and keeper Chris Jay to stroke the ball home on 6 minutes. Running from midfield, Craig Milligan latched on to a threw ball from Shane Benjamin and sent a right foot shot just inches past the post, Whitehurst set up Wiggins-Thomas but his shot was well saved by Chris Jay. A Hendrie free kick was headed just over the bar by Wiggins-Thomas. Benjamin rolled the ball into the path of the overlapping Rob Evans whose inch perfect cross was only just in front of Mykel Beckley, although had he thrown himself at the ball he may well have got a touch that would have taken the ball into the net. Whitehurst had a weak header from a great position easily saved, Dean Rathbone turned and shot but home keeper Will Radford saved at a stretch, then Jay made a crucial save at the feet of Wiggins-Thomas and then punted a long ball up field where Beckley and Benjamin combined with Beckley getting on the end of a peach of a cross from Benjamin to volley into the net at the far post, his first goal for Coleshill.
Half Time 1-1

Basford started the second half the sharper team and as Coleshill backed off Lee Hendrie easily passed the ball into the net from the edge of the box on 47 minutes. The home side had a series of corners as shots by Whitehouse, Hendrie, Doolan and Whitehouse again were all blocked by some desperate defending by Town. Coleshill were under the cosh but Benamin hit the post in a rare counter attack and then on 69 minutes the scores were level. Tom Weale took a free kick from 25 yards lifting the ball over the wall and into the net well away from the diving Radford in the home goal. Hendrie had another shot blocked and when the ball came back to him his second shot went just wide. Hendrie's corners at one end were causing all sorts of problems but Will Worthington's at the other were equally as dangerous. From one dead ball kick Benjamin had the ball cleared off the line. Hendrie's free kick from 25 yards hit the bar and Radford saved at the feet of the flying Simeon Cobourne as the game finally came to life! Another Worthington corner was headed on at the near post by Benjamin and Danny Douglas headed Coleshill into the lead for the first time on 83 minutes. With time running out another Hendrie corner was powered home by Dion Meikle, 86 minutes, 3-3! Either side could have won it as a Simeon Cobourne goal bound shot was brilliantly saved by Radford and Whitehurst headed wide from a Stuart Hendrie corner.

Great game at Greenwich Av ends all square

Taken from Basford web site
By Chris Munroe.

One of the best games at the Avenue this season saw United pegged back and then fight back for a 3-3 draw in a pulsating MRL game v Coleshill Town

With so many games falling by the wayside in the East Midlands today, then those spectators venturing to Basford to the swell the gate well past 3 figures today got a great game.

United gained an early advantage on 8 minutes as Coleshill Town Defenders and keeper got in a real tangle defending a through ball. Lee Hendrie was the beneficiary to coolly pick his spot past keeper Jay for 1-0. A game that swung back and forth saw the visitors draw level on 42 minutes. A deft cross took out United keeper Radford and Berkley volleyed home at the back post for a HT 1-1 score line.

The goal of the game to start the 2nd period saw Basford back in front on 48 min. Cory Grantham setting up Lee Hendrie who picked his spot with a great strike for 2-1.

Coleshill drew level on 73 minutes. A brilliant free kick from Tom Weale caught out United keeper Radford for 2-2. With time ticking down Lee Hendrie hit the bar and United keeper Radford made 2 big saves. Coleshill looked to have won the game on 83 minutes as a vicious in swinging corner found its way to Danny Douglas, who bundled home for 2-3.

Basford hit back to gain a point as central Defender Dion Miekle rose majestically to power home a fine header from a Lee Hendrie corner for 3-3.

Fitting the game ended in a draw as neither team deserved to lose this one in a brilliant game. United have taken 4 points off a very good Coleshill outfit this season, & that is a great return, as without question the best team we have played so far this term.

Return to “First Team Match Reports 2014-2015”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests