Coleshill Town 1 v 0 Highgate United

First Team Match Reports 1990-1991

Moderator: Alan Beckett

Alan Beckett
Site Admin
Posts: 2244
Joined: Sat Oct 12, 2002 11:25 am

Coleshill Town 1 v 0 Highgate United

Postby Alan Beckett » Tue Nov 10, 2015 5:47 pm

Saturday 25th August 1990
Scoreline Combination Premier
Coleshill Town 1 v 0 Highgate United
Scorer: Tony Malanaphy.

P3 W3 D0 L0 F5 A2 Pts9 Pos2

Team: Paul Lillis,Tony Malanaphy, Trevor Burroughs, Colin Cooke, Jim Rosborough, Kevin Byrne, John Taylor, Greg Bennett, Steve Whipps. (confirmed). Mark Bennett, Paul Jones. Subs: Brad Russell, Malcolm Teeling. (Probable but not confirmed)

Victory With A Sting In The Tale For Plucky Coleshill

Coleshill Town were pleased to notch up their third league win of the season and maintain their 100% record - but the pleasure was tempered by a bad injury to star forward Trevor Burroughs who was stretchered off in the 62nd minute. The Town looked to be the better side right from the off and Highgate clearly had no answer to the home sides mid-field dominance. On the 10th minute a long through ball by left back Colin Cooke found Trevor Burroughs who laid it back for Jim Rosborough to let go a sizzling shot, which from the viewpoint of the home supporters, went just the wrong side of the up-right. Shortly afterwards there was a long range shot from midfielder Kevin Byrne that also went just wide. The only goal of the game came in the 22nd minute when Coleshill's centre forward, big John Taylor, beat his marker to cross from around the right flank corner flag. Former Coleshill keeper Mark Chapman, now between the posts for United, could only knock it on as far as the advancing head of Tony Malanaphy to leave the erstwhile Coleshill favourite clutching air as the rebound sailed into the net. This brings Malanaphy's goal tally to four in three games. Just before the interval, one of the most exciting sequence of moves in the game was created by Coleshill right back Greg Bennett who broke through from the half way line after beating two players to put on a one-two with Steve Whipps. Bennett got in the final cross but it failed to get it's just reward being hastily cleared by a relieved defender. Highgate's only serious efforts were a long range free kick and a well flighted shot from winger Brendan Freeman. Coleshill were well in control when Trevor Burroughs was taken away by ambulance after sustaining a broken leg in what appeared to be a fair tackle. Shortly afterwards Kevin Byrne retired with a groin strain. Burroughs misfortune undoubtedly affected the player's concentration but his team mates hung on. Coleshill had their new goal-keeper on view, Paul Lillis, signed from Walsall Wood, he looked very useful, but the supporters will have to wait for another day to really see what he can do.

Return to “First Team Match Reports 1990-1991”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest