Coleshill Town 2 v 3 Highgate United - Birmingham Senior Cup

First Team Match Reports 2016-2017

Moderator: Alan Beckett

Alan Beckett
Site Admin
Posts: 2553
Joined: Sat Oct 12, 2002 11:25 am

Coleshill Town 2 v 3 Highgate United - Birmingham Senior Cup

Postby Alan Beckett » Sun Oct 30, 2016 12:19 pm

Tuesday 25th October 2016
Birmingham Senior Cup 1st Round
Coleshill Town 2 v 3 Highgate United
Town: Andre Gonzales, Luke Shorthouse.
Gate: James Loney, Lei Brown, Marco Adaggio.
Attendance: 74.
Opposition Player Of The Match: Andre Gonzales (Coleshill) Scott Rickards (Highgate)
Supporters Club Man Of The Match, Sponsored by Greensleeves: Tom Weale.

Colemen: Paul Hathaway, Andre Gonzales, Taylor Byrne, Craig Milligan, Rob Evans, Dale Taylor, Corey Currithers, Demitrius Smikle, Luke Shorthouse, Josh Sherrington, Tom Weale. Subs used Jason Albini, Rehmane Gordon, Munotida Kuwana. Subs not used Dominic Cotter, Matt Hill.

Highgate: Brendon Bunn, Scott Rickards, Nathan Pulisciano, James Loney, Scott Turner, Arron Brown, Connor Mooney, Josh Hawker, Marco Adaggio, McCauley Manning, Lei Brown. Subs: Dale Edwards, Karl King, James Cosgrave, Bradley Hayward, Joe Cole.

By Craig Hamilton

Coleshill come up against Highgate in the Birmingham Senior Cup just 10 days after beating them in the league but it was Highgate that had the first chance as Hawker ran clear, past to Adaggio inside the box but Hathaway made a great save. Highgate then took the lead on 6 minutes as a corner was headed back across goal for a simple header by Loney to score. Coleshill's first chance saw a ball played back to Craig Milligan but his shot was blocked for a corner. Then another corner saw Dale Taylor just miss the ball at the far post. Coleshill had several more chances but it was Highgate that played the better football and a long ball over the Coleshill defence saw L. Brown free to lob the ball over the advancing Hathaway. 0-2 after only 16 minutes. Coleshill then go close as a 25 yard free kick by Tom Weale is saved in the top corner. Then a great run from Josh Sherrington down the left saw him cut inside the Highgate defence but his shot hit the post and rebound to safety. So the half finished with Highgate 2-0 up.

The second half started in blistering fashion for Coleshill as Josh Sherrington held the ball up and played it to Andre Gonzales who ran 30 yards through the Highgate defence and rifled an unstoppable shot into the corner of the net for 1-2 on 48 minutes. Then on 57 minutes Andre Gonzales was into the action again as a run down the right produced a cross into the six yard box for Luke Shorthouse to get a touch before the defender for his first goal for Coleshill. 2-2 and game on. Coleshill started to dominate in a much better second half display and a great cross from Taylor Byrne found Tom Weale but he shot wide. Highgate were not out of the game as both sides had chances to score and it was end to end stuff with either side capable of winning the game but a draw at 90 minutes seemed the likely outcome. That is until a good right wing cross by Highgate on 83 minutes was not cleared by the Coleshill defence and Adaggio was on the spot to tap in at the far post 2-3 . As the game entered stoppage time Highgate had two more chances to seal the game but a well contested cup match ended 3-2 in favour of the visitors.

A match report taken from Highgate web site
By Neville Sawyer

James Loney, Lei Brown and Marco Adaggio score the goals which see Gate victorious in their third different cup competition in the space of seven days.

Highgate progressed into the second round of the Birmingham Senior Cup, against opponents as yet unknown, James Loney and Lei Brown giving the visitors a two goal half time cushion quickly pulled back when Coleshill scored twice in the space of ten second half minutes, Marco Adaggio popping up with a late deserved winner. Ashley Pulisciano's side are beginning to make a habit of winning cup ties, this being their third in different competitions over the space of seven days but need to carry that form into forthcoming league fixtures to add to a disappointing current points tally which sees them in a precarious eighteenth spot. Coleshill had come out on top in a league encounter just two weeks ago and there were changes to Gate's starting line up, Isaac Jagroop rested, Dale Taylor making a move in the opposite direction to Pack Meadow and James Loney alongside Scott Turner in central defence. New signing from Bromsgrove Sporting Dale Edwards began on the bench but came on for virtually the whole of the second half with a more than promising debut. Turner and Loney made their presence felt early on, as they did for the rest of the game, with strong defensive headers, Josh Hawker was back to block Luke Shorthouse's drive and when there were a couple of home attempts on Brendon Bunn's goal the keeper was able to watch them fly harmlessly wide. Town had started in a positive fashion but it was Connor Mooney and Hawker who combined for Lei Brown to bring a superb save out of Paul Hathaway which unfortunately for the keeper was to lead to the sixth minute breakthrough, the resulting corner headed back across goal for the lurking Loney to head in under the cross bar. McCauley Manning latched on to Scott Rickards' ball out of defence a moment of trickery close to setting Adaggio up for a chance. The boot was now on the other foot with the visitors getting on top, although Bunn twice saw action firstly snatching the ball off Tom Weale's toes then holding on to Andre Gonzales's cross under Shorthouse's challenge. Aaron Brown, suspended for the next two matches, started the move which led to the second goal on the quarter hour mark, slipping his pass through for Manning to flick his own pass over the home defence allowing Lei Brown to beat the stranded Hathaway with the deftest of lobs. The second goal had been the reward for some patient build up play for a side now growing in confidence. Bunn watched a Weale free kick all the way to concede a corner, Nathan Pulisciano defending well to calmly head Dominic Smikle's attempted through ball back to his keeper. Turner was presented with an opportunity at the other end but with his feet in a tangle was unable to take advantage of Rickards' perfectly delivered free kick. By the half hour mark Gate were dictating the pace of the game, looking solid and uncompromising at the back and playing some excellent possession football. When Coleshill did pose any threat there was Hawker constantly breaking up play in the middle of the park. There was a late let off when Bunn touched Josh Sherrington's powerful shot on to the woodwork, but Gate maintained their clean sheet knowing that they were likely to face a far more dynamic Coleshill after the break.

H-T: Coleshill Town 0 v 2 Highgate United

Immediately into the half Edwards replaced Pulisciano with Mooney dropping into the left back berth, such a moment of distraction leading to Gonzales starting a long run from within his own half ghosting past half a dozen lime shirts before finding himself face to face with Bunn and an immaculate finish. An outstanding goal but one which asked questions of a Highgate side with a lead now cut in half. Gate responded with Manning firing high from twenty five yards and Edwards winning a corner from which Rickards' dead ball kick' sailed just inches beyond the far post. But just when the visitors appeared to have settled back into a rhythm so speedy Gonzales struck again racing down the right touchline before directing a low 58th minute cross into the path of Shorthouse who couldn't fail to score from half a yard out. Shorthouse was not far off target from the edge of the box and it was the hosts with their heads up as they anticipated a Highgate capitulation. But once again Gate dug in deep, Manning riding a couple of tackles before firing narrowly high and when Adaggio was pushed just outside the box Rickards' free kick was deflected behind. Despite being devoid of chances play continued end to end and with Gate looking the better of the two sides so they struck for a third time just seven minutes from the end. Manning's cross to the far post appeared to have caught under Lei Brown's feet only for the prostrate number 11 to flick the ball up for Adaggio to stretch and toe poke past Hathaway. The remainder belonged to the visitors, Edwards delivering a cross headed narrowly wide by Adaggio, Hathaway held on to Lei Brown's attempted lob, Edwards near with a volley and Hawker curling the last effort of the game past the far upright, Gate deserving their place in the next round following a result which reflected the overall balance of play

Return to “First Team Match Reports 2016-2017”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest