Bolehall Swifts 3 v 3 Coleshill Town

First Team Match Reports 1993-1994

Moderator: Alan Beckett

Alan Beckett
Site Admin
Posts: 2224
Joined: Sat Oct 12, 2002 11:25 am

Bolehall Swifts 3 v 3 Coleshill Town

Postby Alan Beckett » Mon Feb 01, 2016 7:23 pm

Saturday 4th December 1993
Skol Midland Combination Premier
Bolehall Swifts 3 v 3 Coleshill Town
Scorers: Jonathan Johnson, Colin Cooke, Mark Hopkins pen.

P19 W3 D6 L10 F22 A33 Pts15 Pos17

Team: Mickey Chapman, Eamon Murphy, Jimmy Stafford, Neil Hughes, D. Smith, Mark Hopkins, Paul Wilson, Delroy Amory, Jonathan Johnson, Sean Kananagh, Colin Cooke. Subs Jimmy Byrne, Trevor Brown. (Confirmed)

Coleshill put Bolehall under pressure and deservedly took the lead after ten minutes when Johnson beat keeper Nichols to a loose ball and fired into an open net. Albrighton later collected a throw and hit a powerful shot which keeper Chapman failed to hold and through the efforts of Carter and then Wassell, Boldmere equalised. In the 38th minute Albrighton's persistence again up the left wing brought about a further goal for Boldmere when Chapman again failed to hold his shot and Carter picked up the pieces. Cooke equalised for Coleshill in the 43rd minute with a cross come shot which Nichols failed to intercept.
Half Time Bolehall 2 v 2 Coleshill.

A controversial 75th minute penalty from Hopkins gave Coleshill a well merited draw. Brown was alleged to have handled and despite protests Hopkins stepped up to snatch a draw. Coleshill had dominated the early exchanges and had gone ahead in the 11th minute through a volley from Johnson. But Bolehall were always in contention and Wassell equalised. Albrighton proved to be a persistent threat to Coleshill and he set up the goal from Carter which enabled the home side to take the lead. Two minutes before the break Cooke run through to hit the equaliser. In the second half both teams battled hard with Smith regaining Bolehall's lead only for Hopkins to deny them victory.

All Square In Six Goal Thriller

For a side that performed so admirably the previous week against high riding Shifnal, Bolehall sank back to their frustrating habit of inconsistency against middle of the road Coleshill. There was little determination to be seen despite the goals, and this must be causing the management some concern - where was the desire to succeed as seen the week before? After an even first 15 minutes Swifts conceded a simple goal, a half-hearted clearance was picked up in mid-field, it was pushed through to Johnson who side-stepped the keeper and tapped home. The Swifts didn't trouble the visiting defence or goalkeeper for over 30 minutes, although the Swifts keeper saved his side from going further behind when bravely at the feet of Johnson to smother the ball. In a five minute spell the whole context of the game changed with a switch to the oppositions goalmouth, and Swifts grabbing two quick goals. Both strikes were identical - the first on 38 minutes came after a run by Matty Smith, he squared to Dean Albrighton whose drive was only parried by the keeper. Dave Wassell followed up to finish the move off. It was also an Albrighton volley that was too hot to handle by the keeper, that provided the second goal, this time Derek Carter slid the ball into the net. On the stroke of half time Bolehall were stunned by an equaliser when Cooke sent a long range free kick sailing over the keeper's head. So many of the Swifts passes went astray that it was offered that they were suffering from temporary colour blindness - it was through one these errors that Coleshill almost re-took the lead when Hopkins was given the ball and struck a vicious cross shot just wide of the far post. Swifts went in front again on 80 minutes with a delightful goal, Albrighton collected the ball in midfield, played it out to Wassell on the right, he swung the ball over to the other flank where full back Matty Smith brought it under control, sidestepped a defender then curled his shot round the keeper. The three points were squandered when a needless hand ball in the penalty area five minutes from time gave Coleshill a life-line from the spot - Hopkins duly converting.

Return to “First Team Match Reports 1993-1994”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest