Coleshill Town 1 v 1 Highgate United - Challenge Cup

First Team Match Reports 1990-1991

Moderator: Alan Beckett

Alan Beckett
Site Admin
Posts: 2210
Joined: Sat Oct 12, 2002 11:25 am

Coleshill Town 1 v 1 Highgate United - Challenge Cup

Postby Alan Beckett » Sun Nov 15, 2015 12:20 pm

Saturday 2nd February 1991
Challenge Cup - Quarter Final A.E.T.
Coleshill Town 1 v 1 Highgate United
Scorer: John Taylor.

Team: Roger Tye, Neil Hughes, Bob Timms, Mark Bennett, Wayne Jenkins, Frank Hickman, Phil Bailey, Jim Rosborough, John Taylor, Tony Malanaphy, Tom Daly. Subs Malcolm Teeling, Ian Cockerill.(Confirmed)

Coleshill were the dominant side in the opening stages but failed to convert chances into goals. Mike Gray scored for Highgate just after the interval when a shot from Malcolm was only partially cleared. Taylor levelled the score in the 67th minute with a header into the top corner of the net from a cross by Hickman.

Coleshill were the dominant side in the opening stages but failed to convert good right wing crosses from Daly and Taylor. The visitors looked more dangerous on the break but Coleshill were lucky to clear a short cross from Mike Gray in the 27th minute. Coleshill's best chance was in the 37th minute when Taylor shot wide following a good run by Timms with a through ball from Malanaphy.
Half Time: Coleshill 0 v 0 Highgate

Coleshill continued their steady recent form with a useful point at home to Highgate. The North Warwickshire side were good value for their share of the spoils and will feel that all three points would have been more than justified. Coleshill dominated the first half and had a number of chances to impose themselves but all came to nothing. Taylor, Malanaphy and Daly all had their moments but surprisingly it was the visitors that broke the deadlock when Mike Gray capitalised on defensive confusion to slam the ball home with style. The Town side however were not to be denied their scent of the glory and the busy Taylor deservedly put himself on the score-sheet when he finished off a Hickman cross in the 67th minute to give Coleshill the point they craved. The Herald got this wrong thinking it was a league game.

Below-Par United

Coleshill Town were unlucky not to beat well below-par Highgate United in a tense quarter final Challenge Cup tie and had only abysmal finishing to blame for it. A series of clear cut chances going to waste allowed Highgate to scrape a draw and a replay at Tythe Barn Lane after they showed their true potential only in the dying stages of extra time. A boring first half saw neither side produce the sort of football one would expect from a game of this importance. The second half saw Highgate surviving by the skin of their teeth after 47 minutes when Daly shot poorly over the bar. John Busst's men replied and took the lead after 50 minutes when Malcolm wove his way around former Highgate player Jenkins only to see his final effort blocked on the line. Coleshill full back Timms made an absolute hash of clearing the ball as Mike Gray scrambled it over the line. Taylor was left completely unmarked after 60 minutes to head a Hickman corner over the stranded Taylor from an angle. Mike Gray tried a speculative 30 yard shot which flew narrowly wide, but Highgate's attack in general lacked penetration and failed to impress. Daly almost grabbed the winner with a shot in the dying seconds of normal time - but Willie Batchelor hammered the ball off the line for one of the most crucial clearances of Highgate's season.

Return to “First Team Match Reports 1990-1991”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest