First Team Match Reports 1980-1981

Moderator: Alan Beckett

Alan Beckett
Site Admin

Coleshill Town 0 v 2 Racing Club Warwick

Postby Alan Beckett » Wed Feb 28, 2018 6:23 pm

CHELMSLEY NEWS WROTE
Vital Points At Stake

Coleshill Town will be searching for vital Midland Combination first Division points when they meet Racing Club Warwick at Pack Meadow this Saturday. Languishing at the bottom of the table Coleshill have nine points from 22 games and are in great danger of being relegated. Racing are eighth from the bottom with 23 points from 22 games.

Saturday 7th March 1981
Midland Combination Division 1
Coleshill Town 0 v 2 Racing Club Warwick

P23 W3 D3 L17 F18 A55 Pts9 Pos20/20 Confirmed.

Team: Tony Sammons, Steve Howes, Neil Hobbs, Colin Cook, Terry Allen, Shaun Tymon, Martin Colder, Paul Hevringham, Steve Lamb, Mark Browning, Barry Canning. Sub John Blythe.

SPORTS ARGUS WROTE
Coleshill Town found themselves trailing by a two goal deficit at a wind swept Pack Meadow. Coleshill survived an early onslaught from the visitors who gained a number of corners but Tony Fammine (Terry Sammons) in the home goal was rarely troubled. It took Racing until the 29th minute to breach the resolute home defence and it followed a neat piece of football. Cliff Morby and Paul Coleman combined on the left and Morby broke through. His first shot was parried by Fammine (Sammons) but the alert Morby followed up to slot into the unguarded net. Coleshill hit back well and following sustained pressure Alan Rodgers did well to hold a dangerous cross from Steve Lamb. Racing grabbed a second in the 43rd minute when Morby, who was always dangerous on the left, sent in a deep cross and Steve Edgington was on hand to head past the stranded Fammine (Sammons).
Half Time: Coleshill Town 0 Racing Club Warwick 2.

CHELMSLEY NEWS WROTE
Coleshill Boss Says "We Can Still Stay Up."

Coleshill crashed to their 17th defeat of the season and it looks as if they are doomed for relegation into the Second Division of the Midland Combination. Once again Mel Strong's men played with plenty of enthusiasm in the second half but Racing, a mediocre middle of the table side, gained the initiative prior to the interval with two goals. Wind swept Pack Meadow provided little comfort for the players as they strove to master the conditions and it was racing who looked the more likely to score in the opening stages as they forced several corners, but home keeper Sammons was not unduly troubled. Coleshill defended well, but in the 25th minute Morby and Coleman combined effectively for Morby to score after his first shot had been parried out by Sammons. It became Racing's turn to back pedal and Steve Lamb went close to equalise but his dangerous cross/shot was held safely by keeper Rodgers. Racing increased their lead two minutes from half time when Morby, who was always dangerous, sent in a deep cross for Steve Edington to head home. Racing appeared content to sit back in the second half and Coleshill enjoyed territorial advantage with Barrie Canning, twice, and Steve Lamb both going close to levelling matters. On the question of relegation Coleshill's manager Mel Strong will not accept that his team is already down. He said this week "If I say we are doomed now, then it is time for me to take out my golf clubs. They are staying in the cupboard and only when it is mathematically impossible for us to stay up will I concede that we will be relegated. We still have 15 games to play and several of those are against teams in the lower half of the table. I admit we were terrible against Racing. They were two yards faster than us, but my players have got to stop feeling sorry for themselves. They have got to battle on and if they do then I still say we can escape the drop." Mel Strong's confidence was boosted this week with the news that aggressive front runner Steve Tolley has now recovered from a long injury and could be in the line up to meet fellow strugglers Walsall Sportsco at Pack Meadow this Saturday.

Return to “First Team Match Reports 1980-1981”