Coleshill Town 2 v 1 Westfields

First Team Match Reports 2017-2018

Moderator: Alan Beckett

Alan Beckett
Site Admin
Posts: 2212
Joined: Sat Oct 12, 2002 11:25 am

Coleshill Town 2 v 1 Westfields

Postby Alan Beckett » Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:24 am

Monday 15th January 2018
Midland Football League Premier
Coleshill Town 2 v 1 Westfields
Coleshill: Danny Tymon, Reece Leek pen.
Westfields: Aiden Thomas.
Attendance: 92.
Opposition Player Of The Match: Danny Tymon (Coleshill) Jamie Molyneux.
Supporters Club Man Of The Match, Sponsored By Greensleeves: Danny Tymon.

Colemen: Paul Hathaway (Dominic Cotter), Jorna Moulton, Anton Astley (Joel Grandison), Rob Evans, Tom Fishwick, Danny Tymon, Ryan Edmunds, Joe Halsall, James Hicks (Matt Gardner), Reece Leek, Joe Smith. Subs not used Luke Edwards, James Medford.

Fields: Alex Harris, Kane Kahki, Ben Miller, Sam Plane, Matt Sysum, Sam Mendes, Craig Jones, Jamie Cuss, Mark Magee, Jamie Molyneux, Aidan Thomas. Subs Ben Hayes, John Hopkins, Richard Greaves, James Febery, Haydon Turner.


Manager Cameron Stuart is certainly doing a juggling act with his squad as the Colemen are fighting on four fronts. After the mammoth battle against Newcastle Benfield, Coleshill were straight back into action just two days later in the number one priority, the League but Stuart needed to rest as many players as possible. Captain Joe Halsall returned after suspension and cup tied James Hicks and Joe Smith came in. Joe Cole was serving his second of a three game ban, Gio Dainty, Liam Molesworth and Luke Edwards were rested and Joel Grandison dropped to the bench. Westfields on the other hand had had a weekend off and it showed as they dominated the game for 70 minutes. Bromsgrove Sporting had tweeted that Fields were the best footbally team that they had played and with Craig Jones pulling the strings in midfield, I would have to agree.

The visitors almost had the ball in the net in the first few seconds but for a last ditch save from keeper Paul Hathaway but that only worsened a previous injury and he only last 45 minutes. Westfields had the ball in the net but offside was given and when they hit the bar just before the break they must have thought it just wasn't going to be their day.

Substitute keeper Dominic Cotter was immediately in action as he saved from Magee and then did even better to save from Molyneux but on 52 minutes Thomas intercepted a ball out of defence and punished Coleshill with the opening goal which was no more than Westfields deserved. Amazingly the equaliser came just three minutes later when Joe Halsall cleverly teed up Danny Tymon who hit an unstoppable shot into the net from 20 yards out. This was just the pick-me-up that the Colemen needed and suddenly they were on top. Joe Halsall shot wide from a great position after a cross by Ryan Edmunds. Joel Grandison had a goalbound shot saved by Harris and a Ryan Edmunds shot was cleared off the line. Westfields hit back and had the ball in the net but again it was given offside. Coleshill took the lead from the penalty spot on 72 minutes with a brave decision from the referee, one that you would be disappointed if it was given against you. Reece Leek crossed to the far post and Joel Grandison headed back into the six yard box. Kahki blocked the header with his hands raised. Reece Leek took the kick, Harris saved well but Leek followed up and put the ball in the net. Dominic Cotter saved a fine free kick from Jones and then saved the follow up from Magee as Coleshill came out on top with an unlikely win against an impressive Westfields side.

A Match Report taken from Westfields web site ... stfields6/

Westfields travelled to league leaders Coleshill Town last night and put up a tremendous performance against the title contenders but fell to a late penalty and suffered a 2-1 defeat after producing a workmanlike and good team display.

After a goal-less first half when Mark Magee had had a goal disallowed and other shots had gone narrowly wide for Westfields, the visitors took the lead when Aidan Thomas shot Westfields ahead in the 53rd minute.
However, Westfields could not hold onto their lead and 3 minutes later the league leaders drew level with a great strike from Mike Tymon who beat debutant keeper Alex Harris from 20yds with a fierce drive.
Earlier, Harris in the Westfields goal had provided a competent display, taking dangerous crosses out of the air and fielding long shots from the title contenders.

Westfields played extremely well on the 3G surface and were unlucky not to go ahead when shots from Craig Jones and Jamie Molyneux were both brilliantly saved by the home keeper.
However, drama struck in the 75th minute when Coleshill took the lead from a hotly disputed penalty when Kane Kahaki with his arms in the air was penalised for hand ball and after Alex Harris had brilliantly saved the spot kick a Coleshill player ran in to smash home the rebound and put the home side ahead for the first time.

Westfields still came back and produced a grandstand finish as they tried to draw level and again Craig Jones had a shot charged down and Molyneux fired into the side netting when well placed.

However, the league leaders held on for a slender 2-1 lead and now Westfields face 2 attractive home games with Heanor Town visiting allpay.park on Saturday, kick-off 3pm, and Worcester City the visitors next Wednesday, kick-off 7.45pm.

Return to “First Team Match Reports 2017-2018”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest