Coleshill Town 0 v 5 Stratford Town

First Team Match Reports 1993-1994

Moderator: Alan Beckett

Alan Beckett
Site Admin
Posts: 2212
Joined: Sat Oct 12, 2002 11:25 am

Coleshill Town 0 v 5 Stratford Town

Postby Alan Beckett » Mon Feb 08, 2016 10:00 am

Saturday 29th January 1994
Skol Midland Combination Premier
Coleshill Town 0 v 5 Stratford Town

P26 W4 D8 L14 F27 A53 Pts20 Pos17

Team: Darren Baker, Jamie Harden, Jimmy Stafford, Colin Cooke, D. Smith, Mark Hopkins, Steve Whipps, Dean Meyrick, Paul Bodfish, Jonathan Johnson, Paul Wilson. Subs Sean Kavanaugh, Marcus McDonald. (Confirmed)

The first goal of the game came in the 35th minute with a shot by Stanners followed by a second goal by Fletcher three minutes later. Coleshill replied with a shot by Meyrick which was pushed away by Hart for a corner and a drive from Stafford which was caught by the keeper. Fletcher added a third goal when Coleshill's defence were unable to clear the ball from their area.
Half Time Coleshill 0 v 3 Stratford.

Throughout the second half Stratford kept the Coleshill defence on their toes with Baker having to make a double save before eventually getting the ball out for a corner. An error in Coleshill's defence allowed Stratford through. A shot was pushed out, came back and Smith (D) had to clear off the line only for the ball to be returned and finally collected by Baker. Fletchers' hat trick came in the 80th minute followed shortly Stratford's fifth gaol taken by Smith (A).

New Look Town In Five Goal Romp

After four successive defeats, Stratford's much changed side came storming back with a five goal demolition of "bogey" team Coleshill on Saturday to get their season back on course. Following the humiliating defeat by Kings Heath, manager Mark Fogarty decided on a clear-out and his new selection was justified as Town swept to their best win of the season. They dominated throughout and, as well as scoring five, had two other goals disallowed rarely allowing Coleshill a sniff of a chance. Fogarty said "That was much better and I was delighted with the all round performance. The atmosphere in the dressing room was right, we played as a team with a pattern of play that I knew they would stick to." New signings Gary Fletcher and Ian Stanners got amongst the goals and Fogarty said "There was more movement from the front two that I have seen from Stratford before and it is the first time we have scored more than two since I have been at the club." The Stratford back four, with the recall of Eddie Barnes, gave nothing away and the experienced Bobby Trindle, previously with Kings Heath, came in to add extra stability to the midfield. New signing Marcus Powell, the former Northfield and Evesham striker, also impressed when he came on as substitute. After a fairly even first twenty minutes in which Town keeper Mark Hart made one important save, Stratford took control and went into the lead on 35 minutes. Stanners scored a fine, opportunist goal as he turned and hit a left foot shot into the corner of the net. Two minutes later, the ever dangerous Fletcher took the ball off a defender and when his shot came back off keeper Baker, slotted home the rebound. The former Sherwood Celtic player then headed into the net for Town but is was disallowed for offside. Three minutes before the break, Stratford added their third through Mark Robinson. Andy Smith pulled the ball back to Dave Roberts who put over a cross which Fletcher challenged for and Robinson latched on to the loose ball to fire home. Coleshill tried to stage a fightback in the second half but could make little headway and Town gradually got on top again. Assistant Manager Mick Flaherty came on as substitute for Trindle and dictated the midfield play. He headed the ball into the net but the goal was disallowed for a foul before Stratford got their fourth after 75 minutes. Flaherty sent Fletcher clear and he raced on to shoot past the keeper for his fourth goal in five appearances. As Town swept forward, Stanners twice failed in one-on-one opportunities against the keeper but they made it five after 82 minutes. A through ball from Gary Hannam put Andy Smith away and he drove the ball past the advancing Baker for his first goal for the club.

Return to “First Team Match Reports 1993-1994”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest