Coleshill Town 2 v 2 Highgate United

First Team Match Reports 1991-1992

Moderator: Alan Beckett

Alan Beckett
Site Admin
Posts: 2244
Joined: Sat Oct 12, 2002 11:25 am

Coleshill Town 2 v 2 Highgate United

Postby Alan Beckett » Sat Dec 12, 2015 7:41 pm

Saturday 9th November 1991
Influence Midland Combination Premier
Coleshill Town 2 v 2 Highgate United
Scorers: Eddie Barnes, Jim Rosborough.

Team: Mark Hart, Malcolm Teeling, Colin Cooke, Kevin Walsh, Martin Wyatt, Neil Hughes, Steve Whipps, Jim Rosborough, John Taylor, Eddie Barnes, Mark Hopkins. Subs: ??? Curley, Ian Cockerill. (Confirmed)

P14 W4 D7 L3 F17 A15 Pts19 Pos

Coleshill got off to a flying start against title chasing Highgate with a superb solo goal from Eddie Barnes. Cooke floated a cross into the penalty area and Barnes turned past two players before sliding the ball round the advancing Chapman to give his side an 11th minute lead. Coleshill looked the better side in the opening stages but failed to capitalise on chances. Highgate gained confidence in midfield and Ormrod created numerous problems for the home side on the left flank. Determined defending kept out a Highgate onslaught before half time.
Half Time: Coleshill 1 v 0 Highgate.

Malcolm Strikes At Double To Sink Town

Deadly finishing by Ronnie Malcolm gave championship chasing Highgate United three vital points at the top of the table. The home side took the lead when Barnes shot past the advancing Chapman from an angle. A 49th minute raid saw Willie Batchelor head the ball back across the goalmouth where Malcolm smashed it past Hart from close range. The visitors finally took the lead after 58 minutes when Willie Batchelor nodded the ball across to the far post for Malcolm to head in.

*Very strange report from the Sunday Mercury as the headlines say Highgate won 2-1 but on their results section and on the league table it is recorded as a 2-2 draw. A draw would fit in with the end of the season league table and also a Results Chart from the Non League Directory!

Ronnie At The Double

Diminutive striker Ronnie Malcolm was Highgate's hero when his two goals secured a share of the points against a determined Coleshill side. Overall, a draw was a fair result, but United will be kicking themselves for not putting the issue beyond doubt, as Malcolm was also the villain during a second half period that saw several clear cut chances wasted. Early pressure from Highgate saw the home side look distinctly uncomfortable with an experienced back four forced into numerous errors. Norman Batchelor had the first attempt on goal but headed straight into Hart's arms. The keeper then did well to catch Roberts' high cross under pressure from Gray, and Kernick's first touch let him down following a useful build up involving Mullings and Ormrod. Coleshill's opening attack saw Gray take the ball off the toes of Hopkins, and they then took a surprising 12th minute lead against the run of play. Barnes took advantage of a rare mistake by the back four to stride on and comfortably beat the despairing Chapman. The home side began to dominate the midfield exchanges and Taylor should have made more of a moment of panic in the visitors defence with Chapman way out of goal. Hopkins also found himself clear but Bannister managed to force the ball for a corner, from which Rosborough headed straight at the keeper. Highgate were playing themselves into trouble against a sharp-looking attack, but saved their best play for the last 15 minutes of the half. Highgate equalised after just two minutes of the second half. Highgate were suddenly in control and Malcolm should have done better in a one-on-one with Hart, and as they upped the tempo, Malcolm looked more dangerous. Highgate continued to camp in the Coleshill half, winning a series of free-kicks and corners. Norman Batchelor stooped to head the ball back across the goalmouth where Malcolm smashed it past Hart from close range. But despite their superiority United were unable to create any further real chances. Cooke sounded a warning as he shot wide and Chapman was back in action to punch clear off the head of Rosborough, who sprang a surprise in the 80th minute when he coolly netted a deserved equaliser.

Return to “First Team Match Reports 1991-1992”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest