Coleshill Town 0 v 2 Mile Oak Rovers

First Team Match Reports 1980-1981

Moderator: Alan Beckett

Alan Beckett
Site Admin
Posts: 2212
Joined: Sat Oct 12, 2002 11:25 am

Coleshill Town 0 v 2 Mile Oak Rovers

Postby Alan Beckett » Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:07 am

Saturday 1st November 1980
Midland Combination Division 1
Coleshill Town 0 v 2 Mile Oak Rovers

P12 W1 D2 L9 F10 A28 Pts4 Pos 19/20

Team: Tony Allen, Martin Colder, John Blythe.

Mile Oak completely dominated this game with their striker Langan a persistent danger but he failed to capitalise upon some good work. He missed two glorious chances in the opening 10 minutes but Hubbard was on the mark with a 15 yard shot after 16 minutes. Nine minutes later Allen scored the second goal for Mile Oak.

Oak's Derby Win

Mile Oak collected two well earned Midland Combination points from their local "derby" at Coleshill and the 2-0 win could have been greater. Oak started confidently and created chances right from the whistle. Langan hit the post and then again went close with a firm header into the side netting. The work rate of Hubbard and Langan up front caused havoc with Coleshill's defence and it came as no surprise when Oak took the lead. Shilton came from deep with a fine run and Hubbard made no mistake with a left foot shot. Oak increased the lead on 28 minutes when an inch perfect cross found Langan on the far post. He laid it back into the path of Allen, who made no mistake with a first class shot into the roof of the net. For 20 minutes after the interval, Oak allowed Coleshill to dictate the game and they were unfortunate not to score on two occasions - one a header being denied by the woodwork. Langan and Hubbard should have increased Oak's lead and Langan's unlucky day was capped when he blazed over the bar when only three yards out.

First Half Failings

After taking three points from their two previous games, Coleshill gave a disappointing first half display and tumbled to defeat at the hands of a fast improving Mile Oak side. Langham was the inspiration of many Mile Oak attacks but he was also guilty of wasting scoring chances and it was Hubbard who put Rovers in front in the 16th minute with a 15 yard shot. After 25 minutes Mile Oak made it 2-0 through Allan and Coleshill were struggling. Fortunately the visitors failed to capitalise on some smart approach work and home full back, Terry Allen, excelled with fine clearances. It was a different story in the second half. Coleshill snapped out of their complacency to even up the exchanges and then enjoy periods of domination. Martin Colder headed against the crossbar and also went close to scoring on two other occasions, while John Blythe was also prominent, but luck was against Coleshill when their appeals for a penalty were turned down. After the match Coleshill’s manager Mel Strong said: “We never got going in the first half, but there was a big improvement after the interval. I must now reconsider team tactics, because John Blythe received very little support up front.” This Saturday Coleshill visit bottom club Evesham United who last Saturday lost 9-1 away to Moor Green.

Return to “First Team Match Reports 1980-1981”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest