Coleshill Town 3 v 0 Hucknall Town - FA Vase

First Team Match Reports 2015-2016

Moderator: Alan Beckett

Alan Beckett
Site Admin
Posts: 2210
Joined: Sat Oct 12, 2002 11:25 am

Coleshill Town 3 v 0 Hucknall Town - FA Vase

Postby Alan Beckett » Sun Nov 01, 2015 7:46 pm

Saturday 31st October 2015
F.A. Vase First Round.
Coleshill Town 3 v 0 Hucknall Town
Scorers: Dean Rathbone 2 (1 pen), Luke Barlone.
Attendance: 55.

Colemen: Paul Hathaway, Rob Evans (Chris Hughes), Josh Quaynor, Luke Edwards, Jesse Race, Sam Adkins, Leon Weller, Dean Rathbone, Simeone Cobourne (Reece Leek), Luke Barlone (Luke Chapman) Demetrius Smikle. Subs not used Ricky Cutting, Giovanni Dainty.

Hucknall: James Beddingham, Kajally Danso, Tom Crisp, David Leek, Joe Atkinson, Cameron Davidson, Adam Nelson, Michael Banister, Niall Thompson, Leon Aikman, Kieran Watson. Subs Montell Gatland, Dwayne Neadi, Cayne Maxwell, Daniel Harding.

Coleshill Town were too strong for Hucknall with first half goals from Luke Barlone and Dean Rathbone setting them on their way. Rathbone added a third with a last minute penalty.

Coleshill have seen massive highs, 9-0 win against Bolehall in the League Cup, and massive lows, 9-0 loss to Fylde in the FA Cup, in cup competitions this year and have beaten teams from higher leagues, Stafford, Newcastle, Stamford, Hednesford, so when they were drawn against a team from two levels below them in the FA Vase, there was no way they were going to take them lightly, and it was a good job they didn't as Hucknall put in an impressive performance. The difference between the sides was in the important parts of the field, a solid Town back four and keeper, and in the final third where Coleshill made the most of their chances. Also impressive was the two players making their debuts for the Colemen, Jesse Race and Sam Adkins who both fitted in well and will be a real boost to the squad.

Hucknall started brightly and their Man Of The Match Nail Thompson got to the bye line and Paul Hathaway had to be at his best to save at the near post, then the same player was just about to shoot but was denied by a great tackle by Race. Luke barlone sent Simeon Cobourne free but he dragged his shot wide. Barlone then controlled a long clearance by Hathaway before turning and shooting straight at Beddingham in the Hucknall goal. Crisp hit a thunder shot from distance but the effort rose over the bar. Barlone hit the side netting from a Sam Adkins corner before Coleshill took the lead on 26 minutes. Adkins found Cobourne who crossed to the far post where Barlone was lurking to volley home. Demetrius Smikle sent a 20 yard bending shot just over the bar. For the visitors Watson got to the bye line but his inviting cross was missed by all, then Thompson shot narrowly wide. Barlone sent Adkins clear in the box but a fine tackle by Leek stopped him in his tracks. On 43 minutes a clever pass from Adkins found Cobourne who sent Dean Rathbone through on goal and his powerful left foot shot gave Beddingham no chance. Aikman shot wide and Nelson hit the side netting from a Danso cross for the visitors.

Coleshill dictated the pace in the second half and although Hucknall tried hard, they were comfortably kept at arms length. Barlone headed over, Reece Leek's dangerous cross was well cleared, then Barlone's header from a corner was cleared off the line. Nelson's volley was well saved by Hathaway at the foot of the post, Thompson had a shot blocked and there was a shout for a hand ball but it would have been harsh. An Adkins corner was almost put in his won net by Danso, Beddingham tipped over the bar a shot from Demetrius and then saved 25 yard effort from Adkins. Beddingham grabbed a Weller cross on the stretch with Hughes waiting to nod home, then Hathaway was at full stretch to push away a cross by Gatland that could have been a tap in for a midfield runner. Luke Chapman was through on goal but Leek again produced a goal saving tackle. Adkins sent in a rocket shot that was goal bound but took a deflection for a corner. Luke Edwards did a double block to deny Thompson then Watson before Rathbone made the game safe with just a couple of minutes to go. His mazy run took him along the 18 yard box and after evading several tackles he was finally sent sprawling and got up to convert the spot kick himself!

A fine win and now looking forward to the draw on Monday!

Another View
A Match report taken from Hucknall Town web site ... /0-3194732
Town's FA Vase cup run ends

Hucknall Town bowed out of the FA Vase after a 3-0 defeat away at Coleshill Town who play two levels higher on the football pyramid.

Although the score line flattered the hosts thanks to an injury time penalty Coleshill’s decision making in the final third was the difference overall and they deserved their win.

Town had to contend with injuries and illness, with Adam Nelson starting up front and Kieran Watson on the left, Niall Thompson started on Towns right.

The first twenty minutes was a little cagey but the yellows were playing the better and the more easy on the eye football, Coleshill were content to play long to their impressive number ten to flick on and try and get their lively striker away.

Town were looking competent in their build up but when they got into a dangerous position the final pass was the wrong one time after time. Niall Thompson brought a good save from the Coleshill keeper when he ran on his own and then a great tackle by Coleshill defender prevented Thompson from unleashing his shot.

Coleshill had a couple of half chances and James Beddingham saved well before Towns Tom Crisp hit a shot that rose over the Coleshill bar.

Coleshill took the lead on 26 minutes when their big number ten had an easy tap in following a good cross.

Kieran Watson put in a good cross but the ball evaded a yellow shirt and then Thompson shot narrowly wide.
Town were dealt a blow with two minutes to the half time whistle when Crisp cut inside and appeared to be fouled on two occasions before being dumped on the ground by a third tackle – town appealed but the ref waved play on – the next pass found a Coleshill player who was played through and hit a shot powerfully past Beddingham.

Town had a lot of the possession but Coleshill dictated the pace of the game but did not have the threat as they had in the first half – the yellows had a big shout for a penalty turned down when a shot was blocked by both forearms of a Coleshill defender – the referee waving play on much to the annoyance of the Yellows supporters (who made up over half of the paltry 55 attendance).

The Yellows had a golden chance to pull a goal back and make the last 15 minutes interesting when Montell Gatland crossed hard and low but somehow Watson could not get a foot to it.

Beddingham made a very good save before the tie was sealed when Dave Leak made minimal contact with Coleshill player and the referee pointed to the spot and the resulting kick made it a flattering 3-0.

After the match Andy Graves spoke to

I thought the second goal coming when and in the manner that did dented our confidence, ultimately I felt it was our decision making with the final pass when we got into good positions that let us down and the big ones that you expect from the officials didn’t go our way.

Overall they made the difference in levels count with their finishing but it shows there is not a huge gulf between us and step 5 and I wish them well in the next round.

We are obviously disappointed that our Vase journey has ended but we have made progress as a club and gone two rounds further than last season.

Their local paper reporter thought we were impressive so it’s a shame we did not play to the potential and form we have this season.

Another big cup game this Saturday against Linby in the Notts Senior cup so we must quickly regroup and prepare for that.

Town MOM: Dave Leak

Return to “First Team Match Reports 2015-2016”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest