Postby Alan Beckett » Tue Jun 28, 2016 4:01 pm

Saturday 10th January 1998
Endsleigh Midland Combination Premier
Coleshill Town 1 v 0 Southam United
Scorer: Mark Charnley.

P22 W13 D5 L4 F47 A25 Pts44 Pos1/21

Team: Mark Charnley. (Confirmed)

Sunday Mercury Wrote
Mark Charnley ensued three points for leaders Coleshill Town who beat Southam United at Pack Meadow. Southam kept out their hosts until the 70th minute.

BIRMINGHAM EVENING MAIL WROTE
Final Whistle?

One of Birmingham's oldest football clubs could be forced to close unless a backer can be found immediately. Members of the 104 year old Coleshill Town FC are desperately appealing for a sponsor to inject urgently needed funds into the club and they claim that, if extra funding cannot be found, Coleshill Town will have to fold. Sid Kitchen, Chairman of Coleshill Town Colts, said: "We lost our regular sponsors in 1994 and what we need now is a sugar daddy. We've been playing football at this club for 104 years and it would be tragic if we had to fold now, particularly as our first team has an excellent chance of being promoted this season." The club, founded in 1894, currently has 116 players in six teams aged from 12 to adult and runs a Mini Soccer School for 30 children aged six to ten. In 1994, it received the Football Association's "Long Service Award." Mr Kitchen said the club's committee had planed to build a new stand and expand facilities to include a physio-therapy suite, a mini gym, changing facilities and officials rooms. But unless cash can be found to improve facilities, the first team cannot be promoted from the Endsleigh Insurance Midland Combination Premier to the Interlink Midlands Alliance division. "When I realised the club was under threat of closure I was close to tears," added Mr Kitchen. "There is no future for this club unless we get a regular sponsor and I'd like to appeal to anyone who can help to contact us immediately."

N.B. With Coleshill top of the league and heading for the championship why would Manager Martin Sockett decide to leave? I suspect this report didn't help and by the game with Wellesbourne on 24th January, Loz Cairns and Mark Charnley were in charge and Martin Sockett had gone to V.S.Rugby.

Return to “First Team Match Reports 1997-1998”