Coleshill Town 0 v 3 West Midlands Police

First Team Match Reports 1980-1981

Moderator: Alan Beckett

Alan Beckett
Site Admin
Posts: 2205
Joined: Sat Oct 12, 2002 11:25 am

Coleshill Town 0 v 3 West Midlands Police

Postby Alan Beckett » Wed Nov 01, 2017 2:45 pm

Saturday 10th January 1980
Midland Combination Division 1
Coleshill Town 0 v 3 West Midlands Police

P18 W1 D3 L14 F13 A44 Pts5 Pos20/20 (Confirmed) Chipping Norton Top.

Team: Tony Sammons, Mark Browning,

Coleshill Town got no change from the Police, after Scriven had given his side a 2-0 lead he was in a good position to complete his hat-trick. He decided, however, to pass the ball which allowed Buttress to complete a conclusive win for the Police, on this form it looks a difficult task for Coleshill to get away from the bottom spot.

Early pressure by Police put Coleshill on the defensive but the backline stood firm until just before half time when the Police went ahead through Scriven who dummied the keeper and hit an unstoppable left foot shot into the net. Early second half pressure saw a shot by Keen saved by Sammons on the edge of the box and a shot by Scriven go just over the top, but Coleshill should have equalised when the Police failed to clear but nobody could get on the end of a fine cross by Browning. The Police went further ahead when Scriven forced his way through the Coleshill defence on to a fine through ball and fired a low hard shot into the bottom corner of the net. Police made it three just before the end when unselfish Scriven passed to Scott instead of trying to score himself and after his shot had bounced off the keeper Buttress turned well and slotted the ball home.

Coleshill Face Relegation

Following this defeat at Pack Meadow poor Coleshill are three points adrift at the bottom of the Midland Combination First Division with only one win in 18 games. Manager Mel Strong's hopes that the New Year would see an uplift in Coleshill's fortunes were cruelly shattered by a determined Police side, who had the homesters on the defensive for long periods. Coleshill defended well for most of the first half, but just before half time Scriven gave Police the lead with an unstoppable left foot shot that gave Tony Sammons no chance of saving. Sammons prevented Police from increasing their lead early in the second half, saving a shot from Keen, but he was pleased to see an effort from Scriven go over the crossbar. Hesitancy in the Police rear-guard gave Coleshill an opportunity of equalising but there was no-one on hand to apply the finishing touch, after Browning had created the opening with a fine cross. Police went further ahead through Scriven who burst through to fire in a low shot that left Sammons stranded. Near the end Police sealed the issue. Scriven was again to the fore teeing the ball up for Scott to have a shot blocked by Sammons, but the ball rebounded to buttress who turned well to slot in goal number three. "We were in contention until the Police scored the first goal almost on half time." said manager Mel Strong and added: "Lack of concentration in defence was again our undoing. Some of our players have got to believe in themselves. I know they are capable of lifting us off the bottom, but they must keep going for 90 minutes."

Return to “First Team Match Reports 1980-1981”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest