Coventry United 1 v 3 Coleshill Town

First Team Match Reports 2016-2017

Moderator: Alan Beckett

Alan Beckett
Site Admin
Posts: 2553
Joined: Sat Oct 12, 2002 11:25 am

Coventry United 1 v 3 Coleshill Town

Postby Alan Beckett » Tue Jan 03, 2017 3:32 pm

Monday 2nd January 2017
Midland Football League Premier
Coventry United 1 v 3 Coleshill Town
United: Ben Mackey.
Town: Jordan Nadat, Corey Currithers, Mykel Beckley.
Opposition Player Of The Match: Pierre Maudine (Coventry)

United: Richard Morris, Pierre Maudine, Ben Wallace, Chris Cox, Robert Prinzel, Jamie Sollman, Kevin Thornton, Thomas Glasscoe, Kai Williams, Ben Mackey, Courtney Cameron. Subs Lewis Isor, Jean Dakaouri, Muzinandidle Nouma, Joe Conner.

Town: Paul Hathaway, Andre Gonzales, Joshua Quaynor, Thomas Weale, Thomas Fishwick, Robert Evans, Corey Currithers (Curvin Ellis), Gio Dianty, Jordan Nadat, Dean Rathbone (Dale Taylor), Mykel Beckley (Matt Gasper). Subs not used Tom Cullen, Kaine Williams.

By Colin Wheatley

Conditions : A bright cold winter day with full sun and no clouds or wind. The pitch was frozen at the edges and provided a rough surface that affected the bounce for both teams. The referee passed the pitch playable at 11am and a good crowd of approx 150 attended.

Coleshill were straight into action and in the second minute Jordan Nadat was put through by Thomas Weale. Nadat beat the keeper one on one but mistimed his shot. The ball moved agonisingly slowly towards the open goal but was cleared off the line by Chris Cox. There followed a long period of domination by the away side with Cov Utd hardly getting any useful possession in the Coleshill half. Andre Gonzales put the ball though to Mykel Beckley (4) who just failed to connect. Andre Gonzales than put Dean Rathbone through (7) on the left but his shot went wide of the LH post. Some fine interplay between Gio Dainty , Mykel Beckley and Josh Quaynor forced a corner (12) which was easily cleared. On the right hand side a run by Jordan Nadat after good work by Tom Weale brought another corner (14) which fell to Rob Evans but his shot from 25 metres went just over the bar. On 16 minutes Gio Dainty’s through ball just failed to find Jordan Nadat and on 17 minutes Mykel Beckley forced yet another corner after good work by Gonzales and Dainty. During this very one sided first quarter the home side had just a couple of attacks down each wing, the best by Ben Wallace on 7 minutes but his cross didn’t connect with any attacking player and went harmlessly wide.

The pressure on the United defence continued and a shot in the penalty area by Nadat was blocked by some last ditch defending on 19 minutes. A combination by Gonzales and Currithers put Dainty through who found Currithers with a fine pass but the wingers shot went wide. The deadlock was broken on 33 minutes after two Coleshill corners and a free kick in quick succession came to nothing but led to a free kick won on 20 yards by Tom Weale. Weale’s free kick was cleared to the side line and his long throw was headed into the path of Jordan Nadat by a defender. The forward made no mistake as he stroked the ball passed the keeper for Colehill’s well deserved lead. Further domination by the away side saw a fine linkup between Dainty, Nadat and Beckley who could have shot but unselfishly passed the ball to Currithers who made no mistake with his shot on 38 minutes to lead 2-0. United fought back immediately and on 40 and 41 minutes saw chances by Mackay and then Williams well defended by the Town. Just before the break Currithers took a good pass from Nadat and won a corner after beating the full back . The half closed with a home side attack by Thornton but his shot went wide. The travelling support agreed they hadn’t seen such a one sided half for some time, should have been four-nil up and the home support were using phrases like “ best team we’ve seen here this season”

The second half was a vastly different affair as the home side put in a lot more effort and Coleshill conceded the mid-field. Good defending from Tom Fishwick to head away a well placed corner (47) and a good block by Josh Quaynor (48) kept Coventry at bay, and on 49 minutes a fine run and cross by Maudine was plucked from the air by Paul Hathaway. Despite the pressure the Coleman still tried to force the pace and a Currithers through ball was just scooped up by the keeper in front of Nadat’s fine run. After two further fruitless attacks by Coventry, the game was more or less sown up (54) after some fine interplay between Dainty and Nadat, the hard working forward’s pass found Beckley and his shot easily beat the keeper. Once again United tried to respond and it took a well timed header by Weale to deny Williams, but the home side were not to be denied. On 60 minutes four Coventry players combined skilfully to put Mackey within 14 yards and his excellent shot flew in past a blameless Hathaway for a 1-3 scoreline.

The last half hour was closely contested with both defences preventing any realistic scoring chances. Nadat was denied from 5 yards by a Prinzel block on 65 minutes. The United goalkeeper was substituted by Conner on 82 but he was rarely tested. The final fifteen minutes required hard work by the away side who needed to defend a series of corners (on 83, 85 and 86) and a fine cross by Maudine drew a goal saving defensive header from Fishwick on 87 minutes. A fine win for Coleshill Town who take some good form and a settled side ( despite Beckley and Currithers being cup-tied) to the next round of the FA Vase against Gorleston on Saturday.

Return to “First Team Match Reports 2016-2017”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest