Coleshill Town 2 v 2 Sporting Khalsa - League Cup

First Team Match Reports 2017-2018

Moderator: Alan Beckett

Alan Beckett
Site Admin
Posts: 2212
Joined: Sat Oct 12, 2002 11:25 am

Coleshill Town 2 v 2 Sporting Khalsa - League Cup

Postby Alan Beckett » Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:59 pm

Tuesday 2nd January 2018
Midland Football League Cup 3rd Round
Coleshill Town 2 v 2 Sporty Khalsa
4-3 on penalties
Town: Ryan Edmunds, Matt Gardner.
Penalties: Matt Gardner, Joe Cole, Joe Smith, Joel Grandison.
Sporting: David Meese, Mykel Beckley.
Penalties: Craig Bannister, David Meese, Mark Branch.
Attendance: 58.
Opposition Player Of The Match: Ryan Edmunds (Coleshill) Mykel Beckley (Sporting)
Supporters Club Man Of The Match, Sponsored by Greensleeves: Dominic Cotter.

Coleshill: Dominic Cotter, James Medford (Reiss Jones), Joe Cole, Jorna Moulton, Luke Edwards, Gio Dainty, Ryan Edmunds, Joe Smith, Sam Ford (Matt Gardner), Joel Grandison, Liam Molesworth (Kyle Ambris). Subs not used Chris Gibson GK, Shakeer Parry.

Sporting: Sam Arnold, Alex McBourne, Mark Branch, Leon Miles, Tesfa Robinson, David Meese, Mensah Kinch, Michael Perks, Nathan Waite, Mykel Beckley, Alex Woodhouse. Subs Marvin Nisbett, Mathew Martin, Shawn Boothe, Craig Bannister, Jayden McAlla.

A hastily arranged game so that Paul Hathaway and Reece Leek could get a one match suspension out of the way before the FA Vase on Saturday. A scratch team with Joel Grandison making his debut, Matt Gardner doing a favour and six under 21's on the team sheet.

Fair play to Sporting Khalsa, they didn't have to re-arrange the game but it was an opportunity for them to progress in the cup and fielded a not far off full strength side.

Coleshill took the lead on 26 minutes when a shot from 25 yards by Ryan Edmunds somehow slipped through the grasp of keeper Arnold. Khalsa's David Meese equalised on 32 minutes when he rose unchallenged at a corner and headed powerfully into the net. From being behind, Sporting took just nine minutes to go in front. When a cross came in from the right Luke Edwards was adjudged to have handled the ball, a harsh decision, and ex Town favourite Mykel Beckley scored from the spot.

If the first half had been fairly even, the second half was pretty much one way traffic as Sporting spurned chance after chance, mainly headers with Tesfa Robinson the closest but hitting the bar. With the game drawing to a close Coleshill somehow lifted their game and had a couple of chances. On 86 minutes Ryan Edmunds tried his luck from just outside the box and when Arnold parried the effort Matt Gardner was on hand to tap into an empty net. Coleshill nearly won it at the death when Joel Grandison chested the ball down, turned and shot in the same movement and the ball rocketed into the net. Unfortunately the linesman stood with his flag up and the goal was disallowed.

No extra time in this competition and straight to penalties. Mykel Beckley blazed the first one over the bar. Matt Gardner, Joe Cole, Joe Smith and Joel Grandison all scored from their spot kicks and then Dominic Cotter saved from Robinson to send Coleshill through to the Quarter Final with a 4-3 win.

Return to “First Team Match Reports 2017-2018”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests