Armitage 90 AFC 2 v 1 Coleshill Town

First Team Match Reports 1992-1993

Moderator: Alan Beckett

Alan Beckett
Site Admin
Posts: 2212
Joined: Sat Oct 12, 2002 11:25 am

Armitage 90 AFC 2 v 1 Coleshill Town

Postby Alan Beckett » Thu Dec 31, 2015 10:24 am

Saturday 15th August 1992
Ansells Midland Combination Premier
Armitage 90 AFC 2 v 1 Coleshill Town
Scorer: Steve Whipps.

Team: Mark Hart, Jamie Harden, Stuart Randell, Jim Rosborough (Mark Hopkins), Jamie Turton, Neil Chatwin (Martin Wyatt), Steve Whipps, Paul Wilson, Phil Bailey, Trevor Burroughs, Paul Casey. (Confirmed)

J.C. Decorators Man Of The Match Award: Steve Whipps.

P1 W0 D0 L1 F1 A2 Pts0 Pos15

COLESHILL HERALD WROTE - Before the season began!
Coleshill Town remain something of an enigma, capable of staying around the top all season but never quite grabbing the honours and consistency will be their aim this term.

Armitage were presented with a good opening after five minutes when Haddock put Ayres through. As Coleshill keeper Hart raced off his line the Armitage striker shot high and wide. Armitage almost took the lead after 20 minutes when Bennett set up Ayres on the edge of the area but Hart produced a fine save. Coleshill threatened when Bailey broke away on the right wing, but his cross was superbly held by Clayton.
Half Time: Armitage 0 v 0 Coleshill.

Armitage had to rely on a goal from Jason Rhodes ten minutes from time to overcome a resilient Coleshill side. The hosts took a 46th minute lead when a brilliant midfield move allowed Paul Haddock to break through and shoot home. Coleshill equalised on the hour when Steve Whipps capitalised on a dreadful defensive mix-up. Armitage secured the points after 80 minutes when Rhodes headed home Clive Westwood's far post cross.

A somewhat quiet affair for the opening game of the season. Both sides took a long time to settle down, this was not helped by the swirling breeze that was kicking up, making fluent play difficult. The best chance of the first half fell to Mickey Ayers for Armitage. He turned sharply on the edge of the box, but his shot was saved superbly by Mark Hart in the Coleshill goal. After only two minutes of the restart the game came to life. Paul Haddock opened the score for the home side, firing home following a fine midfield move. Coleshill were pegged in their own half for the next ten minutes as Armitage went in search of number two. In their first attack of the second half Coleshill drew level. Steve Whipps capitalised on a dreadful defensive mix-up following seemingly harmless ball played into the box. Coleshill should have gone in front five minutes later but Phil Bailey shot and following a fine one-two between himself and Paul Casey. The game opened up more following this with both sides beginning to push forward. A draw seemed the likely result until seven minutes from time when a momentary lack of concentration in the Coleshill defence allowed Jason Rhodes in to head home to give the home side maximum points.

Return to “First Team Match Reports 1992-1993”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest