Highgate United 1 v 2 Coleshill Town

First Team Match Reports 2015-2016

Moderator: Alan Beckett

Alan Beckett
Site Admin
Posts: 2224
Joined: Sat Oct 12, 2002 11:25 am

Highgate United 1 v 2 Coleshill Town

Postby Alan Beckett » Tue Nov 17, 2015 10:53 pm

Tuesday 17th November 2015
Midland Football League Premier
Highgate United 1 v 2 Coleshill Town
Gate: : Ricardo Richards.
Colemen: Luke Barlone 2.
Attendance: 55.
Opposition Player Of The Match: Aaron Brown (Highgate) Luke Barlone (Coleshill)

Gate: : Catlow; Cole; Pulisciano; Edwards (c); Brown; Turner; Adams (Taylor 82); Lacey; Smith (Benjamin 55); Richards; Mooney (Cosgrove 47) Substitutes not used: King,Hayward (g/k).

Colemen: Paul Hathaway, Rob Evans, Josh Quaynor, Luke Edwards, Jesse Race, Craig Milligan, Leon Weller, Giovanni Dainty, Luke Barlone, Tom Weale, Dean Rathbone. Subs used Mykel Beckley, Chris Cowley, Josh Nash. Subs not used Simeone Cobourne, Daniel Douglas.

A win over Highgate for Coleshill is rare, but to make it even sweeter this was the first time Gate have suffered defeat at home this season. The conditions were terrible and with several MFA Premier League games postponed and one abandoned, all credit must go to the players who completed the game despite Hurricane Barney's best efforts. Manager Paul Casey said "The conditions were a nightmare and the game shouldn't have been played. You have got to master the conditions though and we have managed to come out on top. The team were excellent and are starting to show the characteristics of last season. Things are taking shape." Two spectacular goals from Luke Barlone sealed a precious win!

Match Report From Highgate Web Site:
By Highgate United

Two stunning goals from Luke Barlone, his second a last gasp header gave Coleshill all 3 points at a windswept Coppice Tuesday night.

Coleshill’s winner deep into time added on ended Highgate’s unbeaten six match league run at the wind swept Coppice, Ricardo Richards’ second half equaliser not enough to prevent Luke Barlone’s brace earning the visitors the bragging rights at the end of what had been a tough local derby for the two sides, both sets of players deserving praise for what under the circumstances had been an entertaining ninety plus minutes.

Disappointment though for the hosts who despite enjoying more of the possession throughout lacked their usual cutting edge up front, creating plenty of half chances in and around the box but lacking the reactions needed to put such opportunities away. Credit though to the visitors who always looked sharp on the break, defended well and had the man of the match in keeper Paul Hathaway.

In the absence of the suspended Lei Brown Tyrone Smith accompanied Richards up front, Joe Adams made a full start on the right of midfield whilst James Cosgrove, Dale Taylor and Shane Benjamin were available for places on the bench. Both teams learned an early lesson with long balls swept out of play by what was now blowing a gale, Scott Turner standing his ground with a firm winning tackle on Dean Rathbone. Conditions were such that even trying to sensibly keep the ball on the ground and to feet was proving difficult, although Bradley Catlow saw action in holding on to Rathbone’s drive and was then out of his area to come out on top in a tackle with Barlone.

Barlone it was who opened the scoring after nine minutes the home defence failing to deal with a difficult high ball giving the centre forward enough time and space to despatch a stunning twenty five yard strike which caught and bent on the wind flew into the top right hand corner of a well beaten Catlow’s net. Smith won Gate’s first corner of the game hit by Adams a foot high of the far upright, Hathaway then saving low down from Richards at the foot of his right hand post.

In 19th minute Tom Weale should have doubled the lead but having rounded Catlow hesitancy allowed Turner to get back with an important interception. Richards looped a header off Trevor Edwards’ cross into Hathaway’s hands whilst at the other end Catlow did well to palm Leon Weller’s dangerous cross behind for a corner. Gate were enjoying a good spell of pressure which although to prove fruitless saw Aaron Brown hook Lacey’s free kick over the bar Lacey himself then not far off target from the edge of the box.

Smith hit a half volley off Adams’ pass into Hathaway’s body the keeper then holding on to a deep cross delivered by Joseph Cole from wide on the right. After Edwards had been brought down chasing Nathan Pulisciano’s pass Brown skimmed the top of the woodwork via Hathaway’s finger tips, the half ending with Connor Mooney high from long distance, Coleshill having their noses in front and Gate looking to do better than merely huff and puff after the break.

HT: Highgate United 0 v 1 Coleshill Town

Hathaway confidently held on to yet another Lacey free kick under Richards’ challenge, Catlow equally sure in turning Rathbone’s low drive behind for a corner. Despite enjoying the better of the attacking play there was still little threat posed to the visitors’ goal although Richards was to go close with a flick on which by-passed Hathaway before being intercepted by full back Rob Evans on the line.

Benjamin came on as a sub for Smith immediately firing in a low cross which proved too strong for Richards to control in front of goal, Coleshill defending resolutely as Gate ramped up the pressure.

The equaliser came after 67 minutes the result of patient build up play starting with Catlow at the back, Brown picking out Richards who out muscled Luke Edwards to pick his spot between Hathaway and the keeper’s right hand post. The goal was a long time coming but no more than deserved, Adams doing well to control Benjamin’s headed pass but failing to trouble Hathaway with an attempted chip, Edwards then forcing a good save from the number one at the foot of the near post.

Catlow kept his side on level terms with a brave save from substitute Ryan Nash whose positive run had cut through the home defence, Turner back to miraculously head the resulting goal bound lob for a corner. Hathaway made a point blank reaction save to deny Cosgrove from six yards out, Adams volleyed into the custodian’s body, Benjamin then unlucky to see a shot kicked off the line before heading over.

Coleshill finished strongly with Catlow palming out a difficult inswinging corner, but with the referee looking at his watch and with four extra minutes played Gate were to be denied a point when Barlone powered a header worthy of winning any match high into the roof of the net.

Return to “First Team Match Reports 2015-2016”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest