Walsall Wood 1 v 2 Coleshill Town

First Team Match Reports 2016-2017

Moderator: Alan Beckett

Alan Beckett
Site Admin
Posts: 2201
Joined: Sat Oct 12, 2002 11:25 am

Walsall Wood 1 v 2 Coleshill Town

Postby Alan Beckett » Tue Aug 30, 2016 4:25 pm

Saturday 27th August 2016
Midland Football League Premier
Walsall Wood 1 v 2 Coleshill Town
Wood: Drew Aiton.
Town: Luke Barlone, Reece Leek.
Attendance: 95.
Opposition Player Of The Match: Craig Deakin (Walsall) Reece Leek (Coleshill)

Wood: Curtis Pond, Luke Adams, Craig Deakin, Shawn Boothe, Richard Huckfield, Louis Harris, Drew Aiton, Harry Harris,, Joey Butlin, Nick Wright, Lewis Taylor Boyce. Subs Steven Hayles, Karl Edwards, Corey Currithers, Dan Griffiths, Leon Taylor.

Colemen: Paul Hathaway, Andre Gonzales, Josh Quaynor, Gavin Hurren, Sam Brooks, Aarron Garvey (Dean Rathbone), Reece Leek (Simeon Cobourne), Tom Weale, Shane Benjamin (Mykel Beckley), Luke Barlone, Giovanni Dainty. Subs not used Rob Evans, Modou Jara.

First half goals from Luke Barlone and Reece Leek gave Coleshill Town a 2-1 win at Walsall Wood for whom Drew Aiton hit a late consolation.

Walsall Wood's always a tough place to go, and so it proved, but early in the second half with the Colemen 2-0 up and Wood down to 10 men, it should have been a canter to the finish line. Coleshill didn't take advantage of the extra man, Walsall never gave up and if their goal, a penalty in injury time, had come earlier, Town would have been lucky to hang on to the points.
Walsall Wood started the game in determined fashion and were much the superior side. Harris volleyed over the bar, Town keeper Paul Hathaway had to tip over the bar a curling effort from Aiton and Wright shot wide. Coleshill slowly started to work their way back into the game and both Luke Barlone and Shane Benjamin had shots blocked before the Colemen took the lead on 21 minutes. Josh Quaynor was impeded at least twice down the left wing but the full back kept going to get to the bye line and pick out Barlone on the edge of the box who sweetly hit a shot into the corner of the net. The scores should have been level when Adams headed back across goal for Harris inside the six yard box but his attempt hit the bar and went over. Coleshill also hit the wood-work as Reece Leek's shot was palmed into the path of Aarron Garvey at the far post, but at a stretch, he hit the bar. On 42 minutes Coleshill increased their lead with a fine solo goal from Leek. The winger pinched the ball wide right, cut inside and left the defence standing then calmly slotted the ball under the advancing keeper.

The second half continued in the same vein with Walsall Wood dominating possession but Coleshill carving out the better chances. Another great run from Leek found Barlone who set up Benjamin who shot through a sea of legs but home keeper Pond still made a fine save to tip the ball round the post. Louis Harris had already been booked in the first half and another rash challenge saw him go in the book again. Against ten men Town should have had the game wrapped up. Manager Paul Casey sent on Dean Rathbone, the ideal player to make use of the extra space, and initially it looked like it was just a matter of time before Town increased their lead as Sam Brooks shot over the bar, Rathbone shot just wide, Barlone had a shot saved and Leek had keeper Pond at full stretch to palm away a dangerous cross. But Wood were not beaten and started to pin Coleshill back although keeper Hathaway was rarely called into action. Walsall got some reward in the dying seconds when Boothe got to the bye line and a clumsy tackle by Andre Gonzales saw the referee point to the spot. Aiton made no mistake but time had run out and Coleshill took the points.

A Match Report taken from Walsall Wood web site

http://www.pitchero.com/clubs/walsallwo ... 74213.html
A Game Of Two Halves
By Bill Shaw
Walsall Wood 1 v 2 Coleshill Town.

A strange game inasmuch as Wood probably shaded the first half but went in 2 goals down at half time, they then lost Louis Harris in the 50th minute to a 2nd yellow card. Coleshill dominated the rest of the half but it was Wood who pulled a goal back from the penalty spot from Drew Aiton on 90 minutes.
Wood put the visitors under pressure from the start, on 5 minutes Nick Wright wide left played the ball inside to drew Aiton, his rising drive to the far post bringing a full stretch save from keeper Paul Hathaway. From the right wing corner the ball was only half cleared to Wright on the edge of the box to hit a first time effort just over. On 14 minutes Harry Harris played a right wing free kick down the line to Lewis Taylor Boyce, his ball into the centre of the box found Joey Butlin who was quickly crowded out by a posse of defenders.
After weathering the initial 15 minute storm the visitors ventured forward but against the run of play they went ahead on 20 minutes, Josh Quaynor raced clear wide left, went through 2 tackles before hitting a low cross to find Luke Barlone just outside the centre of the box, his low drive just inside the left hand post giving keeper Curtis Pond no chance,. Wood were instantly put back under pressure failing to clear the ball on the left of the box, Quaynor sending a low cross shot whistling wide through a packed box.
On 23 minutes Harry Harris was strong on halfway, found Wright in the right of the box who turned inside and fired over the near angle. Wood should have equalised a minute later, Aiton came in from the left and crossed beyond the far post for Luke Adams to head back across goal to find Taylor Boyce in the centre who somehow contrived to hit a shot off the top of the bar from 6 yards out.
31 minutes gone and Reece Leek powered inside from wide right, his vicious cross shot blocked at full stretch by Richard Huckfield. 10 minutes later a defensive mistake in midfield presented Leek with the ball 40 yards out, he raced past a flat footed defence, calmly rounded the advancing Pond and rolled the ball into the net.
Karl Edwards replaced the injured Butlin at halftime as Wood attempted to get back into the
game. After 2 minutes from a left wing corner the ball was played out to Aiton whose first time piledriver was bravely blocked.
Back came Leek, racing clear wide right firing a ball across the face of the 6 yard box, that was missed by everyone, but was collected by Barlone on the left edge of the box, he returned the ball into the centre to find Shane Benjamin whose first time low drive was pushed around the left hand post by Pond at full stretch. 6 minutes later Tom Wheale went on a 50 yard right to left crossfield run, he played a neat 1-2 with Benjamin then laid the ball back into the path of Gavin Hurren to fire over the left angle. Wood now down to 10 after Louis Harris picked up a second yellow were struggling to contain the pacey Leek, he raced clear again wide right on 60 minutes, made the byeline and cut the ball back to substitute Dean Rathbone, his first time rising drive well held by Pond. 3 minutes later a neat one touch move across the face of the Wood box from right to left ended with Leek’s first time effort comfortably saved.
On 69 minutes Wood still in the game attacked down the left, Craig Deakin’s ball inside was collected at pace by Aiton, Hathaway at full stretch saving his low drive.
2 minutes later Town sub Simeon Cobourne got clear wide right, crossed in low to find Benjamin whose first time effort was blocked by Huckfield. 75 minutes gone and Wheale’s superb 60 yard crossfield ball picked out Cobourne wide left, he cut inside and fired just over. On 77 minutes a long ball forward by Pond was half cleared to Harris who instantly found Taylor Boyce in the centre of the box, he evaded 3 tackles but saw his goalbound effort deflected the wrong side of the post. With the final whistle imminent, Shawn Boothe powered his way into the left of the box and was brought down – penalty – Aiton making no mistake from the spot.
There wasn’t time for Wood to mount a grandstand finish as the final whistle went shortly afterwards.
Once again against Coleshill it was a case of what might have been it was certainly a flattering halftime score line. Wood did well to keep the score at 2 after the early second half dismissal of Louis Harris but struggled to make inroads into a well organised defence.
The penalty was too late to affect the outcome leaving Wood to rue those first half chances but that’s football, you don’t always get what you deserve.

Return to “First Team Match Reports 2016-2017”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest