Long Eaton United 0 v 4 Coleshill Town

First Team Match Reports 2014-2015

Moderator: Alan Beckett

Alan Beckett
Site Admin
Posts: 2212
Joined: Sat Oct 12, 2002 11:25 am

Long Eaton United 0 v 4 Coleshill Town

Postby Alan Beckett » Sun Feb 08, 2015 4:25 pm

Saturday 7th February 2015
Midland Football League Premier
Long Eaton United 0 v 4 Coleshill Town
Scorers: Craig Milligan, Mykel Beckley, Tom Weale, Shane Benjamin.
Attendance: 136.

Opposition Man Of The Match: Kieran Wells (Long Eaton). Colehill! No one nominated by the opposition.

United: Markell Bailey, David Boafo, Aaron Cole, Jermain Hollis, Chris Jones, Tyeisse Nightingale, Joshua O'Brien, Ross Parker, Shaun Rickford, Theodore Smith, Kieran Wells. Subs Jermaine Palmer, Benjamin Watkiss, Adam Burton, Thomas Cooper-Richards, Gerome Palmer.

Town: Chris Jay, Rob Evans, Will Worthington, Danny Douglas, Luke Edwards, Danny Tymon, Mykel Beckley (Simeon Cobourne), Craig Milligan (Ryan Nash), Shane Benjamin, Tom Weale, Dean Rathbone. Subs not used Leon Weller, Ricky Cutting, Oliver Casey.

Coleshill Town climbed up to third place following their 4-0 win at league leaders Long Eaton United. The home side were the better outfit for much of the opening period but paid the price for not converting their chances when Craig Milligan chipped Town into the lead a minute before the break. Three goals in 15 second half minutes then swept Long Eaton aside as Coleshill deservedly wrapped up the win. Striker Mykel Beckley pounced on a loose ball to net from six yards on 63 minutes before Tom Weale fired in a tremendous free kick. Shane Benjamin added his name to the scoresheet when he wrapped up the scoring following up a long range effort from Danny Tymon.

Match Report
It wasn't many weeks ago that it was quoted "It's Long Eaton's title to lose" and if they weren't up to the task, Basford were waiting in the wings for any slip up! But a tremendous run by Coleshill (20 points from the last 24) and Lye Town (21 from 24) have put them both well and truly "in the title race".

Following a fine point at Basford last week end, Coleshill were confident of getting something from the trip to Long Eaton but couldn't have dreamed of such a fantastic result. I can't recall Coleshill ever beating the current league leaders, certainly not in my 16 years at the club. Even during our promotion year, 2007/2008, we lost both league games to long time leaders Highgate United! But after a shaky start, Coleshill were just too good for United who had previously only lost once before at home and that by the odd goal in 5.

Long Eaton started the better of the two sides and made the most of their physical superiority! Every dead ball situation was contested by the "big lads up from the back" and Chris Jay in the Town goal had to be at his best! From a Hollis corner, a Kieran Wells header was well saved by the visitors stopper! But Jay made an even better save when the same player shot from 7 yards! Wells headed wide from another corner, then Jay made a magnificent reaction save when a free kick by Bailey was deflected goalward from point blank range. Coleshill were struggling to get a foothold in the game but could have taken the lead with their first real attack. Mykel Beckley sent the overlapping Rob Evans down the right wing and his cross found Tom Weale in front of goal but his effort went over the bar, a great chance to open the scoring. Wells set up Nightingale whose turn and shot was heading in but for a great saving block by Luke Edwards. Boafo headed wide from the resulting corner. With just a minute to go to the break a long Weale throw was only cleared to Craig Milligan lurking just outside the penalty box. The midfielder sent a delicious lob over the home keeper O'Brien and into the net off the underside of the bar.
Half Time United 1 - 0 Town.

The second half was much more even in the opening minutes. Jay punched off the head of Wells, Milligan shot over from 20 yards, an Evans free kick was headed on by Weale to Shane Benjamin whose shot was saved by United's keeper at full stretch and Jay took the ball off the feet of Nightingale as he prepared to shoot. But Coleshill were now getting the upper hand and went further ahead on 63 minutes. A Tom Weale corner was almost punched into his own net by the keeper but was cleared off the line. The ball fell to Danny Tymon who shot for goal only to see the keeper make up for his earlier mistake with a fine save but the ball fell to the feet of Beckley who gleefully accepted the chance to tap home. Tom Weale scored an excellent goal from a free kick at Basford and he repeated the act with another dead ball from just outside the left edge of the box which the keeper could just palm into the net. Coleshill were well on top now and Benjamin could have increased the lead but his goalbound effort was blocked. United countered with a Palmer shot that Danny Tymon threw himself in front of, but in truth the expected onslaught from the top team in the league never came and it was the visitors that scored again in the last minute as a Tymon shot was casually stopped by Benjamin inside the box then stroked into the corner of the net, his 24th league goal of the season.

A match report taken from Long Eaton website
http://www.pitchero.com/clubs/longeaton ... 1-1043853/
Coleshill was a mountain to climb.

by Jon Faulkner

Manager Charlie Palmer was forced to make several changes to the side that drew 1-1 at Stourport Swifts a fortnight ago. Leading scorer Bradley Wells was sitting out due to suspension, Gerome Palmer who is still recovering from a groin injury was an unused substitute and Michael Armstrong was away with the FA. On the pitch David Boafo has been carrying an ankle injury for some weeks and struggled on a number of occasions with knocks picked up.

New signing Chris Jones started on the left for Amstrong along side Rickford, Parker and Boafo. In midfield Bailey, Cole Hollis and Smith with Kieran Wells and Nightingale up front.

The game started well for the Blues, Wells was causing the Town defence problems, on one occasion in the 5th minute his persistance forced a corner on the right. The ball was sent in well by Hollis and it was Wells who got up the highest to send the ball goalwards with a downward header. However the Town keeper reacted well and pushed clear of the box.

Up the other end Coleshill were getting forward in numbers which was forcing the Blues very deep in their own half, that said any shots were from range which failed to trouble O'Brien in goal.

In the 10th minute the Blues had another point blank chance. Cole was sent down the right by Boafo and having skipped over a tackle put the ball into the back post. Nightingale chested the ball but it took to long to drop and his eventual shot was blocked. It only fell as far as Wells 6 yards out. He struck the ball first time but the Town keeper was down well and parried the ball, it was a defender who got to the rebound first and it was punted out.

United were on top and it was the Town keeper once again who kept the scores level in the 15th minute. Jones set up Bailey over on the left who delivered a low cross into the box. Wells flicked the ball on and Nightingale volleyed goalwards. The man between the sticks tipped the ball over brilliantly, a save you would see in the Premiership!

Having weather the initial storm from United, Town began to get into the game more with the game being battled out in midfield, having said this it was still the Blues who looked the more likely to score and in the 25th minute Wells had another chance with a header, an almost carbon copy of the earlier chance. This time the ball flew just wide of the left hand post.

Coleshill first real opportunity came 2 minutes later having broken through the Blues midfield there were no less than 6 town players awaiting a pass, it fell to their number 6 who scuffed his shot wide of the post with O'Brien rooted.

The visitors now began to close down the United players forcing them in to quick passes, whilst the majority of these were played well it meant that Coleshill would intercept.

Town had a chance in the 34th minute from a free kick 30 yards out. Taken by number 10, it was rather a tame effort but it still forced O'Brien to dive low to collect as the ball took a number of bobbles on it way through.

United began to struggle clearing their lines and in the 38th minute it was the visitors who went close again. Coleshill attacked down the right and sent in a low cross, Boafo and Bailey cleared between them but it only fell to Town's number 6 who having chested it blasted a volley goalwards. It was a good shot which O'Brien saved very well.

Into the last 5 of the half and Town had another effort, as they began to gain the advantage in the game. Another break down the right and the ball was perfectly delivered by their number 2. It seemed that the visitors would open the scoring but Town's number 10 fired over from 10 yards.

There was a sense of inevitability by United fans when the first goal did come the Blues were struggling to get through the midfield meaning the ball was pumped down the flanks by the visitors. Again down the right this time a long throw was sent to the edge of the box Craig Milligan controlled the ball before turning and chipping a ball towards goal, O'Brien who was leaning back could only get a touch as the ball hit the under side of the bar and dropped in.
Coleshill had the lead with just a couple of minutes left in the half.

The 2nd was a lot more even than the first and it was Coleshill who had the first attempt in the 47th minute. A goal kick was allowed to be flicked on in the midfield, Bailey picked up the lose ball but was under pressure from 3 Town players. He played the ball over to Jones but he couldn't make up the ground and Town's number 10 drove the ball which went over by a foot or so.

There are periods in matches where you feel a team must score, or for that matter, the next team to do so may go on to win.

In the 55th minute, one of those chances came. A long ball into the box by Rickford and Wells got up to flick on, the ball dropped invitingly for Nightingale 10 yards out, but it got away from the striker and he could only play it into the grateful hands of the keeper. 3 minutes later and it was Hollis who fired wide from 8 yards. After Nightingale had broken into the box a challenge came in which saw the ball bounce to the midfielder. Unfortunately he sliced the shot and it curved wide of the post. Had either of those gone in, the rest of this report may have been totally different.

It wasn't to be though and Coleshill Town hot their 2nd in the 64th minute. A corner on the left was dropped in and cleared well by United, it was a Town player who got to the ball and hit a rasping effort along the ground which O'Brien parried. Beckley was just 3 feet away and prodded the ball into the empty net.

As the game went into its final quarter any hopes of a United comeback were erased when Coleshill scored directly from a free kick. Substitute Watkis was adjudged to have tripped Weale, he took the kick. It was a well placed shot just dropping under the bar. O'Brien got fingers to it but it wasn't enough to keep it out.

To their credit, United kept at it and Watkis went close with 15 minutes to go, Watkis picked up a Coleshill pass in the centre of the pitch, he charged forward and drifted over to the right. Having got near the byline he cut back and shot just on the edge of the box. The ball went inches wide of the near post but you would have to say Town's keeper had it covered.

Jermain Palmer who had just come on had a chance with 8 to go but his effort was blocked just inside the box as the defender flung him self in the balls path.

With 2 minutes remaining Town wrapped up the points adding a forth, a corner on the left again was only cleared just outside the box. It was fired back in with a speculative shot and it was a cruel deflection that put the ball in Tymons path who passed it beyond O'Brien.

Coleshill weathered the United storm in the opening 30 minutes, their keeper, my Man of the match was having an amazing game. From that point it seemed everything Coleshill hit went in! The Blues now have 3 away games on the bounce, but the good news is that most, if not all, the players will be back.

Return to “First Team Match Reports 2014-2015”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest