Coleshill Town 0 v 2 Mile Oak Rovers

First Team Match Reports 1992-1993

Moderator: Alan Beckett

Alan Beckett
Site Admin
Posts: 2230
Joined: Sat Oct 12, 2002 11:25 am

Coleshill Town 0 v 2 Mile Oak Rovers

Postby Alan Beckett » Sun Jan 03, 2016 6:53 pm

Saturday 6th February 1993
Ansells Midland Combination Premier
Coleshill Town 0 v 2 Mile Oak Rovers

Team: ? Rogan, Mark Bennett, Stuart Randall, Colin Cooke, Jamie Harden, John Taylor, Steve Whipps, Jim Rosborough, Phil Bailey, Trevor Burroughs, Paul Bodfish. Subs Mark Hopkins, Dave Coleman. (Confirmed)

P20 W7 D5 L8 F30 A30 Pts26 Pos10

Keyte in the Mile Oak goal was soon in action racing out of goal to break a menacing run from Bailey. Oak's first real attack saw Wassall turn and beat two defenders on the edge of the box and hit a fine shot which just dipped over the bar. On the half hour a fine 30 yard run by Taylor from Coleshill's midfield ended with his shot easily gathered by Keyte. Bailey finished the half as he started with another fine run through the defence, only to see his shot hit the side netting. Coleshill forced a series of corners as half time neared but the Mile Oak defence held fast.
Half Time Coleshill 0 v 0 Mile Oak.

Mile Oak deserved their victory but had to wait until the last ten minutes before sealing the points. Coleshill's performance never matched their last six matches and Mile Oak took full advantage, dominating most of the second half. Their persistence paid off when Thurman found himself in space on the right and his 20 yard shot was deflected past the Coleshill keeper. Five minutes later Keyte wrapped it up when he broke clear of the Coleshill defence and rounded the keeper for number two.

Oak Grab Derby Glory

Both teams started this game brightly with the emphasis on attacking football and chances were soon forthcoming thanks to both teams determination to use the flanks - mostly via Bailey for Coleshill and Wassall and Ellison for the Rovers. Despite these raids few clear shooting chances occurred, although after 15 minutes Wassall's sharp run and turn on the edge of the box narrowly dipped over the bar. Some good inter-passing by both teams created shooting opportunities for Thurman and Bailey, although neither goalkeeper was tested. Coleshill finished the first half the stronger, forcing a series of corners but non provided any real danger to the Oak goal. The second half started much as the first with plenty of passing movements but no real chances. As the half progressed the Oak steadily started to gain the upper hand with a solid team performance. With 15 minutes remaining Mile Oak's pace on the break started to test Coleshill, and the continual prompting from midfield by Thurman reaped dividends. Picking the ball up from a defensive clearance, he dodged a challenge and played a perfectly weighted ball into the path of Ellison, who from 20 yards placed his well hit shot beyond the keeper. From the re-start Coleshill were looking for a well deserved equaliser and during a spell of pressure, Llewellyn made a spectacular headed goal line clearance. Coleshill took heart from this and pressed forward further only to be caught with a killer blow with less than five minutes left. It was Brian Thurman again who provided a perfect pass setting Wassall clear just inside the Coleshill half. He advanced towards the goal, drew the defender, and played the ball into the path of Kyle Keyte who supported well. Keyte made no mistake by drawing both defender and goalkeeper and then picking his spot for a well worked and well taken killer goal. The 2-0 score may have been a little unjust in Coleshill's eyes, but Mile Oak deserved this victory for a good all-round team performance.

Return to “First Team Match Reports 1992-1993”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest