Coleshill Town 0 v 1 Highgate United

First Team Match Reports 1993-1994

Moderator: Alan Beckett

Alan Beckett
Site Admin
Posts: 2212
Joined: Sat Oct 12, 2002 11:25 am

Coleshill Town 0 v 1 Highgate United

Postby Alan Beckett » Mon Feb 08, 2016 9:56 am

Saturday 15th January 1994
Skol Midland Combination Premier
Coleshill Town 0 v 1 Highgate United

P24 W4 D8 L12 F26 A45 Pts20 Pos17

Team: Darren Baker, Eamon Murphy, Jimmy Stafford, Neil Hughes, D. Smith, Mark Hopkins, Steve Whipps, Paul Wilson, Paul Bodfish, Jonathan Johnson, Jamie Harden. Subs Marcus McDonald, Sean Kavanaugh. (Confirmed)

Neither side showed any dominance throughout the first half with play being fairly even. Coleshill missed several chances at scoring with the best opportunity being a shot by Bodfish on an open goal being kicked too wide and going out for a goal kick. Highgate's best opportunity was a header from Annan which went over the crossbar.
Half Time Coleshill 0 v 0 Highgate.

The second half began with Highgate putting pressure on Coleshill. Coleshill's inability to retain possession assisted in the opening goal for Highgate with a cross coming into the box being intercepted by Wark and headed over Baker. This forced Coleshill to step up their game and they fought for an equaliser. This was nearly attained with a shot by Harden going wide. Another good effort came from Stafford which was pushed aside by the keeper. Several other efforts went close but the equaliser never came.

Wark Delivers United Winner

Graham Wark's 68th minute goal gave Highgate their first win in eight league outings as the completed a first league double of the season in a highly entertaining encounter at Coleshill. Gate put their recent dismal form behind them with a determined display of attacking football and ended up deserved victors. Both midfields worked hard to get the game flowing and on ten minutes Mark Page set up Gary Annand, only for the striker to screw Highgate's first chance wide. The pace was maintained up to the break with Masters clutching a Bodfish long range effort out of the air and Annand stretching to head yet another Cash cross over the bar. In the 47th minute Annand almost forced home a Cash cross which had eluded Baker and Page then shot low into the box with no Gate forward on hand to finish. In the 68th minute Highgate took a hard earned lead. After starting the move, Wark scored a tremendous far post goal when he crashed home Cash's cross. The home side strode forward in search of the equaliser, Stafford bringing a magnificent finger-tip save out of the impressive Masters and Arden pulling the ball wide when well placed. Conway had a drive blocked and in the ensuing melee Baker fumbled Bennett's follow up shot but Annand was unable to force home the loose ball. Highgate defended in numbers in the dying minutes but still found time to create chances. Baker dashed out to kick Wark's through ball off the toes of substitute Robert Higgs and Wark himself failed to chip the keeper with a 25 yard attempt.

Wark Halts Highgate's Losing Streak

Highagte halted a depressing run of results with a welcome 1-0 win at Coleshill Town. Graham Wark's 68th minute strike finally did the trick, recording Gate's first win in eight outings. Wark started and finished the move smashing home a deep cross from former Solihull Borough player Rory Cash, who was making his debut. Coleshill included Paul Bodfish in their attack, recently signed from Highgate, and he should have scored against his former team mates but missed infront of goal on 17 minutes. However Highgate were good value for victory and could easily have added further goals, especially when Mark Page swept a Wark pass against the legs of Coleshill defender Wilson on the goal-line. It was another ex Highgate man Jimmy Stafford who nearly brought Coleshill back on level terms in the 77th minute, but his long range shot was brilliantly turned around the post by keeper Andy Masters. Both sides had chances to score in the closing stages and Coleshill's Harden should have done better than hook wide from only three yards out after 80 minutes.

Return to “First Team Match Reports 1993-1994”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests