Stratford Town 0 v 0 Coleshill Town

First Team Match Reports 1993-1994

Moderator: Alan Beckett

Alan Beckett
Site Admin
Posts: 2212
Joined: Sat Oct 12, 2002 11:25 am

Stratford Town 0 v 0 Coleshill Town

Postby Alan Beckett » Mon Feb 01, 2016 5:33 pm

Saturday 21st August 1993
Skol Midland Combination Premier
Stratford Town 0 v 0 Coleshill Town

P3 W0 D1 L2 F0 A5 Pts1 Pos20

Team: Jason Prince, Jimmy Stafford, Jonathan Johnson, Mark Hopkins, Jimmy Byrne, Delroy Amory, Colin Cooke, Paul Wilson, Errol Black and Steve Whipps as a second half substitute. (Confirmed) Michael Curley, Kevin Walsh, John Taylor. (Probable but not confirmed)

Substitute Whipps made a big impact for Coleshill in the second half but his industrious work failed to generate the much needed win. Black went close but was foiled by the Stratford keeper.

Coleshill Town were held to a goalless draw at Stratford on Saturday.

Chances Missed As Town Held

Stratford had a golden opportunity to take top spot in the Premier Division at Mason Road on Saturday but they blew it with another succession of missed chances. In the end, they had to be happy with a point against one of their "bogey" teams. Town could have had the game sewn up early on as they dominated a Coleshill side who had lost their two opening league games without scoring. They also had top keeper Mickey Chapman out injured and brought in a late signing in Jason Prince. They were there for the taking but, for the second game running, Stratford could not provide the finishing touch. Coleshill grew in confidence, Stratford's play became more and more sloppy and a shock defeat looked on the cards in the second half. But luckily Coleshill failed up front as well. Town striker Gary Foster had a day to forget as, time and again, he got into positions to score but could not plant the ball into the net. In early Stratford raids, Ronnie Malcolm ran on to a poor back pass but Prince somehow deflected his shot wide and Foster and Gary Hannam both went for a Malcolm cross but it was the keeper who came away with the ball. Hannam sent John Mitchell clear but his shot was blocked and then a tremendous header by Foster from a corner was cleared off the line by Jimmy Stafford with the goalie beaten. It was all Stratford and Foster forced his way through again but could only get in a weak shot, and then the big striker hit another effort straight at the keeper. Gradually Coleshill began to get into the game and Norman Batchelor bowled over the speedy Jonathan Johnson when he burst through, Mark Hopkins drove the free-kick over the bar. Johnson was a constant threat to Stratford but Paul Aldridge was in commanding form at the back, stopping him with a well-timed tackle and then clearing a Jimmy Byrne free-kick off the line. Johnson put a shot wide and Delroy Amory had the ball in the net for Coleshill but was pulled up for offside. Stratford shook themselves out of a lethargic spell for Mitchell to have a smart cross picked out by Prince and again Foster failing with a double chance. From a Malcolm chip Foster had a header saved but the keeper's outstretched foot and, when the ball came back to him, Foster stabbed it the wrong side of the post. Just before the break the unhappy Foster had another effort cleared off the line by Colin Cooke and Malcolm shot tamely at Prince. For the second half Stratford had substitute Ian Tonnor on for the injured Dave Roberts and they faced some pressure as Coleshill surged forward. Another great Aldridge tackle stopped Amory in full flight. Foster had another shot blocked at the other end but Town were opened up again as Amory was allowed acres of room but his shot rolled agonisingly the wrong side of the post. Keeper Dave Parker dashed way out of his area to get in a good tackle to prevent a Johnson break-through. As Town roused themselves again, the outstanding Aldridge powered in a header from a Rob Blakeney corner but Prince superbly tipped over. The keeper then dealt with further efforts from Foster and Malcolm and skipper Easton Shaw sent Foster clear but again his shot was weak. The game ended in deep disappointment and their unbeaten run came close to being ended on the whistle as Paul Wilson's shot from outside the penalty box flashed inches wide.

Return to “First Team Match Reports 1993-1994”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests