Coleshill Town 1 v 3 Dunston UTS - FA Vase

First Team Match Reports 2015-2016

Moderator: Alan Beckett

Alan Beckett
Site Admin
Posts: 2212
Joined: Sat Oct 12, 2002 11:25 am

Coleshill Town 1 v 3 Dunston UTS - FA Vase

Postby Alan Beckett » Sun Jan 17, 2016 9:35 am

Saturday 16th January 2016
FA Vase Fourth Round
Coleshill Town 1 v 3 Dunston UTS After Extra Time - 1-1 at 90 minutes.
Town: Danico Johnson.
UTS: Dale Burrell, Steven Richardson, Aristotte Guerin.
Attendance: 223.
Colemen: Paul Hathaway, Rob Evans, Josh Quaynor, Luke Edwards, Jesse Race, Sam Atkins, Reece Leek, Craig Milligan (Dean Rathbone), Mykel Beckley, Giovanni Dainty (Danico Johnson), Demitrius Smikle (Simeon Cobourne). Subs not used Nathaniel Lewars, Guy Clarke.

Dunston: Liam Connell, Michael Pearson, Daniel Halliday, Dale Burrell, Adam Wilkinson, Luke Gilhespy, Daniel Smith, Alex Francis, Steven Richardson, Malcolm Morien, Liam Thear. Subs Aristotte Guerin, Andrew Clark, Michael Steinmetz, Shane Brooks, Stephen Harrison.

Colemen Hit By Shortage Of Manpower

Coleshill's FA Vase run came to an end as they were beaten 3-1 in extra time by Northern League side Dunston UTS. And to cap a miserable afternoon for the Colemen, they finished the game with EIGHT men after Rob Evans, Sam Atkins and Dean Rathbone saw red. The visitors were given the perfect start when Dale Burrell lifted his shot over the Coleshill keeper from just outside the area for a fourth minute opener. Luke Edwards rattled the up-right with a free-kick for the home side on the hour before the Midland Football League outfit forced the tie into extra-time when striker Danico Johnson skipped his way into the area before curling a shot into the net. Dunston regained the lead ten minutes into extra time when Steve Richardson powered a shot past the Town keeper and they made sure there was to be no fightback from the hosts when Aristotte Guerin rounded off the scoring five minutes from the end with a delightful shot that soured into the top right hand corner.

Dale Double Dumps Out The Colemen

Dunston booked their place in the last 16 of the competition with this extra-time victory over their Midland Football League hosts. But Coleshill were the architects of their own downfall, finishing the game with eight men. The Northern League visitors made the perfect start at Pack Meadow when Dale Burrell opened the scoring after just four minutes, sending a delightful chip over home keeper Paul Hathaway's head from 20 yards out. Coleshill matched their visitors evenly after the goal and were unlucky not to level on the hour when Luke Edwards drilled a free-kick against the up-right. But the Colemen did force the tie into extra-time when striker Danico Johnson levelled with a gem of a goal, dancing past two defenders before curling his shot in off the far post. Rob Evans was the first Town player to see red at the end of normal time and Dunston made their extra man count ten minutes into the extra period, when Burrell smashed the ball into the Coleshill net from just inside the penalty area. Johnson went close to levelling for a second time soon after, visiting goalkeeper Liam Connell doing well to deny him, only for the home side to then have both Sam Atkins and Dean Rathbone dismissed going into the final stages and see their chances of getting anything from the game recede. Any slim hope of the game going to a replay were truly dashed when Aristotte Guerin made it 3-1 five minutes from the end, a delightful shot into the top corner to earn a fifth-round tie away to Kent side Ashford United.
STAR MAN: Dale Burrell (Dunston)

Coleshill's FA Vase dream came to an end at the same stage as two years ago, to the same opposition and even the same goalscorer! The format of the game was almost identical as well as Dunston enjoyed the opening period and deservedly took the lead, Coleshill slowly came into the game and equalised late on to take the tie to extra time after dominating the closing stages but let it all slip in extra time. The difference this time was that Town ended the game with just eight men!

Manager Paul Casey opted for a cautious starting eleven with just Mykel Beckley on his own up top with the hope of keeping the game tight then introducing an array of attacking options late on and the plan almost worked to perfection! Dunston started confidently as you would expect from one of the competition favourites! Paul Hathaway in the Town goal saved at the foot of the post from a Wilkinson header, Francis shot wide and Rob Evans made a great goal-saving tackle on Richardson all before the visitors took the lead on nine minutes. A throw in down the left was flicked on to Burrell who spotted Hathaway off his line and cleverly lifted the ball over the keeper and into the net. Dale Burrell was of course the man that scored the winner back in 2014. A shaky start, and maybe showing the opposition too much respect but Coleshill slowly but surely forced their way into the game. Sam Atkins shot just inches wide from the edge of the box. Reece Leek was having a fine game and had the beating of the full back! One run down the right flank ended with Gilhespy clearing Leek's dangerous cross over his own bar, and then the young winger had two goal-bound shots blocked. Josh Quaynor did well to clear a fine cross by Halliday, then Morien only just failed to get on the end of a Smith cross and seconds later a Smith shot was deflected for a corner. Beckley set up Craig Milligan but his shot was lifted over the bar from a great position as the half ended with all still to play for.

Dunston should have extended their lead within seconds of the re-start but Hathaway made a great save from a Richardson shot. Visiting keeper and UTS captain Liam Connell made the first of several fine saves as he gathered Demitrius Smikle's shot at the foot of the post. Smikle then shot straight into the keepers midriff as Coleshill started to dominate. A sustained attack inside Dunston's box ended with a big shout for a penalty as Milligan's shot appeared to hit a hand. Leek's quick feet gained him a free-kick on the edge of the box and Sam Adkins fine effort was excellently saved by a combination of Connell and the foot of the post. Smith shot over the bar and Francis forced a corner but it was all Coleshill at this point. Connell was quickly off his line to get to a Reece through ball just before Beckley, then substitute Simeon Cobourne should have levelled the score when he was on the end of a Rob Evans long throw but his header was hacked off the line with the keeper beaten. Francis and Richardson worked a short corner and when the cross came in Wilkinson should have done better than send his unchallenged header over the bar. Coleshill benefited massively from that let-off as on 85 minutes they finally got reward for their second half performance as Danico Johnson levelled the score. There looked to be no danger as Johnson received the ball, with his back to goal, outside the penalty area but his clever turn took out two players and his curling shot found the net via the angle of post and bar! Game On! Adkins's corner was headed goalward by Evans but again with the keeper beaten the ball was hacked off the line by a defender. Then it all went wrong!!!! Rob Evans had only just been booked for a needless foul but when a loose pass left him well out of position his lunging tackle earned him a second yellow card and he was off! Dunston could have won it in the 90 minutes but Hathaway saved from Halliday but Coleshill had an even better chance to avoid extra time when a Dean Rathbone cross found Cobourne at the far post but his effort went the wrong side of the post.

With ten men, extra time was going to be tough but Coleshill still had chances to nick the tie. Adkins won the ball in mid-field, made quick ground then fed Cobourne who's shot was brilliantly saved by Connell and Cobourne was injured in the process. Sam Adkins' free kick brought out an even better save from Connell at full stretch. Hathaway saved from Burrell and the Luke Edwards cleared an effort off the line before Dunston regained the lead when a fine run and cross by Francis left the onrushing Richardson the easy task off shooting into the net. Hathaway then made a great save from Richardson as the tie started to slip away from the home side. A fierce tackle by Adkins had the whole of the UTS team surrounding the referee and he was pressurised into showing a straight Red card. Dean Rathbone went on a mazy run taking him past several defenders but when he finally lost the ball his frustrated lunging tackle was also met with yet another Red card. There was still time for Connell to deny Coleshill yet again as he flung himself across goal to save an excellent effort from Johnson.

The second period of extra time was a farce with Town realistically down to seven men with poor Simeon Cobourne hobbling through the last 15 minutes with no substitutes left to make. Dunston made it 3-1 when Guerin found the net but Paul Hathaway kept the score respectable as he twice saved from Richardson and Guerin hit the post.

The dream over for another year but once again Coleshill can hold their heads up high as they ever so nearly pulled off a major shock! Good luck to Dunston in the next round and also a speedy recovery to Liam Thear who had to be stretched off! I don't know the extent of the injury but all at Coleshill hope it's not to bad!

AND FINALLY A VIEW FROM THE OTHER SIDE A match report taken from Dunston web site: ... ltown.html
Dunston Survive to Beat Gallant Coleshill in Extra Time
16th January 2016
FA Vase Round 4
Coleshill Town. 1
Dunston UTS 3. Aet (1-1 after 90 minutes)
Attendance 223
Dunston travelled south to Coleshill near Birmingham in a 4th Round FA Vase tie on Coleshill's new 3G pitch which has negated the frost and rain of the past 2 months and ensures that a game would be played. Dunston have a squad which is depleted of the cup- tied players, Bowey, Fisher and Shaw but are still able to field a strong startingline up after their 3rd round 1-0 victory against Seaham RS. Coleshill have the advantage of their pitch and last week produced a 10-1 victory in the league againstsecond bottom Dunkirk. It promises to be a competitive game.
Dunston took an early lead with a Dale Burrell chipped shot over Hathaway and both sides battled in a reasonably even first half but Coleshill could not break the Dunston defence. After the interval Coleshill had the incentive to again push on for the equaliser and pressed the Dunston defence back but it was a real moment of magic as substitute Johnson jinxed one way and then the other to create an opening which saw him send a shot which went across the goal and into the top corner of the Dunston net hitting boththe cross bar and the inside of the post giving Connell no chance of making a save.
The game entered extra time and both sides were now evenly matched but it was Dunston who got the goal when Steven Richardson met a Guerin drive into the Coleshill goal area and turned the ball into the net. In a period of madness by Coleshill, which saw three players being dismissed for three different occasion alongside an injury to the scorer Colbourne, saw Coleshill's chances of a replay fade as Dunston played the ball around the field. In the second half of extra time, Guerin added a third goal after Francis crossed from the right and he slotted his shot past a helpless Hathaway ensuring that the victory was Dunston's
The game started with both sides testing each other and it was Dunston who got the first chance on 3 minutes as a Francis free kick from the right wing had to be cleared for a corner, from the corner Wilkinson had a header which Hathaway saved pushing the ball out in the direction of Richardson who shot wide of the near post. Coleshill replied and they won a free kick on the left which the Dunston defence cleared, on 5, Richardson looking sharp attacked the defence, the ball was partially cleared to Francis who shot from 20 yards but this was also cleared. On 9 a throw in from Halliday was headed on by Morien to Burrell who seeing Hathaway off his line played in a chipped shot which entered the Coleshill net for the opening goal of the game.
Coleshill were immediately on the offensive as Quanor shot from 20 yards out straight into Connell' midriff, on 14 Smith had a shot from the edge of the box and Hathaway saved, a minute later Leek played in a low cross right across the Dunston area evading all in its path to safety, this was followed by an Adkins attack for Coleshill as he went through two strong challenges in the box only to see his effort go wide of the far post. Dunston were battling to protect their lead and Coleshill had chances on 23 as Connell thwarted a pass from Quanor to Beckley and on 27 when Wilkinson cleared the ball from a Leek cross for a corner and then on 30 as a Leek shot was deflected and Connell collected. Dunston had a chance on 41 as Smith played in cross which was deflected for a corner, the corner was cleared before Milligan for Coleshill shot wide from a right wing cross from 15 yards out. Just before half time Edwards headed over from a Quanor free kick.
Half time score: 1-0 to Dunston
The second half started with Richardson being played into the Coleshill box, his first shot hit the keeper only for the rebound to hit Richardson and go out of play for a corner. Coleshill were determined to get an equaliser and on 52, Smirkle shot and Connell had to push the ball wide before collecting, on 53 Smirkle shot from 25 yards which Connell collected. Coleshill continued to apply pressure on a steadfast Dunston defence which was only relieved as Leek played the ball out for a goal kick. On 60, Coleshill were awarded a free kick on the edge of the box in the centre of the goal, the free kick was taken by Adkins which Connell saved. On 62, a Francis corner was deflected over the cross bar by Smith, and 3 minutes later Francis collected a ball in the area and did well to force a corner. Still pushing hard Coleshill had chances on 68 as Leek broke into the box playing onto Beckley but Connell intervened and collected the ball and then on 71, Colborne got in a header which was headed clear off the line.
Dunston lost Thear on 72 with a gashed leg in a challenge which required a visit to hospital for stitches. From a free kick just inside the Coleshill half by Hathaway, Evans released a shot which went wide of the target. On 80, Beckley played in a low shot which Connell collected, before on 85, Dunston almost increased their lead as Wilkinson headed wide from a Richardson cross. A minute later Coleshill got their reward as Johnson collected on the edge of the box , jinxing first to his left and then to his right he beat two men before unleashing a shot which hit both the back post and the underside of the cross bar giving Connell no chance.
On 89, Pearson almost scored but his shot come cross went wide of the post, as the game went into added on time both sides were still looking for a winner and Coleshill had a last minute effort in the 5th added on minute as a Beckley shot was almost turned in by Johnson at the back post. Evans was sent off for a second caution after making a last ditch challenge as Dunston broke.
Full Time Score. Coleshill Town. 1 Dunston UTS 1
In the third minute of extra time Johnson had a stopped by Connell and then cleared by Pearson, in the 96 minute Adkins played in a free kick which Connell saved. Dunston fighting back almost scored as Smith had a header cleared of the line before Guerin played a low cross into the area were Richardson was unmarked and able to turn the ball into the net for 2-1 to Dunston. The events which followed saw Adkins was sent off for a challenge on Burrell, followed by yet another reckless challenge by Rathbone on the by line ending his time on the pitch. In added on time Guerin had a shot saved by Hathaway before Johnson had a shot saved by Connell and then then headed over the bar from a corner. Dunston almost scored on 106 as Francis crossed for Guerin whose shot was saved low down by Hathaway.
On 110 minutes Guerin secured the result again slotting home a low cross from Francis on the right. 3 - 1 to Dunston, on 117 minutes Richardson broke through the still resilient Coleshill defence and was one on one on the keeper but his shot hit Hathaway and then off bounced off Richardson for a goal kick, again a minute later Richardson forced a good save from Hathaway as he pushed his shot over the bar, wIthin another minute Guerin swept another cross from Francis beating Hathaway but hitting the post and bouncing out of play.
Dunston Man of the Match: Liam Connell - Liam pulled of some important saves and kept his side still in the game. The defence played well led by Luke Gilhespy and it was an overall team performance which all the players can be proud of.
Coleshill Town: Hathaway, Evans, Quanor, Edwards, Race, Adkins, Leek, Milligan (Rathbone 72), Beckley, Dainty (Johnson 65), Smirkle (Colborne 70). Subs not used: Lewers, Clarke,
Dunston UTS: Connell, Pearson, Halliday, Burrell, Wilkinson, Gilhespy, Smith, Francis, Richardson, Morien (Guerin 90+2) Thear (Brooks 72, Steinmetz 110). Sub not used: Clark, Harrison

Return to “First Team Match Reports 2015-2016”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest