Uttoxeter 3 v 4 Coleshill Town - FA Vase

First Team Match Reports 2015-2016

Moderator: Alan Beckett

Alan Beckett
Site Admin
Posts: 2212
Joined: Sat Oct 12, 2002 11:25 am

Uttoxeter 3 v 4 Coleshill Town - FA Vase

Postby Alan Beckett » Thu Dec 17, 2015 6:35 pm

Wednesday 16th December 2015
FA Vase 3rd Round
Uttoxeter Town 3 v 4 Coleshill Town
Uttoxeter: Tommy Smith 2, Calum Lovatt.

Coleshill: Dean Rathbone 3, Reece Leek.

Attendance: 214.

Uttoxeter: Langridge, Ritchie (Price H 65), Ward, Price D (Lovatt 71), Lovatt C, Hornsey, Gadsby, Esplin, Atherton, Smith, Bagley.

Colemen: Paul Hathaway, Rob Evans, Josh Quaynor, Luke Edwards, Danny Douglas, Giovanni Dainty, Reece Leek, Tom Weale, Luke Barlone, Demitrius Smikle, Dean Rathbone. Subs used Chris Cowley, Ryan Nash. Subs not used Dominic Cotters, Richard Gregory, Craig Milligan.

Coleshill Town boss hails his FA Vase heroes

COLESHILL Town FC boss Paul Casey said his side's thrilling FA Vase win over Uttoxeter last night was testament to his team's character and determination.

Casey saw his side come from a goal down to record a last-minute 4-3 win and book their place in the next round thanks to a Dean Rathbone hat-trick.

And speaking after he said: "It was an incredible performance. To go there on a Wednesday night with five players unavailable due to work commitments over Christmas shows amazing character and I am over the moon.

"We nearly threw it away. We were 1-0 down at half-time and then we woke up I changed the shape a little bit and we went 3-1 up. A mistake from us trying a trick on the halfway line when the right back was overlapping and they had six in our box cost us and then they put 11 up top and got the equaliser.

"It was deflation to elation but our win was thoroughly deserved. I do not know how they managed to score three goals. They were physical and great going forward but we outplayed them."

Coleshill will now host either Dunston UTS or Seaham RS on January 9 and Casey is looking forward to the challenge.

He added: "They will have to travel far to us. We are hoping we can capitalise on this but at this stage of the competition all teams will be excellent. It will be a tough game but we are confident. We have had to go up north in the past but now it is time for them to come to us."

"It will be a great opportunity for us to progress further and it will be interesting to see how we cope with them."

The manager is now urging his side to put their Cup form to the back of the players minds as they now concentrate on the league however.

"It is important we switch on now with our league form and put this to the back of our minds until the game," he said.

"Our cup form has never been questioned so hopefully we can use it for our league form."

Uttoxeter had the better of the first half and took the lead with a Tommy Smith goal on 27 minutes. There looked to be no danger with goalkeeper Paul Hathaway preparing to make a long clearance but his punt was charged down and fell kindly for Smith who only had to tap into an empty net. A re-shuffle in the line-up reaped an early reward when Town levelled within three minutes of the re-start when Dean Rathbone's shot from the edge of the box found it's way through a sea of legs to find the net. Coleshill took the lead on the hour mark when Rathbone was allowed to run through on goal and when Langridge saved his effort Reece Leek was on hand to finish the move. When Luke Barlone was felled in the box and Dean Rathbone converted the penalty on 77 minutes the tie looked over. No-one however had told the home side and they stormed back with two late goals, the first on 89 minutes and the second three minutes into time added on! The home sides hearts were broken and Coleshill were delirious as Dean Rathbone completed his hat-trick in the 95th minute when a Rob Evans long throw was headed on at the near post by Luke Barlone to the unmarked Rathbone at the far post who tapped home the winner to send Coleshill Town through to the 4th Round of the FA Vase!

Another View
A match report taken from the Uttoxeter we site

Proud Town Bow Out Of The Vase
By Admin 2014

A winning goal in the 95th minute broke Town's heart and knocked them out of this years Vase after a fantastic run in the competition.

Uttoxeter Town bowed out of the last 64 of the FA Vase in heart breaking and dramatic fashion to end their FA Vase dreams for this year.

In keeping with the three previous games, a packed Oldfields witnessed an end to end encounter with a breathtaking finale as the Towns rollercoaster ride of a Cup run eventually came to a halt.

Coleshill were always favourite for the tie, sitting two leagues above their Staffordshire counterparts and in a run of good form but this was no strange place for Uttoxeter who were competing against a team above their level for the fourth Vase match in succession.

Sean Dunion was the only absentee from the Town side that had come past Coventry United in the previous round and so in came Jim Hornsey on the right of midfield just in front of talented youngster Oli Ritchie.

Dom Ward and Doug Price again formed the central defensive partnership in front of keeper Langridge with Cal Lovatt at left back. Martin Gadsby and Kyle Esplin were paired in central midfield flanked by Jono Atherton on the left and the in form partnership of Tommy Smith and Lee Bagley in attack.

Dean Arnolds men started well and the early signs were that the big name reputation of their opponents would detract from Towns performance. Coleshill clearly had talent, especially on the break and it was easy to see how they had achieved their own giant killings this season, overcoming Stafford Rangers and Rushall Olympic in the FA Cup.

A fairly even spell of play saw half chances at both ends but when Jono Atherton stole in to head straight at the visiting keeper it was clear to Coleshill that Town would not be the walk over that many of their visiting support may have been expecting.

Jim Hornsey then tested the keeper again when he latched on to a Bagley flick only for the keeper to get down well before Atherton cut in from the left and stung the keepers hands again.

Next up to try his luck was Esplin after dancing past the Coleshill midfielder but his left footed shot screwed two foot wide of the upright.

The visitors, albeit seemingly suspect in defence, certainly looked a handful on the break with their direct approach play and quick wingers but Town were by no means overawed and the hosts took a step closer to a January fixture with previous FA Vase winners Dunston UTS when Tommy Smith grabbed his third Vase goal in four games, chasing a Doug Price ball that the keeper looked to clear but as Smith bore down on the Coleshill number one the clearance deflected off the striker and headed towards goal leaving the front man to smash home into an empty net to the delight of the hundreds watching.

It was just the tonc Town needed and they continued to dominate the rest of the first half against the illustrious opponents with only a half chance smothered by Langridge as close as Coleshill came to grabbing an equaliser.

The half time whistle came with Town in control and the restart of the second half nearly saw that lead doubled within seconds, Esplin took the centre off Bagley and clipped a remarkable ball inside the Coleshill full back for Atherton to bear down on goal. The youngster ran through and beat the keeper but his shot flew inches past the post.

Coleshill seemed a different side after the break and were lifted by the Atherton chance leaving them still in the game and their early pressure told when Town didn’t clear their lines and the ball was eventually worked to Dean Rathbone on the edge of the box and as he shot through a crowd of players his effort made it’s way, via a deflection, into the bottom corner.

Town never seemed to get going in the second period and they were hit again in minutes later when Rathbone, although seeming yards off side was allowed to run through on goal and when Langridge saved his effort the ball left winger Reece Leek with an easy opportunity to put the game apparently safe.

Town looked to have lost their edge but they continued to try and cause Coleshill problems as their fragile defence dropped deeper and deeper and with 7 minutes remaining the hosts grabbed a lifeline after some consistent pressure.

A Kyle Esplin corner was delivered into the danger area and with Bagley rising to head goalwards the ball found it’s way through to Smith who turned sharpest and smashed in his second goal of the game.

The clock ticked on and in the 93rd minute Town were in dreamland when another set piece was parried by the keeper after a scuffed effort in the box and Calum Lovatt reacted quickest smashing home the rebound and delighting the brilliant crowd.

Only seconds remained and Atherton nearly snuck in for a winner when he latched on to Bagleys header but Hathaway covered well in the Coleshill goal to keep them in the tie and seemingly heading towards extra time but it was with 30 seconds left that Towns hopes were dashed.

Another long throw into the box was flicked on and an unmarked Rathbone was on hand to tap the ball home to the despair of the players, management and fans with ultimately the last kick of the game.

The players were left drained but on reflection everyone associated with the club can be so proud of the achievement as the journey the whole club made together was an unforgettable one.

Town: Langridge, Ritchie (Price H 65), Ward, Price D (Lovatt 71), Lovatt C, Hornsey, Gadsby, Esplin, Atherton, Smith, Bagley.

Return to “First Team Match Reports 2015-2016”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests