Highgate United 4 v 1 Coleshill Town

First Team Match Reports 1980-1981

Moderator: Alan Beckett

Alan Beckett
Site Admin
Posts: 2212
Joined: Sat Oct 12, 2002 11:25 am

Highgate United 4 v 1 Coleshill Town

Postby Alan Beckett » Wed Feb 28, 2018 5:51 pm

Saturday 17th January 1980
Midland Combination Division 1
Highgate United 4 v 1 Coleshill Town
Scorer: Mark Browning.

P19 W1 D3 L15 F14 A48 Pts5 Pos20/20 Confirmed.

Team: Tony Sammons, Steve Howes, Neil Hobbs, Barry Canning, Paul Hevringham, Colin Brittle (debut), John Blythe, Steve Lamb, Mark Browning, Martin Colder, Terry Allen. Sub John Edwards.

Two classic headed goals by striker Roger Shaw brightened up an otherwise uninspiring first half which was played in conditions of torrential rain. Highgate snatched the lead after 15 minutes when Shaw glanced a Brosnan cross into the Coleshill net after the visitors had two lucky let offs in a goalmouth melee. Coleshill were pegged back for long periods and when they managed to break through they created few problems for Highgate's immaculate defence and goalkeeper Rushton was a by-stander. Shaw added a second after 36 minutes when he rose above the Coleshill defence to head a Hemphill cross into the corner of the net from the edge of the six yard box. Highgate were awarded a free kick while inside the penalty box after 43 minutes.
Half Time: Highgate 2 Coleshill 0.

Highgate United were comfortable winners in their home match against bottom club Coleshill Town. Roger Shaw got two goals in the first half, further goals by Wiseman and Brookes sealed Coleshill's fate who now face a gigantic task to move away from the bottom.

Two goals from Roger Shaw paved the way for a convincing victory for Highgate United against lethargic Coleshill. Shaw opened the scoring after 15 minutes when he headed in Brosman's cross, then he added a second after 34 minutes glancing a Hemphill cross into the corner of the net. Shaw had a hand in Highgate's third goal after 58 minutes. He crossed from the left wing to Steve Wisemen, who powered through to score after shrugging off three defenders. Coleshill's new signing Colin Brittle attempted a suicidal back pass after 74 minutes, leaving Brookes with the simplest of chances. Coleshill grabbed a consolation goal through Browning eight minutes from time.

Uninspired Win For Highgate

Two dream goals by striker Roger Shaw put Highgate United well on the way to a comfortable victory over bottom of the table Coleshill Town in an uninspired contest at The Coppice. Shaw displayed all his old magic with two classic headed goals in the first half of a game marred by a torrential downpour. Highgate, playing well below their capabilities were never seriously threatened by their abysmal opposition and Coleshill had keeper Sammons to thank for saving them from an embarrassing scoreline. Shaw gave Highgate a deserved 15th minute lead when he headed a cross from Gerry Brosnan into the top right hand corner of the net after the visitors goal had two let offs in the space of a minute. Shaw struck again after 36 minutes when he rose to meet a superbly placed cross from skipper Roddy Hemphill and headed the ball into the net from an acute angle well out of the helpless Sammon's reach. Roger Shaw engineered Highgate's third goal after 58 minutes when he crossed from the left wing to Steve Wiseman who powered through to score after shrugging off the challenge of three Coleshill defenders. Coleshill new man Brittle had the misfortune to try and break up another Highgate raid in the 74th minute by lobbing a suicidal back pass to Sammons. But the ball never reached the keeper and Johnny Brookes was left with a golden opportunity to hit the back of the net. Coleshill snatched a consolation goal with eight minutes remaining, when Browning was put through by Howes and rolled the ball under the advancing Paul Rushton, who had been a bystander for most of the game.

Coleshill Slump To Another Defeat

Coleshill slumped to their 15th defeat in 19 Midland Combination First Division games, being forced to give second best to an accomplished Highgate side. Veteran striker roger Shaw put Highgate in the driving seat with two headed goals in the first half, enlivening the proceedings which were played in conditions of torrential rain. Shaw opened the scoring in the 15th minute, glancing a cross from Brosnam past keeper Sammons after Coleshill had been subjected to a period of heavy pressure. In the 36th minute Shaw headed home a cross from Hemphill and Coleshill struggled to keep in the running. Little was seen of the visitors attack and after 58 minutes Shaw had a hand in Highgate's third goal when he crossed the ball from the left for Wiseman to power his way past three defenders and confidently beat Sammons. Coleshill's newcomer Colin Brittle conceded a fourth goal when he attempted a suicidal back-pass and Brookes nipped in to increase Highgate's lead. Only consolation for Coleshill came eight minutes from the end when Browning showed plenty of determination to pull a goal back.

Return to “First Team Match Reports 1980-1981”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest