Site Admin

Highgate United 2 v 0 Coleshill Town

Postby Alan Beckett » Sun Apr 01, 2018 5:16 pm

Tuesday 27th March 2018
Midland Football League Premier
Highgate United 2 v 0 Coleshill Town
Scorers: Aaron Brown, George Curry.
Attendance: 117.
Opposition Player Of The Match: Ryan Edmunds (Coleshill)

Teams:
Gate: Bradley Catlow, Trevor Edwards, Nathan Pulisciano, Richard Bryan, Scott Turner, Aaron Brown, Corry Currithers, George Curry, Daniel Westwood, James Molyneux, Richard Batchelor. Subs Marco Adaggio, Brad Hayward, James Wilcox, Steven Leslie, Reece Hewitt.

Colemen: Paul Hathaway, Liam Molesworth, Joe Cole, Rob Evans, Ryan Wynter, Danny Tymon, Ryan Edmunds, Joe Halsall, Matt Gardner, Reece Leek, Joe Smith. Subs used Josh Bates, Demitrius Smikle. Subs not used Dominic Cotter GK, Jordan Clements.

COLESHILL HERALD WROTE
Title Chasing Coleshill Suffer Shock Loss

Coleshill's title hopes suffered a setback as goals from Aaron Brown and George Curry earned Highgate a midweek win. Coleshill were the more threatening of the two sides during the opening 45 minutes but had no answer to some determined second half play from the Gate. The best early chance fell to Coleshill on ten minutes as Reece Leek headed behind. Matt Gardner's shoulder height shot was dispatched wide while Leek blasted over the bar from 12 yards in a goalless first half. The first goal came four minutes into the second half as Brown was fouled on a run into the box. Richard Batchelor played Curry's free kick back across the face of goal and there was Brown rising above a stunned defence to direct a classy, if somewhat simple, close range header beyond the reach of Paul Hathaway. Edmunds had a chance to level for Coleshill before Curry beat Hathaway just inside the custodian's left hand post to double their advantage and seal an impressive win.

Coleshill's Race For The Title Is Set To Move Up A Notch
Coleshill Town's title hopes could become clearer over Easter - but skipper Paul Hathaway believes there are twists and turns to come. The Colemen find themselves second in the table after a defeat to Highgate on Tuesday night. They are a point behind leaders Bromsgrove Sporting, who also have a game in hand. But Coleshill travel to bottom club Rocester on Saturday and then host Bromsgrove on Bank Holiday Monday, offering them an opportunity to leapfrog their rivals once again. "It's a big week for us," Hathaway said. "We beat Bromsgrove 4-0 recently so they will be out for some revenge. But we will worry about that game on Monday. I know it's an old cliché but we really do just have to focus on a game at a time, which means Rocester. I think if you start looking too far ahead of yourself you can really take your eye off the ball. We can't afford to do that. We have to just chalk off a fixture at a time. You should never look past the next game. Hopefully we can go to Rocester and get three points. I think as long as we go there and do what we know we can do we will have no issues." Coleshill head into the Rocester game on the back of a 2-0 loss to Highgate, who find themselves fourth in the table. "I have a lot of respect for Highgate and fair play to them," said boss Cameron Stuart. "They are still in the title race and will be there or thereabouts at the end of the season. I thought we shaded the first half and had a few half chances but they came out of the blocks and really kicked on after the break. I can't fault the effort of the lads though," he added. "They gave me all they could and just lost to a good team. The energy levels of both sides were great. It's only our fifth defeat of the season though. The lads have done me proud so far this season and I know they want to go out and finish the job. We'll go to Rocester and hopefully react in the right way to the Highgate loss. They may be bottom but Rocester is no gimme. It's a tough place to go and we will need to be focused."

Return to “First Team Match Reports 2017-2018”