Coleshill Town 1 v 1 Boldmere St Michaels

First Team Match Reports 2015-2016

Moderator: Alan Beckett

Alan Beckett
Site Admin
Posts: 2205
Joined: Sat Oct 12, 2002 11:25 am

Coleshill Town 1 v 1 Boldmere St Michaels

Postby Alan Beckett » Thu Jan 28, 2016 6:23 pm

Tuesday 26th January 2016
Midland Football League Premier
Coleshill Town 1 v 1 Boldmere St Michaels
Town: Shane Benjamin.
Mikes: Jack Skinner.
Attendance: 77.
Opposition Player Of The Match: Shane Benjamin (Coleshill), Dominic Perkins (Boldmere).

Coleshill: Paul Hathaway, James Williams, Josh Quaynor, Luke Edwards, Guy Clarke, Craig Milligan, Reece Leek, Giovanni Dainty (Tom Weale), Shane Benjamin, Mykel Beckley (Simeon Cobourne), Dean Rathbone. Subs not used Demitrius Smikle, Ricardo Reid, Jesse Race.

Boldmere: Sean Butler, Callum Rudd, Anthony Fitzmaurice, Dominic Perkins, Alex Forde, Ben Wilkinson, Ryan Nash, Jason Holmes, Kieron Clarke, Roland Agbor, Charlie Morris. Subs Adam Robinson, Mathew Gardner, Andrew Malcolm, Jack Skinner. Harry Howard.

Coleshill will be really disappointed with just a point from the visit of Boldmere St Michaels as they try to break into the top ten in the league table. But in truth this wasn't one of Coleshill's best performances and they came up against a side that was well up for the challenge and harassed and closed down the home side at every opportunity and fully deserved their share of the spoils.
The Mikes started the better of the two sides and could have took the lead in the first few minutes when Perkins volleyed wide a Wilkinson free-kick. Town keeper Paul Hathaway saved at the foot of the post a shot from ex-Town favourite Ryan Nash and Clarke missed a great chance to score although he would have been off-side had he done so! Another ex-Coleshill player and keeper Sean Butler saved from Gio Dainty and Craig Milligan shot over the bar as the Colemen slowly started to get a grip on the game. But it was the visitors that came closest again when Agbor hit the side netting after a fine run by Perkins. Coleshill should have opened the scoring when a great cross by Dainty was headed over the bar from a great position by Luke Edwards and Shane Benjamin headed a Reece Leek cross wide.

A half with few chances and not much more entertainment, but Coleshill took the lead within a minute of the re-start. Dean Rathbone's corner caused confusion in the Mikes box! Mykel Beckley had a shot charged down but the ball fell nicely to Benjamin who slammed the ball home from no more than 3 or 4 yards but through a ruck of players. This should have settled the home team down but the game became edgy and scrappy. Butler saved from Beckley and Hathaway saved from Agbor, then Butler made an even better save from Beckley, and Hathaway made the save of the game as he instinctively pushed a volley from Clarke over the bar. Butler saved at the feet of Simeon Cobourne as Coleshill searched for a second goal that would have killed the game. But Boldmere sensed an opportunity and as Coleshill eased off the Mikes upped the pressure and with five minutes to go got their reward. Quick feet by Howard got him to the bye line and his cross was met by Skinner who swept the ball home for the equaliser. Either side could have won the game as Howard and Skinner combined again but Guy Clarke was on hand to clear and Town had a free kick an inch outside the box but Benjamin's effort hit the wall. The points shared and probably the right result!

A VIEW FROM THE OTHER SIDE A report taken from the Boldmere web site ... /1-1618974
A point was the least The Mikes deserved from their visit to Pack Meadow after an excellent display against Coleshill Town.

Manager Stuart Grosvenor made five changes from Saturday's win at Dunkirk, with a clear focus on the superb new 3G surface.

A bold attacking lineup full of pace and energy took the game to the home side from the first whistle.

Almost too literally in the case of Roland Agbor, who was cautioned with barely a minute on the clock.

Recent signing from the Colemen Ryan Nash was then fouled wide on the right and Ben Wilkinson's wicked delivery found Dom Perkins inside the 6 yard box, but the big defender was unable to divert glorious chance on target.

Sean Butler saved comfortably from a low 25 yard effort before The Mikes returned to the offensive.

Charlie Morris was to the fore and was causing problems for full-back Williams. The youth team wide man produced a sublime piece of skill to totally embarrass his marker, before advancing goalwards along the byline. His driven low centre was cleared by the home defence at the second attempt.

Keiran Clarke was next to get a sight of goal as he burst through the inside right channel, and his rising shot looked destined for the top corner before Hathaway stretched to divert it round the post. Much to the striker's chagrin, the referee chose to award a goalkick.

It was the visitors doing all the pressing and next it was skipper for the night Jason Holmes who saw his drive fly over the bar from just outside the box after the home side had partially cleared another dangerous Wilkinson freekick.

The home side got their first real sight of goal and should have taken the lead from close range header, before Holmes rising drive suffered a similar fate from a similar position to his earlier effort.

To concede would've been very harsh on the visitors, who ended the half back on the front foot, but unable to make the breakthrough.

If The Mikes could consider themselves unfortunate not to be ahead of the break, the home side soon set about punishing them as they took the lead very early in the second period. The Mikes made heavy weather of clearing their lines and the ball felt to Shane Benjamin who had the simple task of firing high into the net from close range.

The Mikes were threatening but Butler had to be at his best to make a superb block at close range.

Kieron Clarke had a great shout for a penalty, but stayed on his feet when clipped and was unfortunate play wasn't brought back when the chance was gone due to him being off balance. Who says honesty pays?

The Mikes made three attacking changes as they set about finding a deserved leveller. Wilkinson fired a fierce free kick over the bar before the visitors forced a flurry of corners then eventually came to nothing. Substitute Harry Howard was causing a number of problems for Quanor, who was getting more exasperated in his efforts to deal with his trickery.

The visitors looked to have squandered their best chance of an equaliser when Clarke met an inswinging cross in the 6 yard box. If anything, the striker caught the ball too well on the volley as Hathaway stuck out a hand to superbly divert the ball over the bar.

If the Boldmere contingent were getting the feeling that it was going to be another 'one of those days' on what hasn't been a happy hunting ground in recent times, thankfully the players thought otherwise. They continued to drive forward with pace and purpose and got their just rewards with five minutes to go.

Howard, who had taken up where Nash left off, left Quanor for dead and drilled the ball across the 6 yard box where fellow substitute Jack Skinner gleefully steered the ball home past the exposed Hathaway.

The Mikes continued to press forward in search of a winner, but the home side looked very dangerous on the break with the pace of substitute Colbourne a menace.

There was a scare as Perkins was penalised for handball just outside the box and Benjamin lined up a dangerous freekick. The wall did it's job as the big striker's fierce drive was repelled and Fitzmaurice completed the clearance.

Colbourne raced through again but was bravely denied by Butler and the game ended all square.

On the balance of play, a point was the least that the visitors deserved and they will feel disappointed not to have collected a maximum haul after a solid team performance where everyone contributed.

However, manager Stuart Grosvenor will be pleased with the four point return from two tricky away games where his squad has been utilised to the full. Making five changes on the back of a win and a clean sheet is always a risk, but the manager will be pleased that his selection was vindicated and will be encouraged by the depth of quality the squad has shown across two very different games.

Return to “First Team Match Reports 2015-2016”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest