Newcastle Benfield 1 v 1 Coleshill Town - FA Vase

First Team Match Reports 2017-2018

Moderator: Alan Beckett

Alan Beckett
Site Admin
Posts: 2212
Joined: Sat Oct 12, 2002 11:25 am

Newcastle Benfield 1 v 1 Coleshill Town - FA Vase

Postby Alan Beckett » Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:41 pm

Saturday 6th January 2017
Buildbase FA Vase 4th Round
Newcastle Benfield 1 v 1 Coleshill Town - After Extra Time
Benfield: Scott McCarthy.
Town: Joel Grandison.
Attendance: 203.

Newcastle: Andrew Grainger, Mark Turnbull, Dylan McEvoy, Richard Slaughter, Laguan Esdaille, Mark Dummett, Scott McCartney, Alex Nisbett, Paul Brayson, Jake Orrell, Joe Halles. Subs Kieran Wrightson, Ryu Williamson, Luke Carr, Marc Dummett, Dan Nimmons.

Coleshill: Paul Hathaway, Jorna Moulton, Joe Cole, Rob Evans, Luke Edwards, Nathaniel Dixon (Joel Grandison), Ryan Edmunds (James Medford), Gio Dainty, Liam Molesworth, Reece Leek, Anton Astley (Tom Fishwick). Sub not used Dominic Cotter GK.

Fluke Strike Means Replay Is Required

The ten men of Coleshill Town held on for a replay against Newcastle Benfield after the pair could not be separated after 120 minutes of action. Benfield's Scott McCarthy's cross-shot cancelled out Joel Grandison's header after Paul Brayson had missed a first half spot-kick and Joe Cole was shown red in the 90th minute. It was Northern League Benfield who began the game on top with McCarthy brought down inside the box. Veteran striker Brayson fired his 15th minute spot-kick wide. Liam Molesworth looked to have put the Colemen into the lead in the 36th minute but the offside flag was raised. The deadlock was finally broken in the 80th minute when Grandison headed home the opener for the visitors. Benfield responded almost immediately, however, with McCarthy's cross flying into the far corner. The Coles were then reduced to 10 men ahead of extra-time after Cole picked up a straight red for a late challenge. In extra time the best chance fell to Brayson but he could only chip wide.
STAR MAN: Scott McCarthy.

A very, very tough game on a strength sapping pitch, Coleshill will have to do it all again next week. Should the game have gone ahead? Well neither side wanted it to be postponed for a week or more if there was no let-up in the weather and there was no standing water on the pitch, so Yes it was the right decision to go ahead but by the end of 120 minutes it was like a battle field and both sides were dead on their feet!

With injuries and suspensions the Town team was a bit experimental. Nathaniel Dixon made his debut in midfield, Anton Astley came in at left back, his first game in two months, Joel Grandison only made his debut on Tuesday but showed enough to take a place on the bench along side Under 21 prospect James Medford.

Both sides made a decent start on a bitterly cold day with Town keeper and captain Paul Hathaway off his line smartish twice to clear through balls, Esdaille having a back header cleared off the line from a corner and Town's Liam Molesworth only just beaten to a Reece Leek flick on by home keeper Grainger. Benfield had the perfect opportunity to take the lead on 11 minutes when Anton Astley tackled McCarthy in the box and the referee pointed to the spot. You would normally put your money on ex-pro Paul Brayson to hit the target but the in-form striker hit the outside of the post, a massive let-off for Coleshill. Luke Edwards volleyed onto the roof of the net from a Ryan Edmunds corner before Nisbett shot over the bar from a great position. Rob Evans made strides from centre back ending up with a shot from 20 yards that wasn't too far away then from a quick break Reece Leek found Ryan Edmunds who hit a bending shot from just outside the box that hit the outside of the post. Coleshill were coming more into the game and a shot from Liam Molesworth cannoned off the keepers chest before the same player had the ball in the net. On 33 minutes Reece Leek stormed down the right side and his low cross was met by Liam Molesworth at the far post for a tap-in but the linesman's flag was raised. Anton Astley forced a free kick just outside the box. Ryan Edmunds' effort hit the wall but came out to Gio Dainty who went for goal only to see Grainger palm his effort away at full stretch. Gio Dainty then blocked an Orrell shot and Ryan Edmunds' bending shot just went the wrong side of the post.
A very entertaining, end to end first half ended goalless.

Benfield started on the up and pinned Coleshill back in their own half. Paul Hathaway saved from Orrell, the follow up was blocked and then headed wide. Jorna Moulton won the ball in midfield and fed Reece Leek who shot wide, then Orrell hit the side netting after his shot was deflected. Brayson's attempted diving head ended up stuck in the mud and Orrell hit the side netting again. It was all Benfield at this point and Dummett should have done better but headed over the bar from a great position. In a rare attack sub Joel Grandison almost found Reece Leek at the far post and then home keeper Grainger dropped a corner but was quick enough to make amends by blocking the follow-up shot by Liam Molesworth. Grainger then saved a Ryan Edmunds shot at the foot of the post. Brayson's cross was headed up in the air by Rob Evans and keeper Paul Hathaway punched clear. Coleshill appeared to have weathered the storm and were slowly getting back into the game. Ryan Edmunds had a shot blocked and Joel Grandison forced a corner. then on 80 minutes, finally, the opening goal. Jorna Moulton won the ball in midfield, fed Reece Leek who in turn fed Ryan Edmunds down the right. Joel Grandison was first to Edmunds' cross ahead of the keeper to head home from a yard out. Breathing space. Well No! Benfield hit back almost immediately! McCarthy controlled a long clearance wide right and crossed into the danger area but the cross eluded keeper Hathaway and planted into the far corner of the net. Sub Tom Fishwick was shown a yellow card for a foul on the edge of the box with the referee 50 yards away, I kid you not! Brayson sent the kick just wide of the post. With seconds to go Joe Cole, who had been moved into a midfield role, was clipped twice whilst shepherding the ball away from goal but with no free kick awarded he kept going, lost control and committed a foul. The whole of the Benfield team surrounded the ref and when things finally settled down Cole was shown a red card. There was still time for Paul Hathaway to palm a Nisbett rocket shot over the bar and so to extra time.

With the players on their last legs due to giving their all for 90 minutes there wasn't too much action in extra time. Gio Dainty's right foot shot was saved by Grainger, McEvoy produced a tackle far worse than Joe Cole's but was only Yellowed, Liam Molesworth shot over the bar on the stretch and Hathaway saved a Nisbett free kick.

The game slowed in the second period of extra time. Benfield sub Dummett shot straight at Hathaway from a great position and Brayson chipped Hathaway but watched as his effort scraped the outside of the post.

So the two sides have to do it all again next Saturday on Coleshill's 3G pitch. It will be a totally different game but on this showing, both sides will be confident of progressing to the 5th round. Another cracker is expected so get yourself down to Pack Meadow.

A Match Report taken from Newcastle Benfield web site

Newcastle Benfield and Coleshill Town served up 120 minutes of classic cup football in this FA Vase fourth round tie at Sam Smith’s Park. With hitherto ever-present James Novak failing a fitness task, Dylan McEvoy slotted in at left back against an opposition who sought to play the ball long as quickly as possible in every possible eventuality.
On a heavy pitch, under slate grey skies that oftentimes leached cold, hard rain, where the persistent, raw wind assaulted exposed flesh with sadistic glee, both teams served up the kind of tumultuous game that all those who witnessed it will be proud to have been in attendance. And yet, despite the heroic efforts of both teams, the home side could not fail to leave the pitch at almost 6pm with a gnawing, insistent sense of what could, should and ought to have been.

Coleshill, though it must be recognised they managed the extra time period with a kind of consummate, quasi continental professionalism, will be delighted if not amazed to leave with a draw.

Paul Brayson has scored 31 goals so far, this season for Newcastle Benfield, including 16 in the cups. He had the chance to notch another on 12 minutes when Scott McCarthy who was the home team’s star player on the day, had his legs swept from under him in the box.
Paul Brayson opted for placement over power and saw a deviation from the pitch cruelly send his low kick against the outside of the post and wide.
Three minutes later Jake Orrell’s magisterial footwork gave Richy Slaughter a clear opportunity on the edge of the box which was placed over the crossbar.
Coleshill then began to come into the game and set up a quartet of opportunities. Firstly, Ryan Edmunds let fly from fully 35 yards and struck the angle of bar and post. Liam Molesworth worked himself a shooting opportunity, but fired straight at the advancing Andrew Grainger. Molesworth then thought he had opened the scoring, tapping in at the back post, but he was adjudged offside. Finally, Giovanni Dainty sent in a gentle curling effort that Andrew Grainger saved comfortably, meaning the two sides went in at the break with a score of 0-0. Straight from the resumption, Benfield went for the jugular. Orrell’s wicked low shot was parried by Coleshill keeper Paul Hathaway, straight into the path of the onrushing McCarthy whose first-time effort was scrambled away. Minutes later McCarthy sent in a perfect cross from the right wing and Brayson threw himself at it only for the ball to be smothered by Hathaway. Orrell played in Brayson and the veteran striker’s delicate chip hit the side netting. Brayson returned the compliment and Orrell chipped Hathaway, only for the ball to drop agonisingly wide.
In the second period, Coleshill’s first effort on goal in the 60th minute saw Reece Leek volley just wide. Their second effort, on 79 minutes, saw substitute Joel Grandison beat Andrew Grainger to a cross and head home. It was a stunning blow; completely against the run of play and out of the blue. All credit to Benfield; within a couple of minutes of going behind, they were level when Scott McCarthy’s cross from the touchline eluded Hathaway and flew in. Perhaps it was a fluke, but it was undeniably deserved, and it signalled an all-out assault by the Lions in search of the winner.
It seemed if things had taken a decisive turn in favour of Benfield when Joseph Cole was dismissed for a crude foul in front of the dug-outs. Once sanity was restored,
Benfield continued to camp in the Coleshill half. With seconds remaining Brayson played a short corner to McEvoy, whose first-time effort was brilliantly tipped over by Hathaway; a foot either side and it would have been a goal.

Sadly, the final whistle began to sap the Benfield energy levels as much as the Coleshill ones. The single chance of the extra period saw Brayson’s effort go agonisingly wide and necessitate a replay at Pack Meadow on Saturday 13th January.
Man of the Match: Scott McCarthy

Return to “First Team Match Reports 2017-2018”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest