Highgate United 1 v 5 Coleshill Town

First Team Match Reports 1994-1995

Moderator: Alan Beckett

Alan Beckett
Site Admin
Posts: 2212
Joined: Sat Oct 12, 2002 11:25 am

Highgate United 1 v 5 Coleshill Town

Postby Alan Beckett » Sat Apr 02, 2016 12:07 pm

Saturday 26th November 1994
Skol Midland Combination Premier
Highgate United 1 v 5 Coleshill Town
Scorers: Jimmy Stafford 2 (1 pen), Jason Phillips 2 (or Shepperd), Jonathan Johnson.

P12 W4 D2 L6 F20 A28 Pts14 Pos12/18

Team: Darren Baker, Colin Cooke, Neil Hughes, Jonathan Johnson, Jimmy Stafford, Jamie Shipway, Jason Phillips, Wilson, Sheppard, Kilfoyle, Setters. (Confirmed)

Highgate United manager Les Healey was far from happy after his side were thumped 5-1 at home by Coleshill Town, and according to Healey, it was the club's senior players who let the side down. Teenage substitute Dave Cameron scored Highgate's goal but it was barely a consolation as the visitors chalked up five through John Johnson and two apiece for Jimmy Stafford and Jason Phillips.

Highgate Slump To Third Defeat

Highgate United slumped to their third consecutive league defeat against a strong Coleshill side who totally out-played their Shirley based hosts in this one sided contest. Angry Manager Les Healey could only show total frustration at such a spiritless display that saw his side lack ideas in all departments. The defence was torn apart at ease by a rampant visiting attack. In ex-Highgate player Jimmy Stafford, Coleshill had a Man Of The Match midfielder who pulled all the strings and contributed with his own two goal haul. Manager Healey left captain Andy Taylor on the bench, with Dave Willetts recalled to midfield, and goalkeeper John Strong made his home debut in place of Craig Dutton. A frantic opening period saw Lee Robinson twice clear from Stafford and Setters, and Coleshill keeper Baker came off his line to kick clear from Ged King and Gary Annand. Johnson stretched Gate's defence with his pace in the 10th minute but was adjudged narrowly offside when in a scoring position. At the other end Keith James rose to head Willetts flag kick a yard wide. Shipway sent a tame effort into Strong's arms and Johnson's cross shaved the far post. But Gate also had their chances, with James firing an angled drive into the side netting. Maintaining the pressure, King drove Robson's pass against defender Hughes. But Johnson caught the Highgate defence cold with a quick break, only to be brought down in the box by Robinson's crude challenge. Stafford punished his old side from the penalty spot, and from then on Coleshill were in control. Stafford and Wilson failed to make the most of good chances, but James came close to a 40th minute equaliser when his header from Willetts' free kick flashed past the post. Coleshill continued with some cultured football after the break and looked in total control, with Stafford driving a 30 yard effort wide. In a rare Highgate attack, keeper Baker finger-tipped Wayne Crook's driven cross away from the head of Robson, but with the home defence back-pedalling, Wilson sent a low drive inches past the post. Phillips and Shipway both pulled shots across the face of goal. Wilson volleyed past the near post and Phillips' header drifted just wide. The visitors increased their lead in the 70th minute when Shepperd swept home Kilfoyle's cross. They went further ahead just two minutes later when Stafford made no mistake from six yards out. Substitute David Cameron gave the Highgate faithful some hope with a well struck goal in the 75th minute and just seconds later saw an identical drive scrape the crossbar. Willetts slip allowed Cooke to put Johnson through for the fourth goal on 80 minutes. Shepperd put the final nail in the coffin with a superb diving header from Kilfoyle's cross on the final whistle.

Alarm bells are ringing at Tythe Barn Lane after Highgate suffered a crushing 5-1 home defeat at the hands of impressive Coleshill. United Manager Les Healey has now seen his side concede 17 goals in a disastrous run which has plummeted the Shirley-based side into the basement department of the Skol Combination Premier Division. Despite being beaten five times, newcomer John Strong in goal had an encouraging game but the United boss must be trying to work out how he can plug his leaking defence. The visitors made the initial breakthrough in the 21st minute when Jonathan Johnson's pace brought a rash tackle from Lee Robinson and former Highgate player Jimmy Stafford scored from the resulting penalty. Coleshill took a strangle hold on the game but despite their superiority it was not until 20 minutes from the end that they increased their lead through Shepperd, sweeping the ball home from close range after good work by Wilson and Kilfoyle. Two minutes later Stafford took advantage of a mistake by Lance Robert to grab the third but substitute David Cameron cut the arrears with a superb 75th minute drive. But any hope that United had of salvaging anything from the match disappeared as Johnson made it four before Shepperd completed Highgate's misery in the final minute.

*Mercury has it as Phillips as scoring twice but both the Solihull News and Times have it as Shepperd!

Return to “First Team Match Reports 1994-1995”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest