Coleshill Town 1 v 2 Stourbridge - Interlink Invitation Cup

First Team Match Reports 1997-1998

Moderator: Alan Beckett

Alan Beckett
Site Admin
Posts: 2370
Joined: Sat Oct 12, 2002 11:25 am

Coleshill Town 1 v 2 Stourbridge - Interlink Invitation Cup

Postby Alan Beckett » Mon Jun 27, 2016 5:35 pm

Tuesday, 10th February 1998
Interlink Midland Invitation Cup Round 2
Coleshill: Paul Charnley pen.
Stourbridge: Ross Knight, Toby Hall.
Att: 44

Coleshill: - A. Hollis, Pat Dunworth, Andrew Green, Robert Sweeney, Wayne Fisher, Andy Burnham, Lee Lavery, Desmond Seivwright, Andrew Taylor, Mark Charnley, Paul Charnley

Subs – Craig Whitmore, Patrick Daly, Loz Cairns

Stourbridge: – Steve Johnson, Liam Meenan, Ross Knight, John Horne, Steve Wilkinson, Adam Bastable, Tim Nicholls, Gary Hackett, Toby Hall, Matt Coppin, Dave Trend

Subs: Francis Hayter (for Knight), Andy Lally (for Hackett), Steve Ingram (not used)

Stour scorers – Knight, Hall

Report – The Glassboys overcame the shock of falling behind early on to book their passage into the next round. We dominated the game almost from start to finish, but Coleshill battled doggedly and with several chances going begging, we were never completely comfortable.

We made the running right from the start and almost went ahead on 7 minutes following a long throw-in from Knight, which created a scramble in the box before the ball broke to Nicholls, whose shot was blocked by young keeper Hollis. Out of the blue though Coleshill won a penalty from their first real attack. Knight rather needlessly conceded the spot kick and Paul Charnley stepped up to send Johnson the wrong way and put the Combination side ahead.

Stourbridge fought back and only a clearance from Dunworth from underneath the crossbar denied Coppin who had lobbed the advancing keeper. On 37 minutes Knight powered forward and his low shot was fumbled wide by Hollis.

Stourbridge finally drew level five minutes before the break as Coppin held the ball up well on the edge of the box before laying a pass off to Knight, who drilled his shot into the roof of the net to make amends for his earlier error.

Stourbridge continued in the same vein after the interval with Wilkinson going close and then the home side enjoyed a slice of luck when Wilkinson found Coppin with a through ball. He clipped the ball over Hollis, but his shot hit the crossbar and bounced down into the keeper’s hands.

Stourbridge took the lead in curious fashion on 56 minutes through Hall who latched onto a piercing pass before striking an early drive from a tight angle, which the keeper was only able to palm into the roof of the net at his near post.

Nine minutes later Nicholls won a header on the edge of the box, in front of a stranded Hollis, but Green, the covering defender, was able to clear the danger. With twelve minutes remaining, Hall won the ball on half way before breaking clear. However he wasted the chance to sew up the game by shooting wide of the far post. Six minutes later, a deep cross from Wilkinson found Hall unmarked, who directed his header over the bar. Hayter was introduced late on and he had an opportunity in the closing stages after being released down the left by Hall, but his shot was blocked by Hollis to keep the score-line tight to the very end.

Details courtesy of Nigel Gregg, Stourbridge.

Return to “First Team Match Reports 1997-1998”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests