Highgate United 3 v 2 Coleshill Town - Challenge Cup Replay

First Team Match Reports 1990-1991

Moderator: Alan Beckett

Alan Beckett
Site Admin
Posts: 2212
Joined: Sat Oct 12, 2002 11:25 am

Highgate United 3 v 2 Coleshill Town - Challenge Cup Replay

Postby Alan Beckett » Sun Nov 15, 2015 12:30 pm

Saturday 23rd February 1991
Challenge Cup Quarter Final Replay
Highgate United 3 v 2 Coleshill Town
Scorers: Jim Rosborough, Frank Hickman pen.

Team: Roger Tye, Neil Hughes, Bob Timms, Mark Bennett, Wayne Jenkins, Frank Hickman, Steve Whipps, Jim Rosborough, John Taylor, Tony Malanaphy, Ian Cockerill. Subs Malcolm Teeling, Dave Harris. (Confirmed)

Highgate Through In Thriller

Highgate United reached the Semi Final of the Challenge Cup for the second year running after a nail biting replay. After only 35 seconds Bannister found Ashford with a long ball and the midfield man let fly with a 20 yarder to put his side ahead. Highgate increased their lead after 9 minutes when Ashford split the visitors defence with a through ball to Norman Batchelor. Coleshill pulled one back after 18 minutes when Rosborough lobbed the ball over the advancing Chapman and equalised after 53 minutes when Hickman scored a penalty. The best goal came after 62 minutes with Kalewski’s diving header floated inside the far post.

Highgate United got off to a cracking start in their Challenge Cup Quarter Final Replay romping to a two-goal lead in the first nine minutes. A long ball from Bannister found Ashford after 55 seconds and the midfielder blasted the ball in from 20 yards. A defensive lapse after 18 minutes allowed Rosborough to lob the ball over the advancing Chapman from a Hickman pass.
Half Time: Highgate 2 v 1 Coleshill

Coleshill's dream of a Semi-Final slot in the Challenge Cup ended after an exciting five goal battle at Highgate. (Paragraph I can't read, need to get better copy) Highgate appeared to be heading for a comfortable win when with just 10 minutes on the clock, Coleshill were two goals in arrears. The first arrived within 60 seconds from Ashford and the same player was on hand to set up Batchelor the second strike. Coleshill now looked out of it but they clawed their way back into the fray with 18 minutes gone when Rosborough elegantly lobbed the home keeper and saw the ball nestle in the corner of the net. Two-one is how it stayed at the interval but Coleshill were right back in it within ten minutes of the re-start when Frank Hickman thumped home the equaliser from a spot-kick. Coleshill now had the bit between their teeth and pushed forward for glory but tragically for the North Warwickshire team Kalewski scored a marvellous goal to give Highgate the glory - and the Semi-Final place.

Kalewski Is Killer

The skills of veteran striker Mirek Kalewski steered Highgate United into the Semi-Finals of the Challenge Cup for the second year running after a nail-biting finish and a terrific fight back by Coleshill. Highgate stormed into the lead after only 55 seconds when a long through ball out of defence from Banister found Ashford whose 20 yard shot rocketed past Tye. An inch-perfect square pass from Kalewski found Ashford after nine minutes and the midfield ace split the Coleshill defence with a through ball to Norman Batchelor whose angled drive beat the diving Tye to put Highgate two goals ahead. Slap-happy defending allowed former Highgate striker Jim Rosborough to pull one back when he lobbed the ball over Chapman from a Hickman pass after 18 minutes. Oldbury Referee Mr B Green, denied Highgate a penalty when Ashford was visibly kicked down at his ankles by a Coleshill defender and collapsed injured inside the box. Not only did the Referee wave play on but even quibbled minutes later whether the grounded Ashford needed treatment. Coleshill were themselves awarded a spot-kick after 53 minutes when Taylor was brought down and Hickman sent Chapman the wrong was from the spot. But the best goal of the game came after 62 minutes when a free-kick from Ashford found Kalewski whose diving header floated in at the far post. Andy Gray nearly increased the lead with a sizzling header after 68 minutes, but Tye brilliantly dived to his right to turn the ball around the post.

Return to “First Team Match Reports 1990-1991”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest