Evesham United 0 v 0 Coleshill Town - Challenge Cup

First Team Match Reports 1980-1981

Moderator: Alan Beckett

Alan Beckett
Site Admin
Posts: 2230
Joined: Sat Oct 12, 2002 11:25 am

Evesham United 0 v 0 Coleshill Town - Challenge Cup

Postby Alan Beckett » Wed Nov 01, 2017 2:44 pm

Saturday 3rd January 1980
Midland Combination Challenge Cup Round 3 Replay
Evesham United 0 v 0 Coleshill Town After Extra Time

Team: Tony Sammons, Steve Howes, Terry Allen, Neil Hobbs, Rick Allen, Les Stonebridge, John Blythe, Mark Browning, John Edwards, Steve Lamb, Steve Osman. Sub Mel Strong (Manager). (Confirmed)

Evesham looked like grabbing an early goal when the ball reached Reilly on the edge of the six yard box but Sammons bravely dived at his feet to smother the shot. When Coleshill broke the Evesham grip, Edwards just failed to get his foot to a cross with the goal at his mercy. Sammons was lucky when he stopped a shot from Reilly with his legs. The ball was scrambled away as it was fired in again. The busy Reilly was again in the right spot but wasted the chance by putting his shot past the far post with only the keeper to beat. Apart from the occasional breakaway, little was seen of the Coleshill attack towards the end of the half, though Evesham were unable to take advantage of their territorial advantage.
Half Time: Evesham United 0 Coleshill Town 0.

Evesham kept up the pressure after the break and Sammons was forced to make good saves from Roberts and Edrop in quick succession. With no goals scored, the match went into extra time.

After 210 minutes of football, the two sides are still deadlocked and will have to play a third time for a place in the fourth round of the Challenge Cup. Evesham had enough chances to have won and in extra time they hit the post. Good goalkeeping by Sammons kept Coleshill in the game in the first half and after he had made two brilliant saves early in the second, Roberts completely missed the ball with an open goal in front of him.

Coleshill Live To Fight Again

The two bottom clubs in the Midland Combination First Division are locked together in a marathon Challenge Cup battle. They have now played 210 minutes in a bid to reach the fourth round. A weakened Coleshill side, without the services of Paul Hevringham, Martin Colder and Barrie Canning battled bravely, but now face another visit to Evesham, who won the toss for choice of ground. Coleshill's manager Mel Strong was forced to name himself as sub and had to take the field at half time owing to an injury to les Stonebridge. Showing great determination Coleshill were inspired by a brilliant display from keeper Tony Sammons who foiled Evesham's attack time and again and made spectacular saves, especially from Reilly, Roberts and Edrop. Evesham had a host of chances to win the game but with Roberts missing an open goal and shots thwarted by the woodwork, Coleshill were let off the hook. From the early stages when Sammons dived bravely at the feet of Reilly, the Coleshill defence took a hammering but Steve Osman, Neil Hobbs and Terry Owen (not mentioned before so maybe this is Terry Allen) supported their keeper in a determined rear-guard action. Little was seen of Coleshill as an attacking force, although Steve Lamb showed enough aggression to worry the homesters in spasmodic raids. Even in Extra time Evesham failed to break down Coleshill's dogged resistance, despite all-out attacks. This Saturday Coleshill hope to have Hevringham and Colder back in their line up when they receive West Midlands Police at Pack Meadow for a Midland Combination First Division match.

Table at this date: P17 W1 D3 L13 F13 A41 Pts5 Pos20/20

Return to “First Team Match Reports 1980-1981”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests