Coleshill Town 3 v 2 Highgate United

First Team Match Reports 2017-2018

Moderator: Alan Beckett

Alan Beckett
Site Admin
Posts: 2041
Joined: Sat Oct 12, 2002 11:25 am

Coleshill Town 3 v 2 Highgate United

Postby Alan Beckett » Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:27 pm

Monday 25th September 2017
Midland Football League Premier
Coleshill Town 3 v 2 Highgate United
Town: Dean Rathbone 2 (1 pen), Ryan Edmunds.
United: Conner Mooney, Marco Addagio.
Attendance: 160.
Opposition Player Of The Match: Ryan Edmunds (Coleshill) Aaron Brown (Gate).
Supporters Club Man Of The Match, Sponsored By Greensleeves: Jorna Moulton.

Coleman: Paul Hathaway (c), Joe Pegg, Jorna Moulton, Rob Evans, Luke Edwards, Drew Aiton, Joe Halsall, Ryan Edmunds, Dean Rathbone (Liam Molesworth), Reece Leek, Jordan Nadat (Matt Gardner). Subs not used James Medford, Jesse Race, Sam Ford.

Highgate Utd :- Bradley Catlow, Trevor Edwards, Nathan Pulisciano, Richard Bryan, Scott Turner, Aaron Brown (c) , Josh Hawker, James Wilcox, Marco Addagio, Conner Mooney, Lei Brown. Subs Dwayne Courtney, George Curry, Corry Currithers, Scott Rickards, Karl King.

By Colin Wheatley

Conditions :- Warm humid & misty autumn evening, pitch damp, artificial surface.

Early exchanges , mostly in mid –field were even but gradually Highgate began to dominate as they started to string passes together and hustle the Colemen off the ball. After good exchanges between Hawker & Wilcox a cross from the latter was well met by captain Aaron Brown whose shot fell just wide. On 13 minutes the away side again worked the ball into the penalty area and a point-blank shot from Mooney drew an excellent save from Hathaway. For the next 10 minutes it was all Highgate who seemed to take advantage of their eight day break. In contrast the home side looked as if they had played a tough away game two days ago, which , of course, they had. Efforts by Mooney ( hit over the bar) and Hawker (shot wide) left the scores even. At the other end an attack by Coleshill on 17 minutes produced the evenings opening goal against the run of play. Work by Nadat and Leek found Edmunds unmarked and his first time volley off the outside of his right foot flew into the bottom right hand corner of Catlow’s net.
Coleshill 1 Highgate 0

The goal woke the home side up at last and the Colemen won a corner after work by Rathbone and Leek but no advantage was gained. Some strong running by Nadat got Edmunds into space again but his effort went wide off a defender for another corner, again well cleared by Highgate. Defensively Evans and Moulton looked sharp for Coleshill and these two players were heavily involved in preserving the lead. A powerful run on 21 minutes by Lei Brown was foiled by a strong tackle from Evans, who then popped up to deny Addagio by heading a cross back to keeper Hathaway. At the other end a run down the right wing gave Leek the winger the opportunity to cross but with no runners on the end the ball went harmlessly across the goal mouth. All of a sudden Rathbone had the ball 25 yards out to the left corner of the penalty area. His shot flew the distance straight into the top right hand corner giving keeper Catlow no chance.

Coleshill 2 Highgate 0

Minutes later Leek had space to shoot, the keeper making a good save to parry the ball straight to Nadat but his follow up shot was again saved by Catlow. A counter attack followed that needed Hathaway at his best to deny Lei Brown and the subsequent corner was headed away by Rathbone on 30 minutes. Two Highgate corners followed but both were headed clear by Evans, and a strong counter by the away side saw a shot by Addagio blocked by Hassall. On 35 minutes Leek made a good run down the left wing, his shot was deflected out for a corner. The ball was cleared to Hawker but Hassall took the ball off him and he dribbled the ball into the centre of the penalty area only to be fouled by Bryan, penalty to Coleshill. Up stepped the ever confident Rathbone who stroked the spot kick hard into the right hand corner to give the home side a three goal advantage. Two more significant chances then fell Coleshill’s way as first , strong interplay between Aiton, Pegg and Rathbone got Leek into space but his shot went wide of the right hand post. Then on the stroke of half time Leek collected the ball 30 yards out, beat six Highgate defenders up the centre channel, rounded the keeper but his shot drifted agonisingly wide of the left hand post - goal kick instead of goal of the season.

Half time Coleshill 3 Highgate 0

A modern football media cliché is “ a game of two halves”. For most of the second half the away side piled on the pressure, played most of the football and created most of the chances as the home side started to tire. On 45 minutes a Highgate substitute, on the bench, was booked, cause unknown. Catlow made a save from an Edmunds shot and Turner was denied a certain goal by an excellent tackle from Coleshill Man of the Match Moulton. Evans made another goal saving tackle on Lei Brown but the home side’s luck ran out as Mooney scored after 57 minutes, Lei Brown’s shot saved by Hathaway but Mooney was first there and was not to be denied.

Coleshill 3 Highgate 1

Shouts from the home support of “get out of the dressing room” were in vain as Highgate continued to put on pressure, and Coleshill seemed unable to get any forward momentum. Highgate were rewarded for their efforts as Addagio collected a rebound on the penalty spot and lobbed keeper Hathaway to make the score
Coleshill 3 Highgate 2

Manager Cameron Stuart was then forced to make two substitutions due to injuries. Molesworth replaced Rathbone and Gardner replaced Nadat after 70 minutes.For Highgate, Curry came on for Addagio on 72 minutes. Aaron Brown was booked for dissent. Then Jorna Moulton and Trevor Edwards both went for the ball resulting in an injury to Edwards (substituted for Courtney), but the Coleshill defender was judged at fault and was yellow carded on 75 minutes. The resulting free kick was cleared but almost straight away Evans conceded a free kick 20 yards out for a mistimed tackle on Hawker and was booked on 78 minutes. The last 12 minutes was frantic, end to end stuff as the away side fought for an equaliser and a very tired looking Coleshill resorted to kicking long to relieve the pressure. Wilcock’s header was saved by keeper Hathaway and at the other end shots by Edmunds and Leek were both saved by Catlow. Moulton attempted to put Leek through but his pass was too strong, and a free kick by Catlow was well taken in the air by Hathaway.

A very relieved and tired team of Colemen were as pleased as the home crowd to hear the final whistle.
Final Score Coleshill 3 Highgate 2

A dramatic and exciting encounter with five good goals and some keen encounters all over the pitch. Highgate dominated the second half but were just not accurate enough to deliver the killer blow and get the equaliser. Coleshill retain top spot and look forward to a five day break before the next game, at home to Heanor Town.

Return to “First Team Match Reports 2017-2018”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest