Halesowen Town 3 v 0 Coleshill Town - FA Cup

First Team Match Reports 2016-2017

Moderator: Alan Beckett

Alan Beckett
Site Admin
Posts: 2230
Joined: Sat Oct 12, 2002 11:25 am

Halesowen Town 3 v 0 Coleshill Town - FA Cup

Postby Alan Beckett » Sat Sep 03, 2016 7:05 pm

Saturday 3rd September 2016
Emirates FA Cup First Qualifying Round
Halesowen Town 3 v 0 Coleshill Town
Scorers: Ethan Delaney, Kaiman Anderson 2 (one pen)
Attendance: 376.

Halesowen: Daniel Platt, Kyle Haynes, James Hancocks, Jay Denny, Richard Sho-Silva, Asa Charlton, Jordan Goddard, Daniel Bragoli, Kaiman Anderson, Ethan Delaney, Joe Colley. Subs George Cleet, Tyree Clarke, Malcolm Melvin, Aaron Griffiths, Dumitru Chiriac, Jake King.

Coleshill: Paul Hathaway, Andre Gonzales, Josh Quaynor, Gavin Hurren, Sam Brooks (Demitius Smikle), Craig Milligan, Reece Leek, Sam Adkins, Shane Benjamin Aaron Garvey (Giovanni Dainty), Luke Barlone (Simeon Cobourne). Subs not used Dominic Cotter, Modou Jarra, Josh Sherington.

Halesowen were given a stern test before progressing with their first home win of the season. Coleshill were caught cold when Ethan Delaney nodded Halesowen ahead from Kaiman Anderson's cross after just 28 seconds. The Colemen were then unfortunate to have a 14th minute strike disallowed for offside after a cross by Shane Benjamin was turned home by Luke Barlone. Both teams were reduced to ten men in the 40th minute when Coleshill's Craig Milligan and Halesowen's Delaney were dismissed for tussling on the ground off the ball. With open play in the second half, there were plenty of chances at either end before Anderson stroked home a 69th minute penalty after being held back by Sam Brooks in front of goal to make it 2-0. Anderson then smacked home a flattering third from a wide angle to finish the tie in the 79th minute.

When you play a side from two leagues above, you need certain things to go your way! You need a full strength squad, you need everyone to be at their best, you need to keep it tight in the opening minutes and most important, you need a little slice of luck! Coleshill were without Rob Evans, Tom Weale and Dean Rathbone, three players who have been very influential in the record breaking cup runs over the last few years. Coleshill played well but they have played a whole lot better than this and definitely didn't have their shooting boots on, this is the ninth game of the season and the first time Town have failed to score. Coleshill conceded after 35 seconds! And that slice of luck, well, Coleshill didn't see that much of that, at least not in the crucial moments. All that said, at times, you could not tell which team was from the higher league and had Town's goal stood, disallowed for a shirt pull, then the result may have been very different.

Halesowen have had an indifferent start to their league season so they went out and got players from Kidderminster and Gloucester to bolster their squad. A massive indication of the gap between the two sides. Coleshill welcomed Craig Milligan back from holidays, Josh Quaynor was in the side having turned down an approach by Alvechurch and Sam Brooks surprisingly played even though just with the Colemen on loan. Coleshill hadn't touched the ball when the home side went ahead on 35 seconds when a cross from Colley was headed goalward by the unchallenged Delaney which keeper Paul Hathaway couldn't get across his line quick enough to keep out of the net. It was a long way back for the visitors but they slowly started to get a foothold. Shane Benjamin had a shot blocked, Reece Leek left the full back in his wake, found Luke Barlone who set up Sam Adkins and when his miss-hit shot landed at the feet of Aaron Garvey, his shot was headed clear by Sho-Silva. Another Adkins shot was blocked and there was a shout for hand-ball and a penalty but it would have been harsh. Coleshill were now in the game and Benjamin and Milligan hunted down a defender leaving Benjamin a clear run into the box and his cross was slid into the net by Barlone at the far post. It was an eagle eyed linesman that saw the shirt pull by Milligan but Benjamin wouldn't have been caught anyway. A game changing decision that went against the Colemen. Halesowen's best player by a mile Kaiman Anderson held up play cleverly and set up Colley who shot wide. Andre Gonzales made a great run into the box but when the defender in front of him fell over, the referee gave a free kick. An embarrassing decision! The home team had a great chance to increase the lead but Hathaway brilliantly saved from Anderson, then Delaney, then Colley shot inches wide, a real let off for Coleshill. Craig Milligan and Delaney both went to ground in a hand bags scuffle near the touch line. A telling off and a yellow card each would have sufficed but amazingly both players were sent off. Garvey and Quaynor combined to set up Benjamin whose turn and shot went just inches past the post.

Anderson shot early in the second half was deflected for a corner, then his crossed just evaded Bragoli. Quaynor shot from distance, Hathaway caught a Goddard flick just under the bar and a Gonzales cross was tipped away for a corner by home keeper Platt. Reece Leek had the full back in his pocket and had a shot deflected for a corner as Coleshill were having their best spell but couldn't find the breakthrough. Goddard shot straight at Hathaway then the tormented Hancocks went into the book as he realised the only way to stop Leek was to pull his shirt. But Coleshill's up hill task suddenly became a mountain when the home side were awarded a penalty. Haynes crossed into the box and Anderson's shirt was pulled but the striker still got his shot off and Hathaway saved. The referee however pointed to the spot and Anderson calmly stroked the ball into the net. Anderson raced clear next but Hathaway stood up tall and saved the strikers effort then Anderson was back again minutes later to run clear of Gonzales and shoot under Hathaway to put the result beyond Coleshill. The Colemen kept going. Leek forced a corner, Quaynor shot from 35 yards, Gavin Hurren shot just wide, Leek ran the length of the pitch to find substitute Demitrius Smikle who had his goalbound shot saved but it just wasn't to be Coleshill's day. The scoreline suggest an easy win for the home side but that doesn't tell the story and Coleshill can be proud that they pushed the Yetz all the way.


It was an exciting encounter for the 376 who were on hand at The Grove, with a goal inside the first minute from Ethan Delaney and a Kaiman Anderson brace sealing the victory for the Yeltz.

Delaney was also sent off for an off-the-ball altercation with Coleshill midfielder Craig Milligan.

The home side took just 29 seconds to make their mark. Danny Bragoli swung in a cross from the left which Delaney met, heading the ball past Coleshill goalkeeper Paul Hathaway, who was wrong-footed.

After Shane Benjamin had a shot blocked for the visitors, who were not afraid to get the ball down and play against the side two divisions above them, goalscorer Delaney was brought down in the box but referee Richie Watkins let play carry on.

There was a frenetic pace to the game in the opening exchanges and the visitors could have drawn level - Aaron Garvey hit the bar inside the 7th minute after a scramble in the box.

Coleshill had a goal disallowed after 14 minutes. Benjamin found space in the 18-yard box, fired the ball across the face of goal and Luke Barlone tapped it in but pulled the shirt of Yeltz defender Richard Sho-Silva.

The home side then had a few great chances to double their advantage just after the half-hour mark.

Anderson, who is on loan from Shrewsbury Town, and Jordan Goddard had efforts saved before Joe Colley fired past the far post.

On the stroke of half-time, both sides were down to 10 men. Delaney, who put Halesowen ahead, appeared to be pulled down to the ground away from the ball by Milligan.

And after consulting with one of his assistants, referee Watkins bizarrely dismissed both players.

Colley was then booked just prior to the interval for pulling the shirt of Andre Gonzales and subsequently replaced at half-time by Malcolm Melvin.

The away side made two substitutions - Simeon Cobourne replacing Garvey, and Giovanni Dainty coming on for Barlone - before Halesowen doubled their advantage.

They were awarded a penalty after Anderson was pulled back by Gavin Hurren in the 18-yard box.

Hurren was booked and Anderson made no mistake from the penalty spot, slotting the ball past Hathaway.

The striker then got his second, and the Yeltz's third of the day, just minutes after, breezing past Hurren and firing the ball into the roof of the net.

Halesowen skipper Jay Denny was booked for yet another shirt pull, with George Cleet and Kyle Morrison being introduced as well, before the final whistle.

John Hill's men are now waiting to find out who they will face in the second qualifying round, with the draw taking place on Monday morning.

Return to “First Team Match Reports 2016-2017”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest