Coleshill Town 2 v 1 Sutton Coldfield Town - Birmingham Senior Cup

First Team Match Reports 2017-2018

Moderator: Alan Beckett

Alan Beckett
Site Admin
Posts: 2224
Joined: Sat Oct 12, 2002 11:25 am

Coleshill Town 2 v 1 Sutton Coldfield Town - Birmingham Senior Cup

Postby Alan Beckett » Wed Oct 25, 2017 4:45 pm

Monday 23rd October 2017
Birmingham Senior Cup First Round
Coleshill Town 2 v 1 Sutton Coldfield Town
Coleshill: Dean Rathbone, Gio Dainty.
Sutton: L. Smith.
Attendance: 87.
Supporters Club Man Of The Match, Sponsored by Greensleeves: Joint Award, Jordan Nadat and Gio Dainty.

Coleshill: Paul Hathaway, Jorna Moulton, Jesse Race (Ryan Edmunds), Rob Evans, Joe Cole, Danny Tymon, Matt Gardner (Ryan Merideth), Joe Halsall, Jordan Nadat, Dean Rathbone, Gio Dainty. Subs not used Luke Edwards, Sam Ford, James Medford.

Sutton: Draper, Lyttle, Probert,Smith (c), Beresford, Barnes, Smikle, Lovett, Zazi, Aleksandrov, Hutchinson, SUBS :- Morris, Taylor, Webb, Birch, Kelly.

By Colin Wheatley


Conditions :- Mild autumn evening with showers. Pitch surface very good (3G).
Crowd 88 KO 7.45pm BST

A tense start by both teams. An early through ball from Rathbone allowed Nadat to turn and shoot into Draper’s net but his effort went unrewarded as the linesman ruled him off side. At the other end a dangerous cross by Barnes was cleared over the bar by Halsall and forced a good save from Hathaway from the resulting corner.

Rathbone began to find space in midfield and made a strong run up the middle but was brought down 22 yards out. Nadat took the kick, got the ball over the wall but Draper scooped up the ball with ease. Gardner and Nadat then combined well after 12 minutes but Nadat’s shot was just wide of the Royal’s left hand post. The home side continued to dominate possession and on thirteen minutes a good run down the right wing by Nadat after an accurate pass by Moulton was countered by Beresford who forced the striker wide. His shot from the narrow angle was saved by Draper. Almost immediately Sutton countered. A timely header on the penalty spot by Moulton denied Lovett and a follow up header by Smikle was headed away by Dainty for a corner, taken in the air by Hathaway.

The ever sharp Evans made one of his many forays forward but his pass was too long for Gardner. On 20 minutes a clearing Evans header on the centre circle found Nadat in space but his shot went wide of the left hand post, the defender then made a goal saving tackle on the six yard line to deny Hutchinson. The Colemen then piled on the pressure with Gardner heading on a pass by Halsall to Nadat whose low shot drew a superb save from the keeper; and a cross by Rathbone fell just short of Gardner.

All the possession by the home team soon came to nothing as hard work by Smikle and Lovett forced Evans to bring down Zazi which gave Lyttle a free kick 25 yards out. The full back’s effort hit the wall and went out for a corner. The accurate corner kick by Hutchinson was headed in unopposed by Royals captain Smith to give the away side a 1-0 lead against the run of play, despite Hathaway getting a hand to it.

Coleshill 0 Sutton Coldfield Town 1

On 32 minutes Smith was substituted for Taylor. Some fine interplay between the (ever present) Halsall, Gardner and Nadat was intercepted by Beresford before Nadat could get his shot away. On 37 minutes the hard working Nadat forced another save by Draper, but the rest of the half was all Sutton. Hutchinson’s left wing runs needed Moulton and Dainty at their best, Lyttle’s shot went over the bar and a low curvey shot by Probert drew a fine save from Hathaway. The Colemen should have equalised just before half time when a well placed Rathbone free kick was well followed up by Moulton but he was unable to make contact with his head from six yards and the ball went out for a goal kick.

Half time Coleshill Town 0 , Sutton Coldfield Town 1

Five minutes after the break Coleshill worked the ball well into the away side’s penalty area and Dainty’s cross was well met by Gardner but his strike fell foul of the linesman who ruled the goal off side. Nadat received one of many through balls after 53 minutes from a Gardner header but his left foot shot went over the bar. At the other end a back pass from Race was a little tentative but Hathaway bravely got to the feet of the Sutton centre forward Zazi and prevented the shot. Over the next ten minutes the Colemen used up their dominant possession by firing long balls to Nadat but lacked the accuracy necessary for the striker to take advantage.

On 50 minutes Dainty and Rathbone combined to get Nadat in space for a shot but Draper made an excellent save, corner for the home side. Halsall then headed Rathbone’s corner over the bar with pressure from Probert. Aleksandrov was substituted by Morris and a Tymon pass found Nadat whose shot was blocked by Smikle, the ball spinning over the line at the Farm end for a corner. Rathbone sent in a well directed corner that took the Sutton defence by surprise and Beresford could only turn the ball back into the path of Rathbone. The former Sutton midfielder’s well controlled shot nestled into the away side’s bottom left hand corner of the net giving Draper no chance.


Manager Stuart then decided to go for the win and substituted full back Race on 55 minutes for midfielder Edmunds. Edmunds got into the action immediately, his right wing run taking him into shooting range after beating full back Beresford near the corner flag but his shot went just over the bar. At the Town end, Evans accidentally fouled Lovett and Tayor lined up his free kick on the left hand corner of the Coleshill penalty area. Smikle got to the kick first but his free header just went wide of Hathaway’s right hand post. Sutton maintained the attack and a combination by Smikle and Zazi forced Cole to clear away for a corner, the resulting shot by Smikle punched clear by Hathaway. The excellent Smikle was then substituted by Webb, who got clear of Moulton (injured in the tackle) on 80 minutes and sent a low pass across the Coleshill six yard line that no Sutton player could get to. Evans continued to get forward and with the help of Edmunds earned a free kick taken by Rathbone. Yet another accurate dead ball kick by Rathbone was met by Evans who headed the ball across the goal to Dainty who made no mistake from 6 yards out.


The home side then turned it up a gear and made the away side work hard to regain possession. Nadat forced yet another save from Draper, and Meredith replaced Gardner on 90 minutes. In the seven minutes of injury time Rathbone received the only yellow card of the game for a shove on Taylor . The away side’s last meaningful attack, a great shot by Zazi, drew a world class save from Hathaway and no advantage was gained from the resulting corner. Runs by Edmunds and some energetic chasing down by substitute Meredith wound down the clock and Coleshill ended a disappointing few weeks by taking a well deserved win in an entertaining match.

Final Score Coleshill Town 2 Sutton Coldfield 1
Men of the match (Coleshill) Nadat and Dainty.
Man of the match (Sutton) Hutchinson

Return to “First Team Match Reports 2017-2018”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest